UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> ROUSEY WINS PRO DEBUT IN 25 SECONDS

4/17/11 12:30 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Missing Glove Tape
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gbutts - 
Missing Glove Tape - WAR ROUSEY!!!
gbutts - anyway the bjj worlds is coming up and she will be there unless some big money fight comes up.

That's what I like to hear.

well ronda won't be doing the bjj worlds she has a fight june 17th (the opponent has not been name but it is not Erin toughill); however, she will be doing the july grapplersquest in vegas

Like jbb wrote, it's disappointing but understandable. I suppose with the recent monopolizing goings on it's better for her to get a string of fights and make her money now in pursuit of the big names than it is to collect medals don't pay the bills.

One thing's for sure, though, once she gets to the mma mountaintop she needs a Fedor-like restructuring of her contract(s) that allows her to compete where and when she wants in between fights like he did/does with combat sambo. ;)

Nevertheless, much luck with this next step, and I hope the opponent/venue comes as a (big) surprise. WAR ROUSEY!!!
4/19/11 2:00 AM
gbutts
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

this article is not relate but it is good reading:

Ronda Rousey at West Coast Judo Training Center: Is this a story?
Someone told me that I should write about Ronda teaching at the West Coast Judo Training Center. He said that we take her for granted and there is not another place on earth that you can come learn from an Olympic medalist who has been ranked top in the world in two different events just by popping in the door and paying ten bucks.

I was surprised by that suggestion because it didn't seem particularly noteworthy to me. She's been teaching there on and off since it began, first in Industry, in the old Guerreros Dojo site, thanks to Frank Sanchez allowing free use of his facility, and now in West Covina.

He pointed out that Ronda was ranked number one in the world as an amateur in mixed martial arts and that she won her first professional fight in twenty-five seconds.

Yes, I know.

Ronda is a very good judo player. I guess she's good at that punching, kicking, biting, eye-gouging, elbowing, spitting and whatever else that mixed martial arts stuff is, too. She really is a good teacher.

He also pointed out that since next Sunday is Easter, we won't be having practice (no, duh) and Ronda had to work doing physical therapy for dogs last Sunday (I'm not kidding) and that May 8th is Mother's Day, this is one of only two times in a month that people can come to a practice she will be running at the training center.

Yes, I know.

It's not that we don't recognize and appreciate all of the accomplishments Ronda has had. It's just that for kids like Julia who have been coming to practice with her there since she was four years old. it doesn't seem much like remarking on.

I did remember something today that did make it noteworthy and motivated me to follow this suggestion and write about it anyway. Years ago, Sus Kono, who is the fabulously brilliant instructor of Valley Judo Institute in Sun Valley advised me,

"You need to invite people to come to practice. "

When I protested that I didn't need to invite people to practice, that OF COURSE, everyone was welcome, he responded,

"Yes, but they don't KNOW that. You need to invite people to come."
Over the years, I have learned that Sus is right about that and almost everything else he ever told me, too.

So, yes, Ronda will be running practice tomorrow starting at 3 pm. She is a great athlete, great teacher and doesn't call her mother often enough. Sensei Richard (Blinky) Elizalde will be there, too, and yours truly. Blinky is a terrific technician and an excellent teacher. I don't know how often he calls his mother. If she is still alive she must be really old because Blinky started judo back in the 1960s. I'll be there, too, and I don't particularly suck at teaching, either. I might have to duck out early to go to mass because it is Palm Sunday.

Everyone is welcome to come. If you want to have a good hard work out, learn judo or grappling from Ronda (or Blinky or me), just show up. Take the 10 to Vincent. It's where the West Covina Mall is. Go south about a mile to Vine Ave. On your right you'll see Hongkong Plaza. On the left is a strip mall where you'll find the West Coast Judo Training Center. There is also a dog grooming place next door that has a sign outside that says not to pee on the sidewalk. We weren't going to anyway so I, for one, find that sign unnecessary.

Oh, and Sus real name is Susumu and if you are thinking of making fun of him because he has a name like in that song, "A boy named Sue", don't, because he can kick your ass.

