UnderGround Forums

Arizona Underground >> New Gym in Gilbert

3/15/11 7:45 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
emotion #13
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

New gym opening this weekend in Gilbert. Black Belt under Saulo Andre Maracaba is instructor.

The gym is Ryan Baders and CB Dolloways gym.

$159 month!

I think they might have forgotten we are in a recession. lol

Seriously though a gorgeous full service gym that has to be at least 15,000sf and has a full sized cage and full weight trainng, basketball courts, boxing, bjj etc..

They are not quite done getting it all together but definately worth swinging by next month and checking it out.

Im sure their prices will come down to a reasonable $80-120 once they realize they can't pay the rent and a lot of schools are in that price point now.

http://www.powermmafitness.com/

3/15/11 7:45 PM
emotion #13
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

New gym opening this weekend in Gilbert. Black Belt under Saulo Andre Maracaba is instructor.

The gym is Ryan Baders and CB Dolloways gym.

$159 month!

I think they might have forgotten we are in a recession. lol

Seriously though a gorgeous full service gym that has to be at least 15,000sf and has a full sized cage and full weight trainng, basketball courts, boxing, bjj etc..

They are not quite done getting it all together but definately worth swinging by next month and checking it out.

Im sure their prices will come down to a reasonable $80-120 once they realize they can't pay the rent and a lot of schools are in that price point now.

http://www.powermmafitness.com/

3/16/11 11:43 AM
onyx2002
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That place is super nice with some good coaches it looks like. I wonder which ones will actually be teaching.

On the sign up part of their website it shows:

-MMA Membership

-Gives you access to all classes

-Full access to entire gym (cardio and weights)

$99.00 Enrollment

$179.00 per Month

Works out to $960 difference between month to month and signing up for a year. The $159 seems a bit more reasonable, but still expensive. If a person is serious about MMA 99 a month for a year seems doable for that kind of environment, I just really hope that the instructors listed on the websites are the ones that are teaching day in and day out, it would suck if you are expecting Bader, Larkin or Simpson and you get one of their friends or previous students.

I really hope they do well though, it takes a lot of balls and effort to put together a place like that, I hope people beat down their doors to get in there.

I wonder what happened to that Carlos Farias dude we thought was going to teach there?
3/16/11 11:59 AM
emotion #13

Carlos went to East West MMA. The coach they have now is a Braziian Black Belt under Saulo named Andre Maracaba. 

Onyx. My fear for these guys is that they are going to price themselves out of the market. The place is literally an LA Fitness with Matts and a Cage. Their goal is to have soccer moms and MMA guys training side by side. I'm not so sure it's a recipe for success but we shall see.

The price definately needs to get under the $100 month mark.

3/16/11 11:59 AM
emotion #13

Carlos went to East West MMA. The coach they have now is a Braziian Black Belt under Saulo named Andre Maracaba. 

Onyx. My fear for these guys is that they are going to price themselves out of the market. The place is literally an LA Fitness with Matts and a Cage. Their goal is to have soccer moms and MMA guys training side by side. I'm not so sure it's a recipe for success but we shall see.

The price definately needs to get under the $100 month mark.

3/16/11 12:14 PM
onyx2002
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just youtubed the heck out of Maracabea and he seems scary good. I think you are right on pricing I think that they could get away with 115-120 just because they have EVERYTHING but I can't fathom what their rent and expenses are like not to mention the capital outlay to get that thing going. There are just not that many people with a lot of money to burn that can make use of a full gym and a bunch of classes. Usually you have money cuz you work full time and maybe have a family so you can only go to one or two classes or you are a college student/living with your parents so you could go there all the time but you don't have the cash. Tough spot but I do hope they make it. I'm kind of in the area so I may make use of their 3 day free pass just to see how it's going. Nothing quite like getting smashed by a legit competition grade black belt!
3/16/11 12:34 PM
emotion #13

Edited: 03/16/11 12:40 PM
onyx2002 - Nothing quite like getting smashed by a legit competition grade black belt!
This.

He tapped out JT Torres who is a front runner for one of the best in the world right now. Definately worth checking out.

If someone wants to train just BJJ and Boxing (like me) they should be able to do that for $100-120 a month. No need to pay for a whole gym membership when I already have one that im dropping $35 a month on now.

