UnderGround Forums

JKD UnderGround >> Who is JKD?

3/14/11 10:53 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Joe Maffei
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The “what is JKD” thread had lot’s of opinions, it also might help just to see JKD in action. Here are a few folks who IMHO understand JKD

Michal Phelps: Swimmer
Matthias Steiner: Weightlifting
Colby Bryant; Basketball
Muhammad Ali: Boxing
Buddy Rich: Drumming
Mario Andretti: Racecar driver
Michael Symon: Cooking

JKD is anyone who understands the mechanics of their endeavor in the simplest, most direct, and economical way to achieve high quality performance.

Just because someone does MMA does not mean he understands JKD, but there are many in MMA who are JKD, they might not know it as JKD but their movement and performance reveals it.

There are also those in JKD who are not JKD and their movement reveals it.
3/14/11 2:47 PM
BigSifu
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JKD is simplicity,directness and efficiency in performance. JKD is different for everyone and needs to be experienced,not "learned". The music analogy always works for me. Many play an instrument,but only a few are truly "artists".

Joe,you continue to remind me of how far I have to go (grow) yet.
3/14/11 10:13 PM
markijkd

I agree with the abstract but I would say they are "JKD Like"...

M...
3/14/11 11:20 PM
keseki
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/18/11 11:51 PM
v
3/15/11 11:10 AM
Joe Maffei
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bigsifu thanks brother we all have a long way to go... :-)

Mark to me JKD is not abstract? it is at the other end of abstract. It is not "like" anything it is "something". Mike Phelps learned the mechanics of how to propel through water at great speeds. That is not abstract, that is real, he learned and understands the physics behind his movement, the timing, the rhythm, body rotation, buoyancy, gravity. Phelps just didn't experience swimming and become Olympic champ, he learned the mechanics and practiced his ass off.

Keseki Buddy Rich IMHO was JKD because he understood the physics of drumming. He learned to hit the drum head and control the rebound (lever and spring) with perfect timing, rhythm, speed all coordinated to create even strokes. His arms at a perfect 90 angle allowing economical movement, no wasted motion, tight, balanced. Rich didn't just experience drumming, he practiced is ass off.

Both these guys understand the mechanics behind their craft. There is no sign that says this is JKD, but anyone who witnesses their performance would say
WOW!!! Those guys have it.

IMHO You don't experience JKD, you earn it.. You earn it by learning the mechanics of the technique and abiding by the laws of physics so the technique is sound.

JKD it not about philosophy or metaphors, that is just playing hide and seek.
3/15/11 12:15 PM
WidespreadPanic

IMO the concept of 'delivery system' trumps the idea of JKD. You can identify JKD if you see it, but what can you do with it? Can you describe how they did what they're doing?
3/15/11 10:45 PM
markijkd

Joe,

I am not saying that JKD is abstract, I am saying your statement was. I still say they are JKD like in their craft and agree on most of what you say about quality, effiiency and effectiveness.

Wide Spread Panic,

JKD's Delivery system is a fencing/boxing hybrid. It emphasizes disengagement but is very aggressive. A paradox to most...

Respects
Mark
3/15/11 11:39 PM
keseki
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/18/11 11:50 PM
z
3/16/11 9:14 AM
WidespreadPanic

markijkd - Joe,

Wide Spread Panic,

JKD's Delivery system is a fencing/boxing hybrid. It emphasizes disengagement but is very aggressive. A paradox to most...

Respects
Mark
I'd disagree. Ask yourself 'what makes or would make JKD' work? That's the delivery system. It would be equivalent to BJJ, which has guard and mount, close contact and 'the tap', but describing a no-contact initiation art where you start at a distance outside and have to close the gap.

3/16/11 10:10 PM
markijkd

You can close the gap or they may close the gab. It can also start with engagement to disengage from. Long, middle, close no matter... Engagement is an touch other than striking itself...
3/17/11 9:17 AM
Joe Maffei

Edited: 03/17/11 9:19 AM
Let's stay on track here guys.

WP: dude you owe us a trapping vid??? :) If you can't do it I understand bro I'm just funn'in with you.

Guys The term JKD is just a saying, a catch phase referring to something that is, right, sound, proper, done correctly.

The story is Bruce and Dan would use the "word" like
That band is JKD
That food is JKD
That car is JKD, or, the cat's ass, the bee's knees, hip, cool, the bomb!!!!

