UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> Cert / work advice needed.

3/17/11 3:08 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
NotsoMightySkull
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Desktop support for last 4 years with some Network admin experience in a small company setting. Hit ceiling and need to push my career a little bit. No programming experience. Prefer Networking over MCSE type stuff. MCSE so boring.

CCNA?
Security +?
Looking to get a job with my current skills and move up.
3/17/11 4:49 PM
big_slacker
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CCNA is the default entry level cert. But its not truly entry level in that you really need to know a decent amount of networking to pass. (Assuming you don't cheat)

Study and lab, very much worth the journey.
3/30/11 11:34 PM
StephenL
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

try ccna security too.

holy fuck the security jobs in my area.

stephen
4/6/11 3:25 AM
unclewang
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For networking.. CCNA and branch out wherever you want to go man.

Cisco's certification kicks ass. Gets you interviews, higher salaries and you are learning stuff you need to know in a real job.
4/6/11 7:47 AM
crunk404
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sec+
ccna security
cissp

but i just want everyone to be in infosec

4/7/11 10:48 AM
big_slacker
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/07/11 10:48 AM
We needs more n00bs in infosec! At least good ones, we need the "I heard dis is gonna pay lots of Obama money!" ones like we need a hole in the head. :D
5/25/11 7:25 PM
JohnnyLawrence
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NotsoMightySkull - Desktop support for last 4 years with some Network admin experience in a small company setting. Hit ceiling and need to push my career a little bit. No programming experience. Prefer Networking over MCSE type stuff. MCSE so boring.

CCNA?
Security +?
I know you're not interested in MCSE, but what kind of server experience do you have? I hire IT folks and personally, certs don't carry much weight with me. I'll be posting for a Data Center person (server admin type stuff) pretty soon. And I'm in MN... Yay!

6/9/11 9:36 AM
NHBDaddy
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^What carries weight if not certs?
6/9/11 10:51 AM
big_slacker

Experience/knowing WTF you're doing carries the most weight. Certs can back that up, but I've even talked to some CCIE's I wouldn't hire due to retardism.
6/11/11 11:47 AM
JohnnyLawrence
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NHBDaddy - ^What carries weight if not certs?
On the job experience carries much more weight than certs. Any one can cram for a written test. I've seen guys who have no business being anywhere near a server come in a cert'd up. The cram schools that started popping up in the early 00's ruined it for me. Guys would take a few week course and come out with MS certs and absolutely no experience.

6/11/11 3:23 PM
Road Warrior Fin
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NotsoMightySkull - Desktop support for last 4 years with some Network admin experience in a small company setting. Hit ceiling and need to push my career a little bit. No programming experience. Prefer Networking over MCSE type stuff. MCSE so boring.

CCNA?
Security +?

You mean you were a Jr Admin for 4 years - if you can prove you've worked with the tasks for that.  Flubbing titles is okay in my book.
6/23/11 3:27 PM
NHBDaddy
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JohnnyLawrence - 
NHBDaddy - ^What carries weight if not certs?
On the job experience carries much more weight than certs. Any one can cram for a written test. I've seen guys who have no business being anywhere near a server come in a cert'd up. The cram schools that started popping up in the early 00's ruined it for me. Guys would take a few week course and come out with MS certs and absolutely no experience.

Thats a relief. I thought you were looking for a 4 yr degree, which can be obtained with zero hands on experience the same as the certs.
7/4/11 11:41 PM
Jason
276 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC
 sub'ed
7/6/11 6:01 PM
JOB
124 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Security+ isn't worth much tbh. Check out my OSCP thread for security certification.
7/7/11 9:27 PM
Jason
276 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC
JohnnyLawrence - 

CCNA?
Security +?
I know you're not interested in MCSE, but what kind of server experience do you have? I hire IT folks and personally, certs don't carry much weight with me. I'll be posting for a Data Center person (server admin type stuff) pretty soon. And I'm in MN... Yay!

Where in MN do you hire IT folks? 

7/7/11 10:50 PM
JohnnyLawrence

Northern Minnesota. Duluth area to be exact.
7/8/11 6:02 AM
Road Warrior Fin
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JOB - Security+ isn't worth much tbh. Check out my OSCP thread for security certification.

Unless you work for the Fed.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.