UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Any GERD/Acid Reflux sufferers out there?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

4/27/11 12:19 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
VARIOUS
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

subd
4/27/11 7:34 AM
Seong gyeong
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm going to use this thread as motivation to stick with this type of eating; I'll post every so often with my progress. As for now, feeling great and looking forward to training in 30 minutes.
4/28/11 11:16 PM
Seong gyeong
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FRAT Warning:

Things keep getting better. Anybody out there who's had vague or not so vague chronic problems that just left you feeling weak/tired/depressed/frustrated, I strongly urge you to try this type of eating.

I've had this problem for around 15 years, and it really just got out of control. I remember scouring the internet for remedies/cures but there was so much conflicting information that I didn't know what to do. Later I just wanted to find a silver bullet so I spent a shit load of money on supplements that didn't do anything as far as I could tell (with the exception of Vitamin D3, which is actually quite cheap--still, it's just one piece of the puzzle).

My problem was that I had a feeling eating cleanly could work, but I wasn't fully convinced, and I was too "addicted" to processed junk food.

Now that I'm doing everything right, it's like night and day. Last night I sparred hard against the same opponent for 20 minutes straight. Normally I'd have quit after 10 max.

This probably sounds overly dramatic, but it's really how I feel, like a gigantic burden is being lifted.

At this point I'm confident that I have the same thing as Marcus Davis (hell, Davis is my grandmother's maiden name).

You can solve the problem, but you must be strict in your diet. After having low-grade illness for so many years, that's fine with me.
5/3/11 11:53 PM
Seong gyeong

Update for anyone who's interested. I'm still feeling great, and I'm able to do cardio in the morning, work my job, and train judo at night. I don't have that huge sleepy feeling in the afternoons, and at night I sleep a lot better, too.

Regarding beer, after having avoided gluten, processed foods, sugar, etc. for some time now, I decided to have one small can of beer the other night. All I can say is "wow"--I had a pretty bad reaction, and it wasn't even like a was drinking a lot.

So I think there is truth to "elimination diets" in which you abstain from eating a certain type of food, then try it again later and see how your body reacts. If it reacts poorly, then stay the fuck away from that kind of food.

If anybody has any questions, just let me know. I'd like to try and help people if I could. I wish I would have tried this earlier; feel like I lost out on a lot of progress in my training, and just the enjoyment of life in general.
5/9/11 10:50 AM
billygamble
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

try a gluten free beer if your still wanting one. Budweiser make a gluten free beer called redbridge
5/9/11 12:38 PM
U4EA
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Salad = power.
5/10/11 4:01 AM
Seong gyeong

Thanks, bg, I'll check it out. I do like drinking beer, and it'd be nice to not have to give it up.

I agree: salad = power. I kind of feel like Brock Lesnar when he mentioned going so many years or whatever without ever consuming a vegetable.
6/21/11 11:19 AM
Seong gyeong

It's been a while since I bumped this thread. For any of you who are interested, it totally has everything to do with eating the right foods and avoiding the wrong ones as far as I'm concerned. Don't bother looking for expensive supplements. The most important thing is eating right. For some, it's easier said than done, and believe me, as soon as I felt better, I tried to cheat and start eating the wrong foods all over again. But I paid for it in the gym, and just in my general condition overall.

If you really care about training, or just feeling good in your every day life, you will learn to stop eating poorly. Eat those greens (seriously, for me, any vegetable that is green, I eat it in mass quantities now), avoid that sugar, don't drink alcohol, and skip the bread and carbs. You should feel a lot better.
6/22/11 9:42 PM
VARIOUS
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Started doubling my salad and vegitable intake and metamucil 1-2 times a day an stomach= way better
6/27/11 1:21 PM
zealot66
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ive been through it all, hacking it up, scope, meds, etc. One thing that has happened that really pushed home my need to go strict on my eating is this. last year and this year I have develped fevers the the day after I had horrible GERD that night. It made no sense whatsoever. The fever would go as high as 103 and break by early afternoon. The doctor thought I migh have a bacterial infection. Nothing worked. Happend twice last month. Finally sat down with the doctor and she asked me some questions. This is likely what is happening and is very rare.

