UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Toilet seat bass

3/25/11 12:55 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Racer X
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A bass I built with artist Robbie Schoen as part of his "Spare Guitars" series:

Jazz bass pickup in toilet paper spindle, flush lever volume control.

Bridge is from a classic Gibson EB-0, circa 1960-ish.
3/25/11 11:42 PM
Ze Dano
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nice work Racer...I like that it's more that just the "terlit ring" in that you added the flush lever and put the pickup in the spindle.

but does it sound like shit? kidding!!!!!
7/20/11 4:29 AM
Racer X
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Doesn't sound like shit, has lots of bottom end! ;)
7/24/11 9:31 PM
Invisible Lats Syndrome
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

All it needs is another pickup with a high flush/low flush selector.
7/25/11 10:49 AM
Racer X

ILS, maybe we'll do that on the guitar version. The seat will be turned around for more of a flying V-ish effect.
7/25/11 11:52 PM
Invisible Lats Syndrome

Racer X -  ILS, maybe we'll do that on the guitar version. The seat will be turned around for more of a flying V-ish effect.

Oh man, that's too much. Put single coil pickups in it and call it the 'Toilecaster' please.
8/2/11 12:11 PM
Racer X

Another one, The Mellinium Fender. Fretless Fender Jazz Bass neck, Basswood body hidden inside a Hasbro toy. Jackson P-Bass style pickup.

8/2/11 12:18 PM
Racer X

The Ouija!

Dean 5-string neck mounted to Swamp Ash body. Ibanez active electronics. Pickups are hidden, neck pickup under P and C of alphabet and bridge pickup under planchete(the actual name of that giat guitar pick looking doohickey). Volume knob is in the "eye" of planchete, near the tip, and pickup switch is discrete slider in letter "I" of OUIJA. GREAT sounding bass. Not lightweight, but would be a decent coffee table if it had fold out legs on the back.
8/2/11 12:26 PM
Racer X

The Washboard

Please note soap dish style headstock, as well as fingernail brush-mounted bridge. Shower control volume knob, kitchenette countertop pickguard loaded with vintage Kay pickups(or maybe Silvertone?). Pickguard is raised off washboard surface with thimbles, usually worn on all fingers of the "strumming hand".
I wanted to put a piezo pickup on the washboard with it's own output. Robbie asked how that would sound, and I speculated that the tone might resemble a hailstorm in a Quonset Hut. He suggested that it would likely sound plenty obnoxious without it, so we passed.
8/3/11 11:45 AM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love The Mellinium Fender!!!!!!!!!!
They have one of those at a local antiques store close by my house...

Temptation...
8/3/11 5:42 PM
Racer X

Demitrius Barbito -  I love The Mellinium Fender!!!!!!!!!!
They have one of those at a local antiques store close by my house...

Temptation...

We would be happy to turn it into a guitar or bass for you!

With or without original functioning lights and sounds. Sounds can be routed to guitar output. Blaster and Hyperdrive! WooHoo!

We can make the chassis from any tonewood, and it can affect the sound quite a bit.

Any hardware, any electronics.

8/4/11 11:49 PM
Ali
670 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/04/11 11:49 PM
All those after the first one are really cool looking. The first one just looks like too juvenile a joke.

That said, if they sound good...

I really like the look of the Millennium, even if I have no idea what toy it's made from. And I like the idea of the Ouija... my Crowley-ite past, I suppose. And the Washboard just about screams country-blues to me.

All respect.
8/5/11 1:31 AM
Racer X

I think they are ALL very silly, but fun.

And the Washboard guitar. Too obvious to say it has a very clean tone? :)
8/5/11 8:08 AM
Ali
670 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There's silly and there's be-kinda-embarrassed-to-play.

Actually, given my nonexistent bass playing skills, I'd be embarrassed to play pretty much any bass.
8/5/11 11:19 AM
Racer X

Ali - There's silly and there's be-kinda-embarrassed-to-play.

Actually, given my nonexistent bass playing skills, I'd be embarrassed to play pretty much any bass.

Now you're judging the embarrassment potential? Nah, novelty is novelty. It's not like it's a guitar shaped like a dick.....

Now THAT is a guitar I'd never build. Shit, I'd be emotionally scarred by sanding the neck.
8/5/11 12:56 PM
goodandevil

Um, dicking around?
8/5/11 7:40 PM
Ali

I can't un-see that damn thing, now. Did I really deserve that? I guess I halfway asked for it...
8/5/11 7:52 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Being the poor bastard that I a (self imposed) I want to do my own Mellinium Fender... Still, it's too much work/money...

But, it strikes a chord with my inner (dysfunctional) child...

;)
1/27/12 12:24 PM
Racer X

Stay tuned to this thread for the Toilet Seat Guitar,coming soon!
2/3/12 9:45 AM
breakit

sub'd
2/4/12 8:26 AM
Hillbilly
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2/4/12 8:27 AM
Hillbilly

My friend Lisa from NOLA plays this thing that is sort of similar to your washboard guitar.
2/13/12 10:41 PM
Racer X

That woman has STYLE!

And a killer axe!

She should be on our creative team!  ;)
2/14/12 9:54 AM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RX, it's pretty obvious nobody will buy your washboard guitar until you put a desk bell on it.
2/14/12 11:00 AM
Hillbilly

She has no doubt lead a hard life, but oh man can she sing..

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.