UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Jon Jones' BJJ instructor: In gi he's a white belt

3/25/11 2:52 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
914 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

“Jiu-Jitsu helps me to pick good positions and I do like GSP does when he uses his elbows. I have to thank my Jiu-Jitsu coach, he’s responsible for my evolution on the floor, he’s a Brazilian named Igor, and he’s helped me a lot.”
Jon Jones, at the UFC 128 post post fight press con

Eduardo Ferreira: How did you meet Jon Jones?

Igor Araujo: During the trainings. I’ve moved to New Mexico on the beginning of the year, but I once trained with Greg Jackson in November last year.

EF: How much time did you work together for this Shogun’s bout?

IA: A total of four weeks. Every afternoon me, him and usually Greg Jackson worked on Shogun’s good Jiu-Jitsu positions. On the week of the fight I went to New Jersey with him and we worked on this every single day.

EF: How do you evaluate Jon Jones’ ground game?

IA: Man, he’s really smart, he’s a quick learner, but to talk about Jiu-Jitsu you have to put a kimono on him, so he if he wears one, he’d be a white belt. But for MMA he has a good ground game, he has evolved a lot since we started training together. He really gives his whole best, and his ground game on MMA… He finished Bader, Shogun couldn’t sweep him, so he’s good on the ground.

EF: How were things before the fight?

IA: He was pretty confident. He has tattooed on his chest one word that makes reference to the Bible, that is “I do all for the ones who strengthen me”. He’s a religious guy. God and self-confidence and hard trainings brings you closer to victory. But I believe that talking thing is more for promoting the fight, because he really respects Shogun.

EF: He’ll now fight Rashad Evans, his team mate. Will you work with him for this bout?

IA: I’ll be at the gym training, that’s for sure, and I believe all guys will train there too, we’re working together side by side, for our careers, because everybody has fights to do and, if I can help him, I’ll do it for sure.

Read entire article...

3/25/11 2:53 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MoreThanUFC
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good thing there is no gi in the UFC.....
3/25/11 3:10 PM
triso07
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It would suck to be the other white belts in Jon's GI class lol
3/25/11 3:15 PM
Brian Rule
233 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I do all for the ones* who strengthen me"

- Philippians

* except anyone named Rashad
3/25/11 3:16 PM
Fake Rassler

Edited: 03/25/11 3:16 PM
What other belt would he put on with a gi? LOL@UG news headlines

"ARROGANT JON JONES OFFICIALLY 'PROMOTES' SELF TO BLUE BELT"
3/25/11 3:18 PM
Fake Rassler

triso07 - It would suck to be the other white belts in Jon's GI class lol

Jones has to pass the 6 month "no rolling" threshold for white belts first!
3/25/11 3:25 PM
r_o_y

Edited: 03/25/11 3:27 PM
white belt,black belt,pink belt...damn i don't really care.
3/25/11 3:30 PM
Hunter V
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

r_o_y - white belt,black belt,pink belt...damn i don't really care.

lol, yet you cared enough to post on this thread.
3/25/11 3:31 PM
jellyman
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So he has to hit a black belt at least 5 times before he can roll with them Phone Post
3/25/11 3:37 PM
jps1012
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

triso07 - It would suck to be the other white belts in Jon's GI class lol

lol
3/25/11 3:58 PM
BenBJJ
228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I read the thread title as his coach having a white belt. Damn my brain!
3/25/11 4:07 PM
r_o_y

Hunter V - 
r_o_y - white belt,black belt,pink belt...damn i don't really care.

lol, yet you cared enough to post on this thread.

i wasn't talking about the thread itself. i more meant i don't care about a persons belt color.
3/25/11 4:09 PM
Hunter V
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yes, but you post in a thread that is pretty much about his training and where the title of the thread starts off on its rank, lol.
3/25/11 4:11 PM
TheGARV
153 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAHQ, Click for Sale Price
He would be clueless in a gi.  Most blue belts, and probably some 2 stripe white belts would tool him by using the gi and the grips involved with the gi.  FACT!
3/25/11 4:13 PM
Hunter V

I doubt any normal blue or white belt is tooling him in the gi period. They will last longer, but his wrestling skill and natural ability would more then make up for it.
3/25/11 6:45 PM
Ryan Cox

TheGARV - He would be clueless in a gi.  Most blue belts, and probably some 2 stripe white belts would tool him by using the gi and the grips involved with the gi.  FACT!

=D 2-stripe white belt here saying that I'd be lucky to last a minute in a jiu-jitsu tournament against JBJ without getting choked.
3/25/11 6:54 PM
noshame
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheGARV - He would be clueless in a gi.  Most blue belts, and probably some 2 stripe white belts would tool him by using the gi and the grips involved with the gi.  FACT!

L O L

Are you kidding? Of course he's a white because he hasn't trained gi techniques. no way any white rolls competitively with him.
3/25/11 10:01 PM
Spidermonkey
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That says to me if he was ever put on his back Jones would be in serious trouble.

Is there a fighter out there that can put Jones on his back?
3/25/11 10:10 PM
Silverball
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

People are grasping at straws.
3/26/11 7:45 PM
Attila
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I guess that says more about the BJJ belt system than it does about Jones.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.