UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Contacts and fighting

3/13/11 6:18 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Nicholas Sutera
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just kinda curious about this. I might be taking my first fight sometime soon, and I wear contacts. Just wondering what the health risks are fighting with contacts in. I don't know of any fighters or anyone that fights with contacts, otherwise I'd ask them. So, just kinda curious about this. Might I mention, I'm near-sighted, so fighting without contacts would mean I'm not gonna see anything.
3/13/11 8:16 PM
JeremyA

Nicolas, 

I spar with contacts and experienced a PVD that caused floaters in my right eye. This happened a few days ago and theres a chance my condition can get better. But just a general heads up that this can happen. 

Im also curious if other fighters have gotten floaters from a fight or training how long it took them to dissapate if they ever did. 
3/14/11 3:36 AM
Nicholas Sutera

Could you explain, for the folks at home, what a floater is?

I'm terribly unaware as to what it might be, but it sounds like it might have something to do with pain.
3/14/11 6:36 PM
JeremyA

A floater for me is a cobweb type of thread that I always see in my field of vision since my vitreaous detachment due to a punch happened last friday. They could possible settle to the bottom of the eye with time. But sometimes they are permanent and as my dr has told me I will "learn to live with it" . Its jelly from the back of your eye peeling off and becoming suspended in your eye. 

id love to hear from others that have experienced floaters from sparring or blows to the head and chime in on what their recovery time was. 
6/11/11 4:47 AM
bullshark

i fight in acuvue oasys and i an opthamologist
6/11/11 9:34 AM
Seul
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^I wear those, too (acuvue oasys); they're fantastic.

I wrestled/grappled for years, and boxed for about a year and a half without problems. I've never really tried to compete (had a smoker to see what it's like in front of a crowd, but it's always been about fun, exercise, and self-defense for me), so I can't really speak to that.

At first I would occasionally lose contacts during sparring, but it stopped after i tightened up my defense. It's sort of a wake-up call: if you lose a contact, it's because the other guys glove TOUCHED YOUR EYE. That's how people get permanent eye injuries.

Once I got better about tucking my chin, slipping, and parrying, I went more than a year without losing a contact (and presumably, without getting anyone's glove in my eye); I feel like keeping my chin tucked was the most important, as it made eye-level punches catch my on my forehead/temple more than my cheekbones and eye sockets.
9/4/11 4:30 PM
MrMuayThai83

I had that problem wehn i first started sparring in MT. I'm near-sighted too, so going w/o my contacts isn't really an option. Like Seul, I had to learn to tighten my defense too. Doing anything with one contact sucks. Also, keep your eyes open & your hands up. Work on slipping & parrying, if they can't hit you, they can't knock your contact out!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.