UnderGround Forums

NBAGround >> Sucks that the Kings are leaving Sacramento :(

3/24/11 1:19 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Floppy Divac
485 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They should be pretty good next year, and if you don't agree with that then they should at least be a really exciting team to watch.  Dalembert is having awesome offensive games every now and then while being the solid rebounder and defender they got him to be. Udrih has been good and consistent from what I've seen.  Garcia is a great teammate and a true professional. Thornton hasn't hardly been there a month and has gone apeshit several times on opponents so far.  Cousins is a kooky kid but has real game and shows solid upside. He should mature nicely.  Pooh Jeter is a rookie point guard who hasn't gotten much play but when he does he shows a lot of promise.  Tyreke has struggled and been injured all year but he's coming back in a matter of days and it'll be interesting to see what Westphal does with the lineup when he returns.  

I could say more about some of the others but I'll leave it alone.  It really fucking sucks to see this team slowly coming together and look like they're about to get good when I know they're leaving after this season ends.  Fuck, I understand it's a business but if you're going south at least go all the way to San Diego or something rather than putting a third damn team in LA.  Fucking gay ass shit, frustrating as all hell.
3/24/11 2:42 AM
PoundforPound
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It is sad. The NBA that we grew up with is morphing into something else.
3/24/11 7:16 AM
EKPOGI
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was thinking of going to the last Kings game vs the Lakers.the Kings were the team I rooted passionately about during the Webber/Rick Adelman days.sad.

RIP SuperSonics and Sacramento Kings
3/25/11 12:10 AM
EKPOGI
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

there's hope!

http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines/ktxl-new-plan-could-be-gamechanger-for-sacramento-kings-20110323,0,6232256.story

A game-changing alternative plan to keep the Kings in Sacramento may soon be unveiled. A move to Anaheim is no longer inevitable.

FOX40 has learned exclusively about an innovative new plan to solve the Kings' arena problems. A group of government and business leaders is discussing it and hopes to talk with Kings owners Joe and Gavin Maloof to go over it as early as Friday.

FOX40 Sports Director Jim Crandell told FOX40.com, "I know the specifics, but I cannot share the details yet, because it could jeopardize a very sensitive discussion that is about to take place."

Crandell did confirm that the alternative plan does include a funding source, and that, "...the money is in place."

The Maloofs have confirmed they are interested in continuing to discuss it, and by all counts, moving the team to Anaheim is not a done deal.
3/25/11 9:48 PM
Floppy Divac
485 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really hope something happens that keeps them in Sacramento.  They're now 3-1 in this 5 game road trip and they won with Evans finally coming back today against the Pacers.    Thornton shot horribly but they still won by a way comfortable margin.  This team will be so fun to watch it's just not right if they leave.  If they stay I bet the Maloofs are gonna be pissed at themselves for putting together all these insanely cheap lower level ticket packages that have included all kinds of bobbleheads and other merchandise.  lol
3/26/11 1:10 AM
quick
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It sucks when a team puts out a shit product and expects the fans to not only pack the arena, but also build them a new fucking arena.

And I swear I heard that the Maloofs wanted to hire Kevin Pritchard, but I might have just imagined that. lol Anyway maybe you will get doubly lucky in that they will stick around and you might end up with a GM who actually knows what the fuck he is doing.
3/26/11 2:15 AM
MadDog243
266 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Are you gonna follow them as a fan if they go there floppy?

I alwasy try to picture this question for myself. Would I still be a Suns fan if they moved to another city? I dont know. I honestly dont fucking know.

I hate watching franchises change hands like chess pieces. I became a Suns fan becasue my WWII vet grandfather (who died in 1999) taught me basketball and when he moved to Phoenix, Arizona in the 60s he loved this team at its creation with a ferocity I try to emmulate. He taght me how to ride a bike, how to shoot a basketball, and a number of other things. He was not the greatest of man, but he was my grandpa and it was really hard to endure his..lets call it a less than distinguished death ath the hands of alzheimers.

Im sorry I digressed way off base with this. Anyway, I feel you Floppy. You are a true fan and no one can tell you different.
3/27/11 3:08 PM
Floppy Divac

I don't know either, it's hard to imagine.  Sounds like Anaheim is really pushing to get them to come there now.   Fuck, they just went 4-1 on a 5 game road trip after beating Philly in OT today.  They are playing better than they have all year.
3/28/11 1:39 AM
kanotoa
181 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kings should go to San Francisco so they can be the Queens too.
3/28/11 3:33 AM
EKPOGI

^not a bad idea,maybe San Jose?
3/29/11 1:00 PM
Floppy Divac

San Jose would be my favorite option since I'm from there but I think the Warriors owner has issue with that.  And not that there' s gonna be football next year but the Niners are trying to move to Santa Clara, which is pretty much San Jose.

3/30/11 1:06 PM
EKPOGI

http://blogs.sacbee.com/sports/kings/archives/2011/03/city-of-sacrame.html#ixzz1HxAqe8yW

Sacramento city officials Monday fired off a terse letter to the city of Anaheim warning it to cease negotiations with the Sacramento Kings. The city went on to say it will seek state legislation to block Anaheim from issuing any inducements to lure the Kings -- unless Sacramento is first assured that the Kings will pay off the estimated $77 million they owe Sacramento.

In a phone conversation Monday night, Kings co-owner George Maloof told The Bee he was angry at the city's letter.

