UnderGround Forums

Cigars, Beer & Poker Ground >> Improving Your Poker Game

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

3/21/11 1:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
SiftMyMind
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The following post was taken from "Things it Took Me a While to Learn" by Tony “bond18” Dunst.

(Special thanks to Andre who put me on to it.)
3/21/11 1:49 PM
SiftMyMind

Here’s the basic process by which I improved:

1. I started off reading books. This is good if you want a foundation in the basics, but I feel like a lot of the information in books these days is outdated. However, Harrington on Holdem is still pretty good for getting some ground work.

2. Then I started reading and posting on 2+2. For quite some time I posted an enormous amount of hands, because I really needed to be guided through most hands step by step. I’m kind of a slow learner, so I needed things drilled into my head over and over to form it as more of a habit before I could understand it.

3. I got a pokerxfactor subscription. I watched a lot of videos to see what the most successful pros did differently to me, what made them successful. I think cardrunners also has an excellent (at this point, probably superior) line up of pros, but both sites have a pretty good line up. The hard part is that even many of these guys have serious leaks and there might be nobody there to tell you what they are. I have a ton of leaks myself, and if there’s nobody better to tell you what they are it gets hard to recognize them. If there’s an interest in that sort of thing, I guess I could Skype with Luckychewy for some of the more popular hand histories in Cardrunners/PXF and identify what we think the mistakes are there to give people an idea of what mistakes other pros make.

4. I got coaching. This part can be hard because there’s not a list of coaches available for MTT’s and many coaches would charge quite a lot of money since their time is so valuable. If you start becoming a successful player and make good money, but still feel like you have serious leaks, seeking out a top player who you respect and know does coaching is a good option. At this point, I’ve done coaching with three HSMTT players and have done hand history review swaps with several more. Finding players you feel are roughly on your own level and doing HH review swaps with them either by taking notes or over the phone/Skype can be a huge benefit.

5. I played an absolute ton. Like they say, there’s no substitute for experience, and the more you play the more you’ll recognize patterns and things will get more obvious to you as you go. Combine this with the other four, over an extended period of time, and you’ll be able to feel the improvement.

6. If there’s one thing I wished I’d done: It’d be learn cash much sooner. I think cash players improve at poker much quicker, and applying concepts you learn in cash to tournaments is much easier than vice versa.

Most of what I do today is play, occasional coaching sessions, and spending a lot of time on Skype with the players I respect swapping ideas back and forth. At any point in my career I can look back at how I played four months ago and think “Wow, I had no idea what I was doing then. I’ve learned a ton.” I imagine it will keep going like that if I keep improving and I hope that pattern keeps up. Well, that’s all the condescending advice I have for today, after this it’s back to more black and white strategy.

- Tony “bond18” Dunst.

3/21/11 2:02 PM
SiftMyMind

1. Books

I read a lot of books but need to re-read quite a few.

2. Reading and posting on 2+2.

I am not a member of 2 + 2, but I plan to start.
I am hoping my posting experience on here (how to post a hand, general poker discussion, etc.) will be a good precursor to posting on a major poker site like 2 + 2.

3. Pokerxfactor subscription

Again, not a member, but I will look into it.
I have a ton of videos from deucescracked already though.

4 Coaching

I am currently looking for a coach.

5. I played an absolute ton.

I am playing a lot right now and hope to continue but at a higher level.

6. Playing more cash

Cash is my first love.
However, I am interested in improving this aspect of my game.

3/21/11 2:03 PM
SiftMyMind

[Sorry about the FRAT]

3/21/11 7:29 PM
Tartan warrior

Here's a post from the 2+2 forums to get you started it's titled 'Staying ahead of the curve':

forumserver.twoplustwo.com/170/live-low-stakes-nl/staying-ahead-curve-991373/

It's taken from the Live Low-stakes No Limit forum:

forumserver.twoplustwo.com/170/live-low-stakes-nl/

3/22/11 4:26 PM
wreckker
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sift what do u play at AP?
3/24/11 12:06 AM
SiftMyMind

wreckker -  sift what do u play at AP?

wreckker,

I play on PokerStars and FullTilt, bro.

I have been playing micro 6-max recently.

Message me your s/n if you ever want to play together on either of those two sites.

3/24/11 12:53 AM
VectorWega

Sift,

Msg me your screennames.  I play 6-max ring games and would love to play with you some and/or share knowledge (review hands).

I have put in hardly any volume in the past 6 months, but my short-term goal is to free myself up enough to play 15+ hrs a week (which still isn't that much, but is when you consider my work schedule).

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.