UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Any GERD/Acid Reflux sufferers out there?

3/23/11 12:21 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Seong gyeong
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I believe I have a more severe case than most, and when I train it is obvious. It's bad enough to sound like old man Clint Eastwood when I talk, but even worse when I'm trying to escape from side control and I can feel the contents of my stomach coming up my esophagus.

A few things I've done to help:

I. Drink only water. This is perhaps the biggest one. Energy drinks, alcohol, coffee, supplements like Redline, milk, and even stuff like Naked Juice all give me problems.

II. Prop head up while sleeping.

III. Eat smaller meals.

IV. Try eating cooked vegetable soup with some meat added in as it's easy to digest.

V. Don't go too long without eating, and don't eat a lot in any single sitting.

Things are getting better, but still looking for any tips that any of you might have to offer.
3/23/11 12:22 AM
Seong gyeong
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh yeah, one more: do not eat before training. I try to wait at least 2 hours. I'll never forget the day I had Burger King in my car on the way to jiu-jitsu......
3/24/11 3:41 AM
Josh Gibson
171 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have had a problem with it for about the past year. All of your suggestions are pretty dead on. Its probably not a coincidence that I have been bulking for the past year, so I have been overeating.

Nothing worse than getting severe heartburn in the middle of a set of heavy squats, ugh...
3/24/11 10:05 AM
WidespreadPanic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have it when I eat carbs. Cutting out carbs eliminated it.

3/26/11 3:05 AM
BALLSDEEP
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Spicy foods, alcohol, certain fruits & juices. I had a scope down my throat a few months back (a problem I've delt with for well over a decade, but got worse these last couple years) and the picture that came back you'd have to see to believe. The erosion was unreal. Doc gave me a script before the procedure even took place (my dumb ass still hasn't filled it). Its like a stronger version of prilosac, zantac, and/or other versions of such. They really do work. Even the generic's pretty good (brand name tend be sorta expensive). The goal is to keep the acid in your stomach down in the first place, so taking those will be before the burn, not after. And will be a daily thing. Tums are clutch for instant relief, but only mask what's going on. I just popped one minutes ago.
3/27/11 10:17 PM
Josh Gibson
171 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Arent there meds that help reverse the erosion as well?
3/28/11 1:15 AM
Seong gyeong

If there are meds that can reverse erosion, I'd definitely like to know about them. I got scoped and judging by the doctor's reaction, there isn't serious damage going on. However, I've had this problem for so long that I'm still concerned.
3/28/11 12:59 PM
U4EA
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very possibly being caused by allergies to gluten, dairy and candida caused by eating sugar, carbs etc.
3/29/11 6:55 PM
BALLSDEEP
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not sure. I'd like to find out. If I find the picture, I'll post it.
3/30/11 7:30 AM
Seong gyeong

U4EA - Very possibly being caused by allergies to gluten, dairy and candida caused by eating sugar, carbs etc.

I'm inclined to agree. It's hard to eliminate all of that, but I think it might be necessary for some people if they really want to get their symptoms controlled.
4/3/11 1:25 PM
Shinsplint
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been on the generic prescription for a about 4 months now and they really work wonders.
4/6/11 4:39 PM
billygamble
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No Energy Drinks for sure. That will help alot not to mention prevent sugar/energy spikes while sparring.

Try the Gracie diet or follow it as close as you can. Part of the extra acid could be from mixing the wrong foods.
4/6/11 8:40 PM
U4EA
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also, eat massive amounts of raw salads. Great for gut health. You can usually notice a difference in 24 hours.
4/13/11 9:59 PM
Seong gyeong

^^ Thanks guys. The more vegetables I eat, the better it gets. Veggies, meat, water = problem fixed IMO. Going to shop for groceries today, loading up on greens, passing on coffee, beer, and energy drinks......and bread.
4/14/11 4:15 AM
U4EA

Seong gyeong - ^^ Thanks guys. The more vegetables I eat, the better it gets. Veggies, meat, water = problem fixed IMO. Going to shop for groceries today, loading up on greens, passing on coffee, beer, and energy drinks......and bread.

Good stuff. Carbs are a huge problems for Human Beings, and a huge part of that problem is that we are told they are good for us. Aside from the obvious weight problems associated with them, they are great for Candida and allergies (gluten).