4/19/11 2:00 AM
gbutts
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Always amuses me the people who want to be champions but only work out when it's convenient for them. Hint: It doesn't work that way 1 day ago
4/19/11 2:04 AM
gbutts

put up 6 videos of grapplingx matches from last sunday still have 11 more. good matches but it was a very long day for kids and teens.
4/19/11 2:10 AM
gbutts

gbutts - this article is not relate but it is good reading:

Ronda Rousey at West Coast Judo Training Center: Is this a story?
Someone told me that I should write about Ronda teaching at the West Coast Judo Training Center. He said that we take her for granted and there is not another place on earth that you can come learn from an Olympic medalist who has been ranked top in the world in two different events just by popping in the door and paying ten bucks.

I was surprised by that suggestion because it didn't seem particularly noteworthy to me. She's been teaching there on and off since it began, first in Industry, in the old Guerreros Dojo site, thanks to Frank Sanchez allowing free use of his facility, and now in West Covina.

He pointed out that Ronda was ranked number one in the world as an amateur in mixed martial arts and that she won her first professional fight in twenty-five seconds.

Yes, I know.

Ronda is a very good judo player. I guess she's good at that punching, kicking, biting, eye-gouging, elbowing, spitting and whatever else that mixed martial arts stuff is, too. She really is a good teacher.

He also pointed out that since next Sunday is Easter, we won't be having practice (no, duh) and Ronda had to work doing physical therapy for dogs last Sunday (I'm not kidding) and that May 8th is Mother's Day, this is one of only two times in a month that people can come to a practice she will be running at the training center.

Yes, I know.

It's not that we don't recognize and appreciate all of the accomplishments Ronda has had. It's just that for kids like Julia who have been coming to practice with her there since she was four years old. it doesn't seem much like remarking on.

I did remember something today that did make it noteworthy and motivated me to follow this suggestion and write about it anyway. Years ago, Sus Kono, who is the fabulously brilliant instructor of Valley Judo Institute in Sun Valley advised me,

"You need to invite people to come to practice. "

When I protested that I didn't need to invite people to practice, that OF COURSE, everyone was welcome, he responded,

"Yes, but they don't KNOW that. You need to invite people to come."
Over the years, I have learned that Sus is right about that and almost everything else he ever told me, too.

So, yes, Ronda will be running practice tomorrow starting at 3 pm. She is a great athlete, great teacher and doesn't call her mother often enough. Sensei Richard (Blinky) Elizalde will be there, too, and yours truly. Blinky is a terrific technician and an excellent teacher. I don't know how often he calls his mother. If she is still alive she must be really old because Blinky started judo back in the 1960s. I'll be there, too, and I don't particularly suck at teaching, either. I might have to duck out early to go to mass because it is Palm Sunday.

Everyone is welcome to come. If you want to have a good hard work out, learn judo or grappling from Ronda (or Blinky or me), just show up. Take the 10 to Vincent. It's where the West Covina Mall is. Go south about a mile to Vine Ave. On your right you'll see Hongkong Plaza. On the left is a strip mall where you'll find the West Coast Judo Training Center. There is also a dog grooming place next door that has a sign outside that says not to pee on the sidewalk. We weren't going to anyway so I, for one, find that sign unnecessary.

Oh, and Sus real name is Susumu and if you are thinking of making fun of him because he has a name like in that song, "A boy named Sue", don't, because he can kick your ass.

