UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Royce preparing for UFC Rio, DFW don't think so

3/28/11 11:07 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1025 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

CagePotato.com received word over the weekend from a source close to the situation that Royce Gracie has cancelled the European leg of his spring seminar tour and that the official reason given to the group organizing his UK appearances (NJM promotions) is that the UFC Hall-of-Famer has accepted an offer from the promotion to fight on its August 27 card in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

According to NJM, Gracie’s manager, Mike Kogan revealed the news to them, which was relayed to the seminar host gyms in an effort to explain why the 44-year-old UFC 1, 2 and 4 tournament winner would not be able to make his scheduled appearances in England.

When contacted by us today via email to ask if Royce has indeed signed on to fight on the card, and if so, whom he will face, Kogan did not deny the stated reason for his client pulling out of his European tour, but said that nothing is official YET.

“We are talking about fighting in August,” Kogan confirmed. “Nothing is locked down, no.”

Read entire article...

However, just prior to the "Fight Night 24" broadcast on Rogers Sportsnet, Dana White was directly asked about Royce fighting at UFC Rio (2:14 mark). The always direct White was, well, direct ... "I don't think so."

3/28/11 11:11 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Chris Power
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana White never lies.
3/29/11 3:55 AM
FingerorMoon
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Royce vs Joe Rogan

COME ON DANA !!
3/29/11 4:29 AM
DBerry
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really hope not. Any fight with Royce Gracie in it is just taking up room on the main card that should be stacked with Brazilian fighters. He's a legend and deserves respect but I hope the UFC have him at the event and not fighting at it.
3/29/11 4:39 AM
frontrowbrian

I was thinking about some possible match ups for Rio. I think Aldo vs. Mendes might happen should Aldo get past Hominick.
3/29/11 5:36 AM
frontrowbrian

Edited: 03/29/11 5:50 AM
 Another rumor for RIO via Jon Luther @ Fight Hype.com... Shogun/Griffin II 
3/29/11 5:44 AM
myee8
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Royce has had his time in the spotlight, give it to some up and coming brazilian fighter for his chance. Phone Post
3/29/11 5:56 AM
john joe
370 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fighters Only Magazine
CLINTK9 -  Had one bad fight against Hughes, but did all right against Saku, who would beat Hughes!

on their current forms their is no way Sakuraba would beat Hughes. I really want Sak to retire gracefully, he is putting himself at risk now. Maybe the decline of JMMA will force his hand.
3/29/11 6:32 AM
RickRude

Royce/Frank Shamrock!! Phone Post
3/29/11 7:07 AM
crazydave
189 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Royce Gracie V. Minowaman
3/29/11 8:24 AM
BrockTheBearLesnar

Gracie vs Penn Phone Post
3/29/11 10:00 AM
6 Inch Punch

Royce vs. Ken Shamrock III would be awesome. Both guys are still on the same level and their ages and physical conditioning are equal too. This fight would draw fans like flies to poop in Brazil.
3/29/11 10:32 AM
Clegg

BrockTheBearLesnar -  Gracie vs Penn Phone Post

Royce would get killed....he actually might die in this fight
3/29/11 10:32 AM
Clegg

Big Nog needs to be on this card!!!!
3/29/11 2:04 PM
fiercedragon

please NO GRACIES!!! none! zero!
3/29/11 2:10 PM
BKViper
436 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chris Power - Dana White never lies.

And the first thing he says in the video is "He hasn't really thought about the idea of buying Strikeforce."  When was this video from?  A week before the announcement?
"I don't think so", may just mean, "I don't think so, but Joe Silva and other might think so and therefore sign him."!
3/29/11 2:15 PM
BJJkilla
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

james toney is still looking for work. cmon dana, just resign toney and have him fight gracie.
3/29/11 2:15 PM
Jack Skellington
708 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Royce has no business fighting in the UFC these days
3/29/11 2:47 PM
Trust
583 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd love to see Royce involved in the UFC, just not as a fighter.  He is and always will be *THE* Ultimate Fighter, but it would be more interesting to see him as a coach, or a commentator, or something.  Don't be an anchor to the past, be a motor to the future. 
3/29/11 2:47 PM
jujitsujamo
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am a huge Royce fan and have been fortunate enough to meet him and train with him. That being said, it's a young mans sport. As much as I would like to see him have a retirement match on a UFC card and have a good showing - I don't think it's in the cards. I think the UFC should do something for him - like maybe an exhibition grappling match especially if they have a fan expo. That would be the perfect stage for him. Phone Post
3/29/11 3:26 PM
KC007

Gracie vs Crop Cop! Loser leaves town. Phone Post
3/29/11 3:34 PM
JesusBonesChrist

CLINTK9 - 
Ron Simpson - "I really want Sak to retire gracefully"

I would like to see Royce retire gracefully as well.

and maybe Royce wants to retire to, but would like one final retirement fight, at the big return of UFC Brazil!

You're really gobbling some Royce balls arent you.
3/29/11 3:48 PM
Wasa-B
286 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone got the Wallid Gracie Academy Limo Drive-by clip?
3/29/11 3:52 PM
MuchRespec'
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Royce v Wallid! WTF not? Who else are you gonna put Royce in the ring with? Honestly who?
3/29/11 3:58 PM
JimmersonzGlove
472 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Would he have to get cleared by the CSAC since he pissed positive for roids in his last fight? Or would Fertitta employee Armando Garcia make sure that gets taken care of?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.