When the acid comes up it can get into your lungs and sinuses. Those tisses are sensitive and immediately react against the invader, the acid. It caused an asthma attack and sinus pain but my tests showed no signs of infection. Basically, when the acid gets into my lungs and sinuses, the body goes into fever mode because it believes it is fighting an infection. The acid inflames the tissue and fever is often triggered by inflamation. Think the flu, where your respitory system in inflamed. I've got to take my diet seriously or Im going to continue having fevers. I take omeprazole and dexilant, still have poblems. 

has anyone here had fevers of any type associated with bouts of GERD ?
6/28/11 11:47 AM
Seong gyeong

I don't know if what I experience is actually a fever, but one of the worst symptoms is the fact that my body just overheats/is sensitive to heat. Incidentally, I sweat like crazy.

Also, I've had ear-related symptoms. When I would drink a lot of beer and eat heavy, I'd get this stinging sensation along my jaw/ears. And sometimes I get this "rumbling" sensation inside my ears as if fluid is trapped inside.

Really is a pain in the ass! I fell off a while back but this week I'm eating perfectly and I've come to accept that I must make a choice: eat healthy or continue to be miserable.
8/19/11 7:19 AM
Seong gyeong

Sounds good, HKB. It's strange, because for the longest time, I simply thought my GERD was natural. As a child, my parents didn't seem to think anything was wrong (despite my tendency to swallow a bite of steak after chewing 3 times). So I just continued to eat without chewing and to wash everything down with whatever I was drinking--often milk, which probably just made things worse. During university, I began to eat almost exclusively junk food, and that's when things got so bad that I quit martial arts for over a year, and even then only hesitantly returned.

For those of you who might be interested, here are the improvements I've noticed seen changing my diet:

* Allergic type symptoms have decreased (eyes are less puffy, skin is less sensitive, basically no sinus problems).

* Waking up is much easier--it was seriously a war in the past just to get myself out of bed.

* Sleep is better.

* My cardio has gone up a lot.

* I can make it through a workday fine without crashing.

* My overall mood has improved.

* And I haven't done weight-lifting, but I suspect I could put on muscle more easily now. I've always been somewhat physically weak, especially my upper-body.

The two main points of advice:

* avoid gluten, sugar, caffeine, and alcohol.
* dramatically increase your consumption of green vegetables.

In addition, try to drink only water.

Good luck, I hope you get some relief soon.
9/4/11 6:06 PM
U4EA
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's fucking amazing how much damage gluten, sugar and carbs do to the human body. Sugar you are meant to avoid but carbs - especially wheat - being promoted as a good food for humans is crazy.

Anyway, glad you got yourself sorted in the end. I had a similar story to yours and I fucking wish I had sussed it out sooner than I did.
9/12/11 7:04 PM
U4EA

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2031660/US-Open-2011-Andy-Murray-follows-Novak-Djokovics-recipe-success.html

http://www.tennis-x.com/xblog/2011-04-26/6848.php
9/12/11 11:19 PM
Seong gyeong

Edited: 09/12/11 11:21 PM
Thanks, man. I'm still eating huge salads every day, always changing up the recipe so that I continue to like doing it.

Interesting articles.

It's nice to know, at this point, that if I'm feeling like shit on a certain day, I don't have to panic and worry about what's causing it. Only thing to do is eat right.

No feeling sorry for myself either...shit, that would often lead to more pigging out.

I hope other people stick to this style of eating and overcome their problems. It may not seem like a serious health problem, but I'll be damned if it wasn't fucking up my life on a daily basis all those years.
9/25/11 8:17 AM
U4EA

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/gerd-sufferers-rejoice/
9/25/11 12:52 PM
MachetePhil
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

zealot66 -  Ive been through it all, hacking it up, scope, meds, etc. One thing that has happened that really pushed home my need to go strict on my eating is this. last year and this year I have develped fevers the the day after I had horrible GERD that night. It made no sense whatsoever. The fever would go as high as 103 and break by early afternoon. The doctor thought I migh have a bacterial infection. Nothing worked. Happend twice last month. Finally sat down with the doctor and she asked me some questions. This is likely what is happening and is very rare.