3/16/11 12:34 PM
emotion #13

Edited: 03/16/11 12:40 PM
onyx2002 - Nothing quite like getting smashed by a legit competition grade black belt!
This.

He tapped out JT Torres who is a front runner for one of the best in the world right now. Definately worth checking out.

If someone wants to train just BJJ and Boxing (like me) they should be able to do that for $100-120 a month. No need to pay for a whole gym membership when I already have one that im dropping $35 a month on now.

3/16/11 12:37 PM
emotion #13

He tapped JoJo and JT on the same day. Dude is as legit as they come.
3/16/11 12:37 PM
emotion #13

He tapped JoJo and JT on the same day. Dude is as legit as they come.
3/18/11 6:09 PM
spartancs
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/18/11 6:09 PM
My kids have been training with Andre 5 to 6 days a week for several months now. He actually enjoys training kids as long as they are dedicated and pay attention. If you know of any kids looking to take their game to the next level check him out. I believe family memberships are available.<br /><br />Not only is Andre a legit competition Black Belt, as others have mentioned, he is an outstanding coach and teacher. His english is great and everyone who trains with him seems to be very impressed with his ability to translate his knowledge to students.<br /><br />Definately worth checking out.
3/18/11 6:42 PM
emotion #13

Excellent Phone Post
3/18/11 6:42 PM
emotion #13

Excellent Phone Post
3/22/11 12:31 PM
spartancs
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

On Monday there were 19 kids on the mat with several national/international champions. The kids program is really off to a great start @ Power.
3/22/11 1:11 PM
emotion #13

Yea the kid program is where they are shining for sure. Good thing so many of Andres guys followed him.

That gym is nice, real nice. The guy who is running it is taking the wrong route to building a big membership though. LARGE gym like that that is trying to bring in the moms and pops to use it as a regular gym is never goign to survive with $159 a month memberships.

The BJJ is great. I went and rolled with the BB instructor and he is solid, also Kiko who is now training there. I've been there for about a week now. Both great guys.

Ryand Bader and those guys however will not give you the time of day, so don't go there assuming you will be training with those guys.

I think a few months down the road this place will drop to around $100-120 month and it should become one of the top schools in AZ at that time.

Sidenote: The BJJ classes are only 60 mins. In case you come from a school where they are 90-2hrs like I did. That is a tad disappointing but I do really like Andre. So much so, If he opened his own school I will 100% go there in a heartbeat.
3/22/11 1:11 PM
emotion #13

Yea the kid program is where they are shining for sure. Good thing so many of Andres guys followed him.

That gym is nice, real nice. The guy who is running it is taking the wrong route to building a big membership though. LARGE gym like that that is trying to bring in the moms and pops to use it as a regular gym is never goign to survive with $159 a month memberships.

The BJJ is great. I went and rolled with the BB instructor and he is solid, also Kiko who is now training there. I've been there for about a week now. Both great guys.

Ryand Bader and those guys however will not give you the time of day, so don't go there assuming you will be training with those guys.

I think a few months down the road this place will drop to around $100-120 month and it should become one of the top schools in AZ at that time.

Sidenote: The BJJ classes are only 60 mins. In case you come from a school where they are 90-2hrs like I did. That is a tad disappointing but I do really like Andre. So much so, If he opened his own school I will 100% go there in a heartbeat.
3/22/11 4:14 PM
onyx2002

I went in on Monday for the grappling class.

Andre was super warm and friendly. There were about 14 guys taking the class. We did warm ups and went over a kimura from guard followed by the sit up sweep if they try to pull out. After doing quite a lot of reps on the moves covered it was rolling time. He divided the class by weight classes and had us do a king of mountain sort of deal. We just had to pass or submit. It was cool that he had us start standing. Then we had a small break and finished with two 5 min rolls. Afterward it looked like the gi class was going to have about 5 or 6 people in it. The vast majority of people from the grappling class went over to the MMA class right afterward. CB Dolloway was teaching so that bodes well for those guys.

I was very pleased with the general atmosphere there was ZERO mean mugging or guys taking stuff too seriously in my class. There were also parents, kids and wandering around which to me is cool.

I know that it was the one of the first classes so it wouldn't have worked but I hope that Andre starts to roll regularly with hie students cuz that would be just awesome.

Andre is clearly super awesome and loves BJJ, I think after a while he will build a strong team. At the class I went to it was kind of a rag tag group of people who had trained a bit here and there.