JKD is not a style of fighting,it's a 60's word that describes how fighting/or anything is done.

You would not say
That car is delivery system. You would just not use that in the same context.

I personally like the term DS. But some one can use that DS and be JKD and someone can use the DS and not be JKD, How is that possible???

One uses the DS and his striking has bad form, he is dominated in the clinch, has loose and sloppy technique in his finishes on the ground, the term we use here is
"he sucks"
The second guy is solid and sound in all aspects of his game. The term we use here is "he's JKD, he's awesome. he's wicked pissa, he's the bee's knees. ...:-

Many confuse the word JKD with styles of fighting like Jun Fan, Sumo, Boxing MMA etc and it's not, it's 3 letters that's used like a word to describe
3/17/11 11:48 AM
WidespreadPanic

One of the greatest 'JKD' type guys, imo, was Vince Lombardi. He had broken the game down to it's simpler aspects and incorporated the mental game.

3/17/11 2:55 PM
BigSifu

II'm inclined to agree with Joe. I thought Matt Thorton put this stuff to bed a long time ago? "JKD" the idea,is bigger than Bruce Lee. "Truth in combat" is fairly easy to prove. I see the physical techniques taught during Lee's lifetime as "Jun Fan". "JKD" is a set of concepts that can be applied to any functional delivery system.
3/17/11 9:58 PM
markijkd

So JKD is a metaphor for Quality? Why use a metaphor and not call this forum Quality?

M...
3/18/11 9:54 AM
Joe Maffei

Because it doesn't matter what "It's" called, any name will do.
It's not the sign out front, it's the food inside...:-)
3/19/11 10:04 AM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There is the functional core of what JKD "could" potentially facilitate in an individual.

There is the simple totality of what JKD "could" include.

Each person will be different in their need.

Some individuals will be 80% firearms and 20% defensive tactics. This will be perfect for their "probable" needs.

Others will be 10% firearms and 90% strike/clinch/ground.

Still others will be 50% pepper spray, 25% avoidance and 25% verbal judo.

And others will be 50% hire a bodyguard and 50% live a less aggressive life.
3/19/11 7:11 PM
John Frankl
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Demi,

Others will get really fat and sit around talking about "what Bruce did."
3/19/11 8:01 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

John,

I believe that to be true...
3/20/11 9:05 PM
Demitrius Barbito

Edited: 03/22/11 11:24 AM
Echo, echo, echo,...
3/21/11 12:39 PM
Ezekiel

JKD is the same mentality and process of thinking as the meaning of Kung Fu. Phone Post
3/21/11 6:49 PM
John Frankl
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sorry Yoshida:)

And Ezekiel, this may be true...in the same sort of way that Aikido practitioners TALK about principles very much like those used in BJJ. The way they actually train, of course, is entirely a different thing.
3/22/11 1:37 AM
markijkd

Hopeless... Same old shit different day...
3/22/11 3:53 PM
Joe Maffei

Mark: Consistency is a good thing, it is the counter balance to improvisation ..LOL
Ahhh balance, ya gotta love it, it makes everything work right....:-)

Ezekial ...In my opinion, it is exactly like saying Kung Fu which means as you know.......clean technique. Good one
3/22/11 11:04 PM
John Frankl

Mark,

I feel that way sometimes, too.

But it can't all be about the original students of a 1970s movie actor/martial artist trying to preserve exactly what that actor/artist showed them 40 years ago, can it?

And if it can, then all those original students, and their students, are ignoring the largest parts of what that actor/artist actually wrote and said. Go figure.
3/23/11 1:45 AM
markijkd

John,

I agree with you! I agree with Demi and Joe as well...

If JKD is to be used as platform to launch from, one must learn the "Latter Stage JKD" (Fencing/Boxing Hybrid) and not only the WC Based Jun Fan Gung Fu or JKD Concepts...

I like the fact that Joe thinks that JKD is a metaphor for Quality and I agree that firearms training is an integral part of a total approach... I agree that MMA has opened our eyes to groundfighting and grappling and that everyone must adapt. I agree that Krav and others have opened our eyes to Stress Tests and not just dueling/sparring...

However, if BL chose a name for his personal art and developed it past Jun Fan Gung Fu and there is a rsource for such training, that one can not honestly express opinions on what JKD is, until they have trained it beyond the basics...

M...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.