UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Frank Shamrock: MMA is now officially the UFC

3/24/11 8:38 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

Frank Shamrock was a UFC middleweight champion in the 1990s. Over the past several years he has engaged in an increasinglyt bitter feud with UFC President Dana White, who called Shamrock a "two-faced lying chump." Shamrock in return offered to fight White. Shamrock spent the last years of his career competing in Strikeforce, and now serves as a commentator for the now Zuffa owned promotion.

Now Shamrock is offering the UFC creditt.

“I would say that the sport is now officially the UFC,” Shamrock said during a “Savage Dog Show” interview on the Sherdog Radio Network. “Which has been their plan and strategy all along. Good on them for achieving it.”

“I knew [Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker] was having financial trouble. Not financial trouble -- I knew that he needed more money to expand and to compete in the marketplace. We had high-level talks over the past few months. I was trying to help him. People were trying to help him. I knew he had to make a decision or make an exit or something. I knew something was coming. I was pretty shocked it was the UFC, but it is what it is: big business.”

“This is business. I supported the brand of Strikeforce because I believe in the dream of martial arts and I believe in Coker’s vision and in his passion, and he was honest. To me, that’s all I need to do business with people. I believed in that.”

Read entire article...
Listen to entire interview...(26:56 mark)

3/24/11 9:31 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Coolface_Awesomeson
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It is now going to be impossible to convince people that UFC is not the name of the sport.

(Confusing article title is confusing.)
3/24/11 9:48 AM
bear_85_

What Frank really said:

"Look Dana, I'm a company man now. Here are my Tax details and my c.v., can I start Monday? .... Never liked Ranallo anyway"
3/24/11 10:08 AM
PrideFC RIP

^^^Difficult question to answer exactly, however I believe it was Jeff Blatnick? Phone Post
3/24/11 10:10 AM
icrow

This ain't front page it's been said a while ago
3/24/11 10:11 AM
Badlands Meanie

Does this mean Frank will be able to get his braces off any time soon?
3/24/11 10:42 AM
Melvinator86

Hes getting that chapstick ready! Let the ass kissing begin! Phone Post
3/24/11 11:52 AM
JeremyLambert88
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's always been UFC to the majority of the audience. Sad but true.
3/24/11 12:35 PM
Slevin Kalevra

shamrock is a tool
3/24/11 12:42 PM
MetaDevil
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Slevin Kalevra - shamrock is a tool

3/24/11 3:23 PM
Chware teg

Sounds like a man up s**t creek with no paddle. Phone Post
3/24/11 4:00 PM
HELWIG

Is it possible and reasonable to both give credit for the UFC's ability to destroy competition while also being positive that it is ultimately very bad for the sport and the athletes?
3/24/11 8:58 PM
soldierdad5417

HELWIG -  Is it possible and reasonable to both give credit for the UFC's ability to destroy competition while also being positive that it is ultimately very bad for the sport and the athletes?

I was going to say something along these lines, but seeing it from a green name makes it scarily true.
3/24/11 9:48 PM
HELWIG

A lot of fans wanted "sportfighting"

3/24/11 10:25 PM
Chokeyou2

Fight Resource & iFight Athletics
3/25/11 1:59 AM
Rickson's Aura

Typical of the idiots of the UG to bash Frank Shamrock. By no means was he kissing ass to the UFC like Barnett unfortunately was reduced to doing. If you heard the interview, you would know Frank's opinion of Dana hasn't changed.

Frank Shamrock carried the UFC during the dark ages and was working to move the sport forward at a time when nobody cared. He helped Scott Coker build Strikeforce into a mainstream promotion. Because of this monopoly his contribution will be forgotten. That's what Dana does.

Remember BJ Penn's book ...in his own words ...

------------------
When it was finally official I was going to fight in Japan, White called me up and told me his true
feelings.

“You motherfucker! You’re fucking done! You’ll never fight in the UFC again! You’re finished. You’re scorched earth, motherfucker. Scorched earth. Don’t call me crying saying you want to come back because you’re fucking done!” And on and on and on, like a true professional—even going so far as to tell me I would never see my face again in a UFC video, promotion, or anything else. He also planned on removing my fight with Hughes from the UFC 46: Supernatural DVD so no one would even know who I was.

“It doesn’t have to be this way,” I told him. “You know it wouldn’t take that much to make this work.”
But he just kept yelling.

-----------------------
3/25/11 2:28 AM
Magic8

EPGScott - 
MetaDevil - 

he's also a legend, and one of the most influential figures in MMA history.  But I'm sure you guys are way cooler...
3/25/11 2:26 PM
HELWIG

Wow that book sounds nuts.
3/25/11 2:32 PM
HELWIG

"sport fighting never heard of that one. but i took a good 6 year break from about 99 to 05."

Oh man, thats probably the worst time in history to have taken a 5+ year break, lol.

Shit was mind-boggling how much things changed.

The GP on ppv in 2000 had people shitting dicks.
3/25/11 2:53 PM
Mark Hunter
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

All I wanna know is . . . does this mean we can get Renzo/Frank at UFC Rio???
3/25/11 3:06 PM
TheBeebs
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Braces off? Why so people would take him seriously".......no, apparently so he can suckle DFW's balls without incident. Phone Post
3/25/11 3:23 PM
mma ray
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rickson's Aura - Typical of the idiots of the UG to bash Frank Shamrock. By no means was he kissing ass to the UFC like Barnett unfortunately was reduced to doing. If you heard the interview, you would know Frank's opinion of Dana hasn't changed.

Frank Shamrock carried the UFC during the dark ages and was working to move the sport forward at a time when nobody cared. He helped Scott Coker build Strikeforce into a mainstream promotion. Because of this monopoly his contribution will be forgotten. That's what Dana does.

Remember BJ Penn's book ...in his own words ...

------------------
When it was finally official I was going to fight in Japan, White called me up and told me his true
feelings.

“You motherfucker! You’re fucking done! You’ll never fight in the UFC again! You’re finished. You’re scorched earth, motherfucker. Scorched earth. Don’t call me crying saying you want to come back because you’re fucking done!” And on and on and on, like a true professional—even going so far as to tell me I would never see my face again in a UFC video, promotion, or anything else. He also planned on removing my fight with Hughes from the UFC 46: Supernatural DVD so no one would even know who I was.

“It doesn’t have to be this way,” I told him. “You know it wouldn’t take that much to make this work.”
But he just kept yelling.

-----------------------

This is a sad case. I could only imagine how many people hate that scumbag, but they are forced to work for him, because there is pretty much nowhere else to work. We would be suprised who actually loathes him deep down.
How many people has blaf alienated??? Shammy, BJ, Miletich, Gracies, Randy, Fedor. etc. etc. etc.
Now basically everyone will say the right things, as to not rock the boat so to speak.
Now honestly think about it. In Penns case for instance. Do you honestly beleive hearing your douchebag boss say this to you, then you put it in print, that one day you'll just forgive and forget. I'm sure deep down BJ absolutely despises the guy. as does half of zuffa employees.......but then again this is America. I'm sure most of us hate our bosses.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.