In addition to high monthly prices I believe there is a serious 90 -100 sign up fee like a LA fitness so that sucks.

3/22/11 4:31 PM
spartancs

onyx2002 - I went in on Monday for the grappling class.

Andre was super warm and friendly. There were about 14 guys taking the class. We did warm ups and went over a kimura from guard followed by the sit up sweep if they try to pull out. After doing quite a lot of reps on the moves covered it was rolling time. He divided the class by weight classes and had us do a king of mountain sort of deal. We just had to pass or submit. It was cool that he had us start standing. Then we had a small break and finished with two 5 min rolls. Afterward it looked like the gi class was going to have about 5 or 6 people in it. The vast majority of people from the grappling class went over to the MMA class right afterward. CB Dolloway was teaching so that bodes well for those guys.

I was very pleased with the general atmosphere there was ZERO mean mugging or guys taking stuff too seriously in my class. There were also parents, kids and wandering around which to me is cool.

I know that it was the one of the first classes so it wouldn't have worked but I hope that Andre starts to roll regularly with hie students cuz that would be just awesome.

Andre is clearly super awesome and loves BJJ, I think after a while he will build a strong team. At the class I went to it was kind of a rag tag group of people who had trained a bit here and there.

In addition to high monthly prices I believe there is a serious 90 -100 sign up fee like a LA fitness so that sucks.

One tradeoff on the 60min class vs. 90-120 min class is you have 2 60 min classes 5 days a week with a 2hr class on Saturday and open mat time on Sundays if you want. Andre personally teaches every class which is another big plus.
3/22/11 4:39 PM
emotion #13

Edited: 03/22/11 4:41 PM
onyx2002 - 

Another huge downfall.

Some people really can't afford $2000yr for training which is what they charge for unlimited training.

It's ok though. I was in the gym biz for a long time. It's very tough and it doesn't take too long to really start looking around at your nearest competitors and figuring out where you need to be price wise.

There are BJJ gyms within 5 miles that charges $80 month for BJJ and fitness gyms that charge $25 month.

3/22/11 4:39 PM
emotion #13

Edited: 03/22/11 4:41 PM
onyx2002 - 

Another huge downfall.

Some people really can't afford $2000yr for training which is what they charge for unlimited training.

It's ok though. I was in the gym biz for a long time. It's very tough and it doesn't take too long to really start looking around at your nearest competitors and figuring out where you need to be price wise.

There are BJJ gyms within 5 miles that charges $80 month for BJJ and fitness gyms that charge $25 month.

3/24/11 1:52 PM
spartancs

Hey guys some clarification on the monthly membership cost for Power MMA.

$24.99 Fitness only
$99.99 Kids
$139.99 Striking plus fitness
$139.99 Ground plus fitness
$159.99 Unlimited
$249.99 3 member family unlimited

There is also a one time membership set up fee.

I can only speak for myself but this fee structure works really well for families. While talking to other parents I've been shocked to find that there are TMA clubs in town charging over $150/mo for one kid to train 5x a week. Those clubs have lots of other hidden costs as well like inflated prices on gear that must be purchased from the club store and testing/promotion fees. Some of these parents have been paying over $300/mo for a couple of kids to learn american style kickboxing and some BJJ mixed in by a guy who has no training credentials.

There are probably other scenarios where Power is higher, like the $80/mo BJJ + $25 fitness = $105/mo vs $139/mo.

If you are a young man or woman with asperations of fighting MMA, either in local shows or making a run at the big time, I can't think of a better place in the east valley to train.

Whether the fees @ Power eventually get adjusted or not I think clubs like Power will be the end of the McDojo's you see on every corner, at least for parents who want real world effective training for their kids.

Cheers
3/24/11 5:31 PM
onyx2002

Thanks for posting that, especially if you are nearby and have kids the family deal is pretty good. I know when I was in there there was a young high schooler who had already attended three classes that day. (also I hated him for having that opportunity)
3/24/11 5:42 PM
onyx2002

Also are all those costs the month to month or with a one year contract with EFT?
3/24/11 5:47 PM
emotion #13

They require a contract. If you want unlimited it is $2000 per year with a $100 sign up fee. Phone Post
3/24/11 5:47 PM
emotion #13

They require a contract. If you want unlimited it is $2000 per year with a $100 sign up fee. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.