UnderGround Forums

JKD UnderGround >> Location Advice

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

3/29/11 3:03 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
markijkd
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hi All,

I have lived in SEA now for 10 years... I am thinking of moving back to the USA and opening an MMA Gym. Of course JKD would be a part of the curriculum... Here are some places I am looking at... Which would you choose and why? Any other good ideas?

Grand Rapids, MI.
Corpus Christi, TX
L.A. CA.
Montery, CA.
Ft. Lauder Dale, FL.

Thank You
Mark
3/29/11 2:22 PM
Marc1000

Edited: 03/29/11 2:31 PM
L.A.- Because I live there and would love to train with you and enroll my kids.

Seriously, I would check the census bureau's web site and type in zip codes of areas that you are considering (typing in the city isn't as useful since large cities like Los Angeles combine both high and low income areas. Sherman Oaks is much different than South LA). This will help you gather information about income in the area. It will also provide information about how many families have children, age ranges, etc.

Of course I would also conduct some searches of nearby businesses to make sure that the area wasn't oversaturated with MMA gyms. However, you might want an area with some sort of a martial arts scene so you can get excellent assistant instructors with MMA/Muay Thai/wrestling or BJJ backgrounds.

Also, because of the growing number of MMA gyms you will need to distinguish yours from the rest. For example, Burton's MMA for the street is a great example of someone showing how their MMA training is different from the other MMA schools. Rodney King's Crazy Monkey Defense emphasizes that the training is geