UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> Focused Striking

3/24/11 11:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Old Red Belt
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The first thing I noticed when I started teaching as a striking coach for MMA was the serious lack of focus with punches and kicks. The other was the disbelief someone could be knocked out with one technique. It dealt with the lack of knowledge of anatomy and (kime) or a focused technique. It was like going to the rifle range and teaching people how to shoot accurately. They could learn or already knew the techniques but couldn't hit precisely enough to use them. They thought it was a power thing. After a month things started to change to a power,speed, accuracy, thing; while many of the real tuffs reported they didn't want to get hit with some of my strikes. However the Jiujitsu coach was really happy with this saying now we have a standup and ground game, I knew that. I'm not going to give it away but its no real secret to normal karate training.
3/26/11 11:30 PM
cfadeftac

Hey Old Red Belt,

What style of Karate did you study? And how did you take the MMA guys from brawlers to focused strikers.

After years of Kempo and FMA I really like to see traditional Arts leak back into MMA. Around here we had a toughman contest and one of the local Karate Sensei's sons entered and literally cleaned house.

3/27/11 2:37 AM
Old Red Belt

Well that's some good questions. Style is Okamiryu (All
American Combat Karate.)It means master style or a wolf. We don't bite people very much. If you took Gojuryu and Taekwondo you would be close. Well they were not brawlers per say they had a very fine ground game and good boxing skills. To improve on the overall fighter I saw this group needing kicks other than roundhouse and front thrust kick. I gave them three more with precise targeting practice much like dojo training but mostly on the bag. Now the fighters are more well rounded with standup and ground giving a full weaponization of the human body. I think I'll be training some UFC fighters soon in this concept.
Notably one of my old students who only made a Purple Belt went on to win 157 tuff man fights using my striking techniques so I know it works. Self discipline is one of the keys to training, if we train a world class fighter they must live like a Spartan in the Dojo. They eat,sleep, and train for an allotted time. No hype, and no fooling around outside.
3/29/11 4:50 AM
alz

steven seagal taught anderson silva that front kick
3/30/11 5:08 PM
Old Red Belt

Edited: 03/30/11 5:08 PM
I see many fighters and students with the misconception that power is where its at. So they learn something close to correct and go into an MMA Octagon way to early, and wonder why they cant score a knockout. Had they taken the time to learn the technique properly with focus and control they would have scored more stand up knock outs. It is hard to convince many fighters that focused strikes work until you actually knock them out with it. That's going to happen this weekend another MMA school is coming to play, of course they have a good ground game and so do we. However, the difference will be in the stand up. I'll let you know what happened.
3/30/11 8:46 PM
Ezekiel

Awesome! Definately update on this page. I am very curious. You said they have good boxing. Now is that "good" boxing from a boxers perspective or is it "good" boxing from a perspective of a Karateka and MMA'ers. Because a good boxer by boxing standards is levels above most MMAists. Because if they have solid hands from boxing, and you gave them more kicks, knees and elbow attacks while also teaching the intracasies of combinations and footwork within the MMA rule set, then I can see you guys crushing the competition. I am wondering out of curiosity and would like to see video too.
3/30/11 8:56 PM
Ezekiel

cfadeftac - Hey Old Red Belt,

What style of Karate did you study? And how did you take the MMA guys from brawlers to focused strikers.

After years of Kempo and FMA I really like to see traditional Arts leak back into MMA. Around here we had a toughman contest and one of the local Karate Sensei's sons entered and literally cleaned house.

The thing is about "traditional" martial arts is that all the martial arts in MMA are traditional if you go by the current understanding term. I mean Muay Thai is centuries old. Boxing centuries old too but the modern rules are only 100 plus years. Judo stems from the late 1800's. BJJ stems from early 1900's. Most modern Karate styles were established in the late 1800's to mid 1950's. Wrestling is centuries old. Sumo is centuries old. Tae Kwon Do was born in the 20th century. The same with Sambo. The same with Kickboxing (Dutch/Japanese/American). Shui Jiao is centuries old. You see where I'm going with this. This whole "alternative" vs. "traditional" vs. "realistic" martial arts is just silly. Because the alternative of Muay Thai, BJJ, wrestling, boxing really is not anything new. It is just the fact the world had a disillusion with combative practices due to pop culture, misinterpreting the goals of internal martial arts, and being naive to follow the Tae Kwon Do/Mc Karate/invincible Kung fu elephant walk of the past 50 years. "Realistic" marital arts exploit the usage of military personal and an appeal to fear. NOt saying the training is not effective.
3/31/11 12:54 AM
Old Red Belt