A big, raw salad is great for digestive health. My daily salad is: -

1 big handful of spinach
1 big handful of rocket
3-4 sliced cherry tomatoes
Small handful of thinly sliced onion
A handful of bacon pieces
1 chopped apple

Throw it all in a bowl, put in some balmasic vinegar (I use white as dark balsamic vinegar stains my teeth), a little olive oil and a quick splash of Tabasco. Toss the salad (snigger) and you are good to go. Probably my favourite meal of the day.
4/15/11 1:14 AM
Seong gyeong

^^Thanks for the recipe. I'm going to make that tonight.
4/15/11 9:17 AM
billygamble
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

passing on beer,

Whoa whoa pump the brakes. Don't go blaming the beer.

If the carbonation or sweetness is bothering you get an english or irish bitter draught beer.

Wexford (Irish)
Guiness (English)

These use nitros instead of C02. You can even buy them in a can with a nitro widget at the lika sto.

Although I am not a doctor or have any good reliable creditials, I believe alchohol when used properly can be used to combat fatique in the blood, caused by physical stress.
4/16/11 11:52 AM
Seong gyeong

Thanks for the tip. Next time I drink beer I'll go for Guiness and see if I don't feel as bad as usual. I do like drinking beer, but I tend to get worsened symptoms as a result. Still, nothing is worse--for me--than energy drinks.
4/20/11 4:33 PM
Hapdiesel
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Many times things like GERD, IBS, Acid reflux are symptoms of something else going on and not the problem in and of itself. Many times the problem is Celiac or a Gluten sensitiviy. Do some research online and try to eliminate gluten from your diet. Try it for a least a month or two to really see if that what it could be, your body needs time to heal. If you have any questions let me know.
4/20/11 4:54 PM
U4EA

I do like drinking beer, but I tend to get worsened symptoms as a result. Still, nothing is worse--for me--than energy drinks.

I strongly suspect your acid reflux is being caused by candidiasis. The candida feeds off of sugar and alcohol is notorious for feeding it, and energy drinks are usually full of sugar.

http://www.drlwilson.com/articles/candida.htm

I get it if I eat carbs regularly. Marcus Davis also suffers from it...

http://blog.tapology.com/2011/03/exclusive-fighting-future-with-marcus-davis-part-2/

Carb-free recipes: -

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/category/recipes/

------------

I 100% agree with Hapdiesel - gluten is evil stuff, wheat being the most evil of the carbohydrates.

HTH.
4/21/11 1:15 AM
Seong gyeong

Thanks a lot guys, I definitely think gluten is a culprit in my case. Last time I ate from a bakery was a nightmare. I actually tried going gluten free for ten days once, but because I was still drinking energy drinks and coffee I didnt feel better. However, I'm going to reattempt going gluten free, this time without all that caffeine and sugar. I'll keep you posted and hopefully be able to inspire some others who have this same highly annoying problem.
4/21/11 12:01 PM
billygamble

they make gluten free beer too, fyi
4/26/11 11:07 AM
Seong gyeong

Okay, here's an update. I've been gluten/caffeine/alcohol free for only the last 4 days, but already feeling better. I don't have that horrible tingly, sensitive feeling in my stomach as badly as before. I don't feel the surge of stomach contents coming up during training as badly as before, either. I notice that I'm not as sensitive to heat now (would always feel way uncomfortably hot, especially in the warmer months and while wearing a gi).

Even taking a crap has gotten better (I'll spare you any details).

I don't have energy crashes during the afternoon, and it's way easier to fall asleep at night.

Anyway, at this rate of recovery, I'm really excited to see how good things can actually get.

So thanks for your help, guys. That Marcus Davis interview link was really inspirational too. Anything more significant improvements come up and I'll be sure to share.
4/26/11 4:19 PM
U4EA

Glad you are progressing.

It really sounds to me like Candida. Just make sure you keep carbs, alcohol and sugar out of your system as it feeds on that. Eat lots of salads/veggies to make your system more alkaline (Candida likes an acidic environment).

http://www.trans4mind.com/nutrition/pH.html

While it's not very alkaline, I make a lot of simple guacamole as it's tasty, raw and green. Mash an avocado with a big pinch of salt. Add lime juice to taste - you will usually need at least 2 medium limes. Then I add diced raw green chili to it. If you like, add some garlic paste to it too. Garlic has strong anti-fungal properties and will help fight the Candida. You can eat it straight or use it as a dip for cucumber, carrots etc. The Candida won't like that one bit.
4/27/11 12:08 AM
Seong gyeong

I think you're right about it being Candida. Another benefit I've noticed is that my eyes are usually really dry and sometimes get pretty red, but now they're starting to feel and look less inflamed.

That guacamole sounds awesome. I'll get the ingredients next time I go shopping. Thanks again, U4EA.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.