When the acid comes up it can get into your lungs and sinuses. Those tisses are sensitive and immediately react against the invader, the acid. It caused an asthma attack and sinus pain but my tests showed no signs of infection. Basically, when the acid gets into my lungs and sinuses, the body goes into fever mode because it believes it is fighting an infection. The acid inflames the tissue and fever is often triggered by inflamation. Think the flu, where your respitory system in inflamed. I've got to take my diet seriously or Im going to continue having fevers. I take omeprazole and dexilant, still have poblems. 

has anyone here had fevers of any type associated with bouts of GERD ?

Yes!  as well as the jaw/ear pain, ringing in the ears Seong mentioned. Holy shit, wish I saw this thread months ago, I've been going through this for about a year and a half now, seen several doctors who all but maybe 1 left me with the impression they thought I was imagining this stuff.  I googled acid reflux and the first link described GERD and my symptoms to a T.

I had no idea what tf was going on and several times got freaked out by the symptoms, at some point one doc just casually mentioned that it might be acid reflux and I should try prilosec.  I thought she was crazy since there was no typical heartburn type pain involved, this was before I googled the symptoms. So I went a while before acutally taking the prilosec but finally I said what the hell and took it and had almost immediate relief, so I took it for about 2 weeks and stopped, within a few days the symptoms came right back.  I saw another doc who said to just keep taking it, which I have. 

Now I'm working on changing my shitty diet and looking into going wheat free for a week or two and see what happens. 

9/25/11 1:32 PM
MachetePhil
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My symptoms have changed somewhat over the last year, I used to get bad ringing in the ears along wiht jaw pain right in the tmj area, pressure in my ears that caused a temporary loss of hearing usually in one ear and dizziness.  The only thing that made me guess it was GI related was I would have some pressure, almost felt like a knot, right around my diaphram.

Then after a long time of bouts of that, I would still get the knot feeling aound my diaphram, a few times I would get a  fever, sweating followed by chills, swollen lymph nodes under my jaw, tightness feeling in my throat, sore throat, ringing on one ear or the other, but not as bad as previously. I also had several doc's assume I had some kind of viral infection, even had one tell me ringing in the ears had nothing to do with acid reflux, despite the fact that it's one of the first symptoms listed on the Mayo clinics(iirc) website under acid reflux.

I can't believe it went on as long as it has until I figured out what is causing what I've been going through.  Zealot, I know exactly what you're talking about, and tbh, it's kind of a relief to read what you described, now I know I'm not the only one, seong too.
9/25/11 2:06 PM
U4EA

Edited: 09/25/11 2:11 PM
I've heard there is a correlation between milk allergy and inner ears problems. IIRC, that is what lead Mac Danzig to give up dairy.

The sore throat, diaphragm problems would all be inline with an allergy I would say. As I have mentioned, I had (mild) asthma for 20 years or so that was being caused by gluten.

I would also encourage you to not eat peanuts etc. They are another toxic substance human beings consider "food".
9/25/11 4:05 PM
cheech
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jesus it's frigging hard to just get and eat a meal.
9/27/11 4:12 PM
Outkaster
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't get the no carbs rule? I mean if your an athlete you need some of that. Plus no bread, shit I'm Italian!!!
9/27/11 4:58 PM
U4EA

^^^ you dont "need" carbs. There are athletes that dont touch them. However I would imagine it would be very difficult if you were an endurance athlete but I dont see endurance athletics being healthy, or at least I dont think it is the best choice in terms of health.
9/28/11 8:18 AM
Outkaster
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mean either I mean what are you supposed to eat. I take Judo and you need good cardio.
9/28/11 9:40 AM
U4EA

Fruit, veg, seeds, meat.
9/29/11 10:41 AM
Seong gyeong

The guys at my gym have been asking me what I've been doing to improve my stamina. I tell them that it's all in the foods that I eat. None of them appear to be suffering from bad allergies, fatigue, GERD, candida, etc. so they probably wouldn't have as dramatic an improvement as I did.

I can happily say that I have no problems sticking to this simple yet beneficial diet for as long as I need to--if I'm going to be training, then it's a necessity.

Meat, fruit, vegetables. Water. That's it for me. I've learned to love it.

You might think it's too boring or difficult, but when you've suffered over a decade with these annoying chronic problems, it's such a tremendous relief to be free from them, and that right there is the motivation to continue eating this way.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.