UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Fertitta: UFC is bigger than any one fighter

3/11/11 1:14 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1059 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

Frank Shamrock is one of the most vocal critics of the way the UFC does business. His chief complaint is that the fighters aren't put first because the UFC brand is more important. Lorenzo Fertitta defended the brand, telling HDNet's Mike Straka that unlike boxing, that brand sets up fighters for the future.

"Not to take anything away from the fighters, but at the end of the day, the UFC has to go on forever. It has to live forever, right?  Fighters are going to come, they're going to participate and then they're going to live with that brand and they're going to benefit from that brand for the rest of their life," said Fertitta (10:15 mark).

read entire article...

3/11/11 1:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Chimonos Revenge
264 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Frank Shamrock is irrelevant.
3/11/11 1:27 PM
Chris
350 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Partner
 it's nice to hear Lorenzo's opinion. most of them time Dana is the sole public face of the company.
3/11/11 1:28 PM
BrockCrushesFedor
304 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Any one fighter yes? But all fighters? NO
3/11/11 1:33 PM
MayheM
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What a bright businessman.
3/11/11 1:38 PM
Aural_Apocalypse
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MayheM -  What a bright businessman.

Is he wrong? I can't tell if that's sarcasm, I'll just assume it is. :)
3/11/11 1:38 PM
Herring In A Fur Coat

FightMatrix.com, MMA Rankings
 He's right.
3/11/11 1:44 PM
MillhouseMMA
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not true, if no other stars come along in the future, they're fucked.
3/11/11 1:46 PM
jjj2121

MillhouseMMA - Not true, if no other stars come along in the future, they're fucked.

He is not saying that they don't need fighters, but that the brand is bigger than any one fighter.

And he's absolutely right.
3/11/11 1:48 PM
WrestlingSucks
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hes correct. fighters in the ufc need to start a union and that has to start with the top drawing fighters because mid carders are easily replaced and dismissed. Guys Like gsp and anderson have to be at the forefront

Without a union, fighters are defenseless. however, as shown by fedor, when a fighter is bigger than the sport there are negative sides as well
3/11/11 1:49 PM
jjj2121

WrestlingSucks - Hes correct. fighters in the ufc need to start a union and that has to start with the top drawing fighters because mid carders are easily replaced and dismissed. Guys Like gsp and anderson have to be at the forefront

Without a union, fighters are defenseless. however, as shown by fedor, when a fighter is bigger than the sport there are negative sides as well

A union will never happen.  Not in combat sports.
3/11/11 1:50 PM
goku

lo is correct
3/11/11 1:51 PM
goku

MillhouseMMA - Not true, if no other stars come along in the future, they're fucked.

stars can be manufactured son...take forrest for example...generally no athleticism or finishing power but hes one of the most popular ufc fighters ever
3/11/11 1:52 PM
Hong Kong Phooey
798 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MayheM -  What a bright businessman.

3/11/11 1:54 PM
EBM
218 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jjj2121 - A union will never happen.  Not in combat sports.

Care to divulge?
3/11/11 1:57 PM
jjj2121

EBM - 

Care to divulge?

The fighters are all pretty much independent contractors who are entirely out for themselves.  What would be the motivation for someone like Brock Lesnar to try and get a union started?  The stars get what they want now anyway.  Plus, the turnover rate is obscenely high with people coming and going nonstop from the UFC, how would the union cover guys who aren't in the UFC anymore? 

Unions have been tried and failed in boxing, I just don't see it ever happening.
3/11/11 1:57 PM
Aural_Apocalypse
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jjj2121 - 
WrestlingSucks - Hes correct. fighters in the ufc need to start a union and that has to start with the top drawing fighters because mid carders are easily replaced and dismissed. Guys Like gsp and anderson have to be at the forefront

A union will never happen.  Not in combat sports.

I would argue (american) football is worse on your body (specifically head injuries, ie. concussions) and they have a union. So you really can't say it will never happen.
3/11/11 2:02 PM
Cyril Jeff
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lo-Fer ALWAYS kills interviews, he should cut more...

3/11/11 2:05 PM
EBM
218 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jjj2121 - 
EBM - 

Care to divulge?

The fighters are all pretty much independent contractors who are entirely out for themselves.  What would be the motivation for someone like Brock Lesnar to try and get a union started?  The stars get what they want now anyway.  Plus, the turnover rate is obscenely high with people coming and going nonstop from the UFC, how would the union cover guys who aren't in the UFC anymore? 

Unions have been tried and failed in boxing, I just don't see it ever happening.

How many Brock Lesnar's are out there? Just like how many Tom Brady's play in the NFL? A union wouldn't cover guys after their UFC career. Ex-NFL players see little to no benefits from the NFL once their careers are over. And all medical expenses are paid out of pocket ex-players. I know boxing has tried several times but a union would help stabilize the sport of MMA.
3/11/11 2:09 PM
jjj2121

EBM - 
jjj2121 - 
EBM - 

Care to divulge?

How many Brock Lesnar's are out there? Just like how many Tom Brady's play in the NFL? A union wouldn't cover guys after their UFC career. Ex-NFL players see little to no benefits from the NFL once their careers are over. And all medical expenses are paid out of pocket ex-players. I know boxing has tried several times but a union would help stabilize the sport of MMA.
I'm not saying it shouldn't happen, I'm just saying my opinion is that it won't.

Retired players absolutely get benefits in the NFL and one of the current negotiating points is increasing/expanding those benefits.

Re: Lesnar/Brady, the big names of the UFC would have to be on the front lines of this, little guys that tried to get a movement going would get flushed out.  I believe Pavia started throwing the U word around a couple years ago and he's been on the Zuffa shitlist ever since.

jjj2121

Edited: 03/11/11 2:09 PM
dbl
NDmmafan
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That shouldn't be a problem. Take Jon Jones as an example. He wins next weekend and the guy could be a star for a very very long time.
3/11/11 2:10 PM
The Sultan
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
3/11/11 2:11 PM
NDmmafan
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That shouldn't be a problem. Take Jon Jones as an example. He wins next weekend and the guy could be a star for a very very long time.
3/11/11 2:30 PM
WrestlingSucks
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jjj2121 - 
EBM - 
jjj2121 - 
EBM - 

Care to divulge?

I'm not saying it shouldn't happen, I'm just saying my opinion is that it won't.

Retired players absolutely get benefits in the NFL and one of the current negotiating points is increasing/expanding those benefits.

Re: Lesnar/Brady, the big names of the UFC would have to be on the front lines of this, little guys that tried to get a movement going would get flushed out.  I believe Pavia started throwing the U word around a couple years ago and he's been on the Zuffa shitlist ever since.

This Is what im saying. the top fighters have real negotiating power...until they don't by losing.

If gsp, anderson, lesnar, forrest, bj penn and company demanded benefits for fighters who have been employeed by the company for three year or more , the ball would begin to roll, imo.

I'm not talking about making prelim fighters millionaires. I'm talking about creating a balanced system that gives stability to those who are making the ufc money.

promoters have alot of leverage and the top fighters currently happy with their situation probably don't see what could be

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.