UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Torn Bicep.....How long?

3/25/11 12:56 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
CoreNobody
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My bud tore his bicep last night training,dont think its all the way through.He goes to the Dr on Monday,was curious how long he has to be out of training?
He's really bummed,just got back from an elbow,and now this....poor fucker.

Thanks guys,Core.
3/27/11 6:55 PM
commando puma
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One of our guys did that last year, full tear.

He was out 8 months, he's back now. Had 3 fights since, finished 1 with leg kick, 1 ko and recently a dec.

I sure your friend will come back strong.
5/11/11 2:00 PM
ChangoBravo
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I tore my distal bicep tendon on january 7th 2010.

Surgical repair on the 14th.

The Orthopaedist initialy advised a stoppage of bjj and boxing for 8 months(September 2011). Tendons take a notoriously long time to heal because even when healthy they have a poor blood supply.

My last follow up appointment was March 23. 68 days post op. I had zero pain, full range of motion and about 50% strength. DO NOT LET THIS FOOL YOU!!! It was far from healed.

Orthopaedist changed his mind and said I can return to BJJ and boxing (within reason) mid July.

Today I started lifting again. Stronglifts 5x5. I was able to accomodate all lifts except overhead presses. Pressing from that position hurt like a million motherfuckers! In spite of what I thought, I am not healed!

Tell your friend to take it easy. This injury often takes a full year. Average healing time is 8-9 months. 6-7 months feels great,and will fool you, but there is till alot of healing to be done.

Chango

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.