UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> The Myth of Religious Neutrality

3/12/11 1:07 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ridgeback
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I linked this video on the OG last year, but I thought I would put it up here.  It is a talk given by a retired professor of Philosophy at Cambridge (he is American) for a group of Orthodox Christians (I think he is not Orthodox but some other brand of Christianity).  Anyway, his basic argument is that there is no such thing as being religious neutral when it comes to theories of reality since they all rely on what he calls "divinity beliefs."  It is actually the traditional biblical view rather than the modern notion of religious and  non-religious theories.  

http://distancelearning.iocs.cam.ac.uk/videos/index.php?page=videos&groupid=67748&videoid=140
3/13/11 4:00 PM
Joe Ray
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"when it comes to theories of reality since they all rely on what he calls "divinity beliefs." "

By that do you mean that they all depend on a metaphysical basis?
3/13/11 11:46 PM
Ridgeback
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe Ray - "when it comes to theories of reality since they all rely on what he calls "divinity beliefs." "

By that do you mean that they all depend on a metaphysical basis?

His definition of a divinity belief is the assignment of the attributes of self-existence and that upon which all else depends to at least one thing.  Since a materialist can do this with matter, no, I don't think it has to be metaphysical basis except in the sense that believing it is something that you couldn't arrive at through physical evidence alone.  

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.