UnderGround Forums

JKD UnderGround >> JKD forge your own knife

3/23/11 9:11 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Joe Maffei
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/23/11 9:20 AM

I think it's a great idea to learn to do things for yourself. "Self reliant"

This guy understands the JKD of knife/tool making,, the balance, angles, temperature's, molecules, the physics, everything to the point he can produce quality, even in the woods.

Black Smithing is another one of those forgotten arts...I think it's Awesome
You will have to copy and paste, I really wish I knew how this forum shows vids, I just don't have the JKD of computers...:-(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y3qN6H_Utk
3/23/11 10:21 AM
John Frankl
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/23/11 10:22 AM
Joe,

Thanks for that. I don't know how the knife came out, and the video showed no actual forging, but I actually have quite a bit of experience with bladesmithing. Roger may wind up with a serviceable blade in the end, but a large part of what he says is completely wrong/false.
Being near Boston, I would very strongly urge you to check out JD Smith. He is one of the best makers and teachers out there, and he teaches a very comprehensive course at MassArt.
3/24/11 9:18 AM
Joe Maffei
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yo John smithing is a great lost skill to have. What did Roger say that was wrong/false?
I am very crude in my smithing skill and knowledge so I would not know.

I was really impressed with his concept of the forge even though he demo quenching /tempering .

A while back I showed him a Dakota fire pit and he ran with idea, and that little $6 blower thing he had was perfect, light weight and fit right in his pack. Just being able to make your own functional tools, especially in the woods, is very cool, very JKD.

John thank you for that tip on JD, does he have a website?
3/24/11 10:07 AM
WidespreadPanic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here ya go, Joe.

3/25/11 9:03 AM
Joe Maffei

WP thanks bro, How did you do that???

Anyway folks always say samo samo so here is something different but the same.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.