this was written last saturday so don't show tommorrow because the center is only open on saturday and sunday. there is are website http://wcjtc.blogspot.com/
4/19/11 7:45 AM
judoblackbelt
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Garry- I would be so lucky if I could train with Ronda sometime. Will check out your grappler X videos. thanks
4/19/11 8:29 AM
judoblackbelt
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gary, watched 2 Erin/2 Crystal matches. Did Erin win the 2nd match? My observations. With Erin I would focus more on arm bars than chokes. Her top control is so dominant and the arm(s) are there. From Kesa because of her flexibility she could step over the opponents head with her left leg for juji in her first fight trapping the right arm from her kesa hold. 2nd fight she was too high and that kid had a good guard. Now I am teaching the juniors to stay below the waist and grab the gi pants (not the belt anymore) just under the hips to break the legs with their elbows. Crystals top control is also dominant. When she gets the opponent to turn on their side is where I would tie up the top arm in Sankaku style and work from there. Maybe she could be taught a submission when she is in top mount. Where was her USA judo patch on her gi? Thanks. Some of the guys at the dojo are in awe of Erin and love watching her matches.
4/19/11 8:34 AM
gbutts

judoblackbelt - Gary, watched 2 Erin/2 Crystal matches. Did Erin win the 2nd match? My observations. With Erin I would focus more on arm bars than chokes. Her top control is so dominant and the arm(s) are there. From Kesa because of her flexibility she could step over the opponents head with her left leg for juji in her first fight trapping the right arm from her kesa hold. 2nd fight she was too high and that kid had a good guard. Now I am teaching the juniors to stay below the waist and grab the gi pants (not the belt anymore) just under the hips to break the legs with their elbows. Crystals top control is also dominant. When she gets the opponent to turn on their side is where I would tie up the top arm in Sankaku style and work from there. Maybe she could be taught a submission when she is in top mount. Where was her USA judo patch on her gi? Thanks. Some of the guys at the dojo are in awe of Erin and love watching her matches.

Erin won the second match 9-4. Crystal is wearing a new gi no patch yet.
4/19/11 1:16 PM
Missing Glove Tape

All I want to know is did Crystal not like the girl in her first match? lol There looked to be a lot of punishment being dished out, especially with the atomic knees! Poor girl even caught one in the face, me thinks. I was tempted to almost feel bad for her. ;)

And as I've said before, Erin is an animal on the mat also, and I think her speed and scrambling is particularly impressive. Would've been nice to see her submit that kid, of course, but even so I enjoyed the SOJ action she had going as instructed, as well as the coaching/commentary comedic gold. Though, I didn't quite understand what was going on ~3:45 in that first match re: "sportsmanship" and the off mat situation. I didn't see anything in Erin's play that could be construed as unsportsmanlike, only that the competitors were out of bounds as she was about to attack the arm when the ref(s) stopped the action. Kinda weird.
4/19/11 1:50 PM
gbutts

Missing Glove Tape - All I want to know is did Crystal not like the girl in her first match? lol There looked to be a lot of punishment being dished out, especially with the atomic knees! Poor girl even caught one in the face, me thinks. I was tempted to almost feel bad for her. ;)

And as I've said before, Erin is an animal on the mat also, and I think her speed and scrambling is particularly impressive. Would've been nice to see her submit that kid, of course, but even so I enjoyed the SOJ action she had going as instructed, as well as the coaching/commentary comedic gold. Though, I didn't quite understand what was going on ~3:45 in that first match re: "sportsmanship" and the off mat situation. I didn't see anything in Erin's play that could be construed as unsportsmanlike, only that the competitors were out of bounds as she was about to attack the arm when the ref(s) stopped the action. Kinda weird.

The ref said she was stalling even though she was attacking the arm . The boys coach kept shouting she stalling
4/19/11 1:57 PM
gbutts

gbutts - 
Missing Glove Tape - All I want to know is did Crystal not like the girl in her first match? lol There looked to be a lot of punishment being dished out, especially with the atomic knees! Poor girl even caught one in the face, me thinks. I was tempted to almost feel bad for her. ;)

The ref said she was stalling even though she was attacking the arm . The boys coach kept shouting she stalling

Those girls out weighed crystal by 20-30 pounds so told her not let them on top . The two girls crystal was purposed to fight pull out even though they paid $60. I'm going to post the black and brown matches tonight everyone is trying to get ready for the worlds
4/19/11 5:05 PM
Missing Glove Tape

gbutts - The ref said she was stalling even though she was attacking the arm . The boys coach kept shouting she stalling

Scandalous!
gbutts - Those girls out weighed crystal by 20-30 pounds so told her not let them on top . The two girls crystal was purposed to fight pull out even though they paid $60. I'm going to post the black and brown matches tonight everyone is trying to get ready for the worlds

I still don't understand the logic in pulling out of a tournament when you're physically capable of competing. Sure, nerves can be an obstacle and no one wants to get embarassed, but I'm sorry, fear of injury is not a valid or rational excuse. As I've said before, these are combat sports we're talking about here, so if junior/missy is too fragile(physically/mentally) to compete on even ground then there are other, non-contact activities they can get involved in.

Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to watching the other matches. And of course, good luck to everyone at worlds!
5/2/11 1:42 AM
gbutts

Just a quick update ronda fights in june (the third week of june) against a kickboxer. We are not doing the bjj worlds, Ronda,my kids and students, and Gokor people are head to Vegas for grapplers quest.
5/2/11 3:13 AM
CyborgRoyce
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey Gary, are you guys doing the San Fernando tournament in two weeks?
5/2/11 3:21 AM
gbutts

Edited: 05/02/11 3:22 AM
We have not decided yet. I might send 5 people (four kids and 1 bjj bb) there but it is our fund raising weekend. We just went to grapplingx and the tournament and the bjj in san jose, so funding is limited.
5/2/11 3:26 AM
CyborgRoyce
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/02/11 3:27 AM
Ah ok. I'll be there competing for UCLA BJJ but would be great to meet some fellow Judoka. Would be awesome to watch your guys compete
5/2/11 3:41 AM
gbutts

stop by the training center sometime the first weekend is also free
5/2/11 3:41 AM
gbutts

stop by the training center sometime the first weekend is also free
5/2/11 3:57 AM
CyborgRoyce

Yep will definitely try pop by some time. However I live in Santa Monica so the commute might be a bit much for me to train there regularly.
5/2/11 6:44 AM
gbutts

CyborgRoyce - Yep will definitely try pop by some time. However I live in Santa Monica so the commute might be a bit much for me to train there regularly.

we have people coming from barstow and san diego. Ronda and a few other people live santa monica, it is not that far.
5/3/11 2:31 PM
Missing Glove Tape

gbutts - Just a quick update ronda fights in june (the third week of june) against a kickboxer. We are not doing the bjj worlds, Ronda,my kids and students, and Gokor people are head to Vegas for grapplers quest.

Just saw the UG thread. She's fighting Julia Budd in Strikeforce? If so, congratulations on making it to the big show. Only a matter of time now before the reign of Rousey begins... ;)

WAR ROUSEY!!!
5/3/11 3:22 PM
judoblackbelt

I watch some of her matches. She is in excellent physical shape. Front kicks and side kicks, nice straight punches with both hands. In her Muay Thai fights there is a lot of clinching with knee strikes,inherrent to that style. If this happens Ronda will have the advantage here. So what happens after the throw and takedown? End game Ronda. So we have 2 opposite styles and who gets to whom first. It is obvious Ronda would want clinch,throw, submit and Julia wants to punch and kick from about 3-4 ft away.
5/4/11 1:22 AM
gbutts

judoblackbelt - I watch some of her matches. She is in excellent physical shape. Front kicks and side kicks, nice straight punches with both hands. In her Muay Thai fights there is a lot of clinching with knee strikes,inherrent to that style. If this happens Ronda will have the advantage here. So what happens after the throw and takedown? End game Ronda. So we have 2 opposite styles and who gets to whom first. It is obvious Ronda would want clinch,throw, submit and Julia wants to punch and kick from about 3-4 ft away.

I just talk to ronda and she is not fighting JUlia Budd. She has a fight with charline tweet in Canda june 17th at 155 and we are going to grapplers quest.
5/4/11 7:33 AM
judoblackbelt

thanks Gary, keep us posted. Maybe start a new thread on Ronda. I couldn't find any fight info on Charline Tweet. Please keep us updated on the events as they get closer. All of us pull for Ronda 100%.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.