"It is interfering with our business," he said. "We're going to take every measure possible to protect ourselves. We have no intention of leaving that town without paying our debt. For someone to imply that we are not going to pay our debts, it's wrong, it's ridiculous."

The dramatic turn of events comes hours before the Anaheim City Council is scheduled to vote on issuing $75 million in bonds. The bonds would include $25 million to make upgrades to the Honda Center arena and $50 million for a loan to the Kings to cover moving costs.

The Sacramento letter, emailed Monday afternoon to Anaheim City Manager Thomas Wood, warns that Anaheim's actions could cause "irreparable harm" financially to the City of Sacramento. In the two-page letter, Sacramento Assistant City Manager John Dangberg asks the Anaheim City Council not to vote on the bonds Tuesday or take any other actions aimed at attracting the Kings.

Sacramento officials have hired a law firm to guide them on how to assure they are repaid $77 million they say the Kings are obligated to pay in full if the team should leave Sacramento.

Team owners have been in negotiations for months with officials at the Honda Center, owned by the city of Anaheim. On Friday, Anaheim published a tentative contract for a Kings' move to that city.

Anaheim officials had no immediate comment Monday. Dangberg's letter says if Anaheim insists on continuing negotiations with the Kings, Sacramento "must contractually require" the Kings to pay off the estimated $77 million the team owns the city of Sacramento.

Dangberg ends the letter to Anaheim City Manager Thomas Wood by saying Anaheim's environmental review of the impacts of the Honda Center improvment project is "woefully inadequate." An environmental impact challenge is a typical precursor to a lawsuit.

"You certainly understand the financial and budgetary implications for Sacramento were the Kings to relocate without satisfying their approximately $77 million obligation to pay off the city's bonds," Dangberg wrote.

Dangberg said Monday the city will immediately reach out to state Senate President Pro Tem Darrell Steinberg, D-Sacramento, seeking legislation to halt any move by Anaheim to entice the Kings to leave without first paying the city of Sacramento loan.

City officials say the terms of the local loan requires the Kings to pay the debt if they leave Power Balance Pavilion, but officials have been privately concerned the team may not pay. NBA officials on Monday said they have no comment. Kings officials also have declined comment on the potential move.
3/30/11 1:08 PM
EKPOGI

John Dangberg, Sacramento's assistant city manager, sent a letter earlier Monday to Anaheim City Manager Thomas Wood, expressing concern that actions taken by the Anaheim City Council tonight might cause "irreparable harm to the City of Sacramento."
In the letter , Dangberg also said the Maloofs had not provided "assurance" they would pay off a $73.8 million loan from the City of Sacramento, as contractually required, if the team decided to relocate.
Because of that perceived uncertainty, Dangberg "respectfully" requested in the letter that Anaheim city officials end negotiations related to the Kings' relocation and "not authorize" the proposed $75 million in lease-revenue bonds to help the Kings move and to upgrade Honda Center. That agenda item is expected to be voted on in Tuesday night's City Council meeting.
"That letter is completely wrong, and it was uncalled for – below the belt – and it's a shame it had to come out of his office," Maloof said. "We tried to be classy and not get in arguments in the media, but I (have to) make this comment.
"We will continue on with our business and do what is best for the viability of the franchise – what's best for the franchise and what's best for the league."
What upset Maloof the most was the inference in the letter that the family, which has owned the Kings since 1999, might not repay the loan immediately if the team decides to relocate. If the team moves before 2027, the Maloofs are contractually obligated to pay the outstanding amount, which the letter said is approximately $77 million.
It is a 1997 loan issued by the City of Sacramento to the previous Kings owner and inherited by the Maloofs.
"We've always satisfied our obligations to the City of Sacramento," Maloof said. "We're honest business people and we have never missed a payment. In fact, we're way ahead of schedule. A couple of years ago, we paid somewhere between $9 million and $11 million ahead because we wanted to lower the debt. ...
"We've always paid our financial obligations in the past, we're going to do it in the present and we're going to do it in the future. They have nothing to worry about. They will be paid in full, whatever it takes."
Maloof said he believes the letter, on the eve of the important City Council meeting, was an attempt to "block" the Kings' proposed move.
"You better be careful; don't mess around and interfere with our business," he said. "That's all we ask. Whatever (remedies) we have, we're going to use. We're dead-serious about this, because it's an awful letter. It should never have been sent, (because) it gives the wrong impression."
Maloof wondered why he would have to inform anyone now that loan would be paid, because the relocation process is ongoing and a formal application has not yet been filed.
"We're still the Sacramento Kings – nothing new there," he said.
The proposed lease-revenue bonds Anaheim city council members will vote on will go to Anaheim Arena Management, the Henry Samueli-owned company that operates Honda Center for the City of Anaheim.
Dangberg said in the letter if "Anaheim insists on continuing negotiations," it should make the bonds conditional on the Kings honoring their financial obligations. He also alluded to another letter that was being sent "expressing the City of Sacramento's concerns" about a recent environmental report that it termed "woefully inadequate."
In closing the letter, Dangberg alluded to items on the Anaheim City Council agenda tonight that could have a "blighting" impact on Sacramento, with or without repayment of the loan by the Maloofs, perhaps implying a lawsuit could be forthcoming.
"Politicians ..., " Maloof said, sighing. "Every day it's something new."

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.