Edited: 03/31/11 12:58 AM
Good point, it is true that some dojo's, dojangs, and kwoons did in fact lower their standards to make a buck. That practice has been around about as long as there has been martial art schools in America. Then many kept their standards. Along the way there were many martial art fads, including,kung fu, ninjas,olympic, military combat and so forth. Somehow insurance companies came in and scared all the instructors into thinking they were going to get sued and down went the training standards. Styles became inflated..it either took too much time to make a black belt or not enough, depending on who you happen to be talking to.<br />Personally I set my standard that was somewhere in the middle and kept on punching and kicking. Human beings have not changed much since the Spartans first jotted down hand to hand techniques. A big, bad, skilled, human can still be brought down in a game of the quick and the dead. I have fighters like that now, and really I mean we it takes a staff of trainers to make a well rounded octagon fighter. I will know soon.
4/1/11 3:10 PM
cdueck
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The only martial arts that have not been watered down are the grappling arts. This is because you can't water down a throw or a submission. Karate the way it was trained 20 years ago would not survive today. A good friend of my dad's used to teach Isshin ryu when I was a kid and they used to average about 200 push-ups a class that doesn't include all the other conditioning they did as well. 
4/2/11 2:07 AM
Old Red Belt

I enjoyed demonstrating the Isshin ryu square punch today, in the striking class. It is a bit faster than the boxers jab that many use. To me it is just another technique but some were intrigued with the idea of placing the thumb on top of the fist. The One Heart System of Ezio Shimabuku.
4/23/11 10:30 AM
karl1

Edited: 04/23/11 10:33 AM
<blockquote>Old Red Belt - I see many fighters and students with the misconception that power is where its at. So they learn something close to correct and go into an MMA Octagon way to early, and wonder why they cant score a knockout. Had they taken the time to learn the technique properly with focus and control they would have scored more stand up knock outs. </blockquote>

Hi Red Belt,
hopefully were on about the same thing:-)

I've been teaching Self Defence and power striking for a few years now and I find focused striking a very important part of that,I really feel it can really improve people's power/control significantly like you said.Heres my instructor explaining the types he used as a doorman for knockouts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnpm6Xr3ZT8
I think someone like chuck liddell is a very good example of someone in MMA who use's focused striking very well.

Anybody here do any paper training?

cheers
4/23/11 12:58 PM
jrrrrr
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

for later
4/23/11 1:53 PM
Old Red Belt

Edited: 04/23/11 1:56 PM
The task goes on....The fighters now are ready for any amateur fight, stand up and ground work. But other local state schools don't want to fight them. It seems the minute words gets out that a school has a stand up game, this happens. The fighters themselves seem confident. The ace in the hole is the Army athletes on our team. They come in with training from other schools and Army Combatives then get refined with the Wrestling, Jiujitsu, Karate, Mauy Thai, Boxing, and whatever. It is really a style in itself this What Ever Style but the scientific part of focused punches and kicks lends to the fighters focusing on other techniques with the same intensity. It is no longer practice to be perfect, it is perfect practice makes perfect.<br /><br />Any time you get to study with a master of any martial art the finer points come out. If the student takes the time to learn exactly the way the master teaches it the technique never dies.
5/5/11 12:21 PM
Ogami Itto
219 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MYTHRDS
5/5/11 12:27 PM
Ogami Itto
219 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

karl1 - 
Old Red Belt - I see many fighters and students with the misconception that power is where its at. So they learn something close to correct and go into an MMA Octagon way to early, and wonder why they cant score a knockout. Had they taken the time to learn the technique properly with focus and control they would have scored more stand up knock outs.

Hi Red Belt,
hopefully were on about the same thing:-)

I've been teaching Self Defence and power striking for a few years now and I find focused striking a very important part of that,I really feel it can really improve people's power/control significantly like you said.Heres my instructor explaining the types he used as a doorman for knockouts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnpm6Xr3ZT8
I think someone like chuck liddell is a very good example of someone in MMA who use's focused striking very well.

Anybody here do any paper training?

cheers

5/5/11 12:29 PM
Ogami Itto

cfadeftac - Hey Old Red Belt,

Would love to see video.
5/5/11 12:30 PM
Ogami Itto

5/9/11 10:51 PM
Old Red Belt

This is a fine discussion with good input. I like the human weapon example as it gives a good scientific explanation of what is happening. This was one of the problems of years past as Japanese, Korean and Chinese masters were not able to get the point across as there was a language barrier in many cases. I believe Bruce Lee was first to break this barrier as he was an excellent professor. With modern equipment and scientific teaching things are getting better no matter what the style.
5/23/11 5:27 AM
karl1

Heres a clip I made as a follow on from my instructors clip,talking about focused striking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTRuX0eMhME

9/10/11 6:33 PM
Palmala Handerson
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
9/12/11 9:24 AM
Ogami Itto

karl1 - Heres a clip I made as a follow on from my instructors clip,talking about focused striking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTRuX0eMhME

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.