UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Soul stealing in MMA, and boxing

3/23/11 10:27 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1293 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

There's a lot of talk about a fighter "taking someone's soul" after defeating his opponent. After their dates with Fedor Emelianenko, for example, Tim Sylvia, Brett Rogers and Andrei Arlovski have never been the same.

Sylvia was knocked flat in eight seconds by an old, overweight boxer Ray Mercer. Rogers was manhandled by Alistair Overeem, which is forgivable, and then barely squeaked by Reuben "Warpath" Villareal, which is unforgivable. And Arlovski lost three straight after being put on Queer Street by the wily Russian. Poor, poor "Pitbull."

Other examples are plentiful such as Sergei Kharitonov beating Murilo "Ninja" Rua's brain to a pulp at "Total Elimination," basically ending the promising Brazilian's hopes to be a contender ... forever. Gabriel Gonzaga teaching Mirko Cro Cop the definition of irony back at UFC 70 in 2007 is also proof positive that the Grim MMA Career Reaper does indeed exist.

In MMA, I've seen "the fire" beaten out of people. I've seen chins beaten out of people.

But I've never seen someone's career beaten out of them in a single night.

Have you?

Read entire article...

In 2003 HBO put together an awesome documentary detailing Meldrick Taylor's rise to fame and his sudden fall from grace after a loss to Julio Cesar Chavez. Taylor never put five straight wins together for the rest of his career. Today, his speech is slurred as to be indecipherable (Part III, 4:50 mark).

3/23/11 10:28 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
disbeliever
544 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
3/23/11 10:30 AM
Sagiv Lapkin
2251 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anderson Silva Grim Reaper

3/23/11 10:31 AM
disbeliever
544 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think some of Anderson's victims are slowly starting to grow a new soul. Most have been winning again
3/23/11 10:41 AM
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Didn't Frank Shamrock end that dude he slammed's career?
Also Jens Pulver ended Lewis' career right?
3/23/11 10:44 AM
Kirik
2049 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, President
 4:50 plus in the third video is sobering. Meldrick was still boxing then, too.
3/23/11 10:53 AM
Billyz
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool topic.
Fedors last few losing opponents have seemed to lose there soul.

Rich Franklin stole The Crows fighting ability

Joe Stevenson after BJ penn was really never the same either.
3/23/11 10:55 AM
ProfChaos
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow. That is frightening to see the toll 12 years of boxing took on his brain. The difference in him speaking from 1990 - 2002 is unbelievable.
3/23/11 10:58 AM
mark9
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hopefully shogun wont be added to this list. cant wait to see him kicking ass again.
3/23/11 11:16 AM
Billyz
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thats right Randy took Gabes soul forgot about that one
3/23/11 11:20 AM
Fake Rassler

LOL@the author's apparent excitement at ninja's brain being "beaten to a pulp." Stay classy
3/23/11 11:29 AM
TheRealJoker
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Eddie Ruiz attempted to take Yves Edwards' soul but instead got his taken.
3/23/11 11:30 AM
innovega

Wow, that is so sad. Man, I wonder how many MMA fighters will end up like this. I think in the next few years we will see the real effects of brain trauma - Liddell, Cro Cop, Nogueiras, etc...
3/23/11 12:03 PM
The Sauce
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

that HBO special above KICKED ASS!! I totally got wrapped up in it!
3/23/11 12:07 PM
irishrottie
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik -  4:50 plus in the third video is sobering. Meldrick was still boxing then, too.

tragic
3/23/11 12:10 PM
Zedlepln
226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

3/23/11 12:17 PM
Mudderfaeg
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Diego was never the same after BJ Penn. Phone Post
3/23/11 12:40 PM
MetaDevil
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sobering video.
innovega - Wow, that is so sad. Man, I wonder how many MMA fighters will end up like this. I think in the next few years we will see the real effects of brain trauma - Liddell, Cro Cop, Nogueiras, etc...

Yes and no, I think. One of the key differences in MMA vs Boxing is glove size. The gloves are bigger in boxing not to protect the guy getting hit, but to protect the puncher's hands - so fights can go longer and guys can hit harder. How many bouts do boxers have (including sparring) where they get hit hundreds of times? With a few exceptions, MMA fighters don't have more than 10-15 fights before getting on the big stage and very few are getting to 50-60. Add into that, there are the different ways to win an MMA fight - not all end in a KO or a 25 minute slugfest.

I think it's a very fair concern - especially with the newer information coming from analysis of former NFL players' and boxers' brains. As it stands now, MMA fighters don't withstand the same kind of consistent, repeated blunt trauma to the head. But one concussion or savage beating is enough to really fuck someone up. All the more reason to closely regulate minor-league MMA promotions and amateur bouts.

All respect to Shogun, but he took a savage three round beating Saturday night (especially for a guy that has never been on that end of beating) and it's not like he didn't come up in a notoriously tough camp. What's he going to be like when he returns?
3/23/11 1:02 PM
Beeno
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tanner consuming Terrell is one of the first I thought of.
3/23/11 1:03 PM
Ironhouse
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Souls Taken (fighter was never the same)
These ones stand out in my mind.
Shamrock vs Frye (both men were never the same)
Crocop vs Gonzaga
Chuck vs Rampage
Sakuraba vs Wand
Wand vs Crocop

These ones were something different, they might not have taken a soul, but they made me feel sympathetic for the loser.
Griffen vs Silva
Shogun vs Jones
Franklin vs Chuck
Big Nog vs Cain
3/23/11 1:07 PM
ds1970
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sagiv Lapkin -  

Anderson Silva Grim Reaper

Someone upgraded this pic

3/23/11 6:53 PM
hey mes
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.