UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> vitamin C from conifer trees

3/28/11 6:39 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jaywill
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I read the shtf article in Argentina , and he mentioned that it was hard to get ahold of fruit and when they went without for prolonged periods their gums would bleed and It hit me they had scurvy.  fresh fruit can be hard to come by in shtf so i figured id share a trick the native amercans did for the all important vitamin C .

- boil pine, spruce or fir needles into a tea, drink . theres your vitamin C .  

you probably know this already but just in case....
3/29/11 12:01 AM
ashleigh11
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i would rather have a broccoli smoothie.
3/29/11 11:16 AM
jaywill
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^sounds delicious , although not quite as convenient
3/29/11 12:17 PM
MoreThanUFC
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/31/11 11:04 AM
 Old news for us here on the SG, but many may not know that.  One cup of boiled pine needles has 10x the amount of Vit C in an equal amount of OJ.  If only the old Navies of the world knew that....

Oh, the pine needles must be fresh, not brown on the ground like Bear Grylls has shown. 

After boiling, let the mixture rest and settle.  Drink slowly, without tipping the cup back too far.  Toss out the bottom 3/4" of liquid in a standard blue-painted camping cup.  It's bitter and has a few chemicals in it that may constipate you.

3/29/11 12:38 PM
jaywill

i figured it was old news, but survivalgrounds been quiet since kvr took a break. needed a new thread haha.
3/31/11 11:00 AM
simthefarmer
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

that actually how our ancestors in canada survived the winters.
3/25/12 12:59 PM
Fudge Cake
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Interesting tip about only sipping off the top. Thanks!
3/31/12 2:32 AM
kanotoa
178 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Never heard this before, thanks!
4/12/12 10:49 PM
sourcheese
269 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ya this is good shit.
5/22/12 2:46 AM
Loiosh
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you don't want to destroy a lot of the vitamin C, boil the water first, then drop in the conifer needles after you remove the water from the heat source.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.