UnderGround Forums

Kickboxing UnderGround >> MT foot care

3/13/11 8:20 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Gilbum
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Been training for about 6 months now and I keep running into the same problem: the skin on the underside of by big toes and the balls of my feet keep callusing up and cracking. It's painful.

For several months now I've been applying good quality lotion (my GF's bodyshop stuff - hemp body butter or foot cream) to them, but it just seems to slow down the process. I have also tried letting the skin dry out, then buffing it down smooth with one of those heel buffing things, then lotioning again.

Is there a better way to deal with this issue? Would tape on my toes be silly? Is there a way to just build up a solid callus that won't break open?

Thanks in advance.
3/13/11 10:01 PM
Ryukyu Damashi
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did you have a potato chip size chunk rip off your foot from pivoting while kicking? If not...please STFU (joke)

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d163/matthewjnielsen/IMG_0173.jpg
3/14/11 12:18 AM
sevenone
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Man! this is Muay Thai, not table tennis. I know it can be painfully annoying but this will be a small concern if you continue to train hard you're in for a world of hurt just nature of the sport.
The lotion is probably making it worse imo.
Your skin will toughen up just train consitantly and stick with it.
3/14/11 12:23 AM
Gilbum

Ryukyu Damashi - Did you have a potato chip size chunk rip off your foot from pivoting while kicking?

Wow. That looks awful. How long till you were back up on that foot?

The lotion is probably making it worse imo.
Your skin will toughen up just train consitantly and stick with it.

I was wondering if the lotion was counter-productive. So just let it build up and crack, then build up again you say? Any advice for toughing it up more efficiently?
3/14/11 9:32 AM
Ryukyu Damashi
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It happened in Thailand, so I just taped it up and kept training. It did kinda suck though. Phone Post
3/14/11 10:07 PM
770mdm
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When you have built up calluses right next to un-callused skin it will rip and tear.   You can't let one part of your toe or foot get callused up while right next to the callus it's tender skin.  you have to cut or buff/shave pummel stone, the dead skin down.  I used to pinch the cut skin together and super glue it shut.  That helped heal the cuts while allowing me to continue training.  Just don't let the glue into the cut!  When the callused part is shaved it will give the tender part a chance to get tougher and become more resilient.  
3/15/11 2:20 AM
Gilbum

That makes good sense. Thanks!
3/15/11 9:25 AM
KwikTempah

"Been training for about 6 months now and I keep running into the same problem: the skin on the underside of by big toes and the balls" Phone Post
5/19/11 10:49 AM
Tyler Toner
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Use bag balm or aquaphor. When my toes start cracking badly, I put that shit on, then put a sock over it before I go to sleep.
5/19/11 5:02 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bag balm is great for cracked skin. Any farmer will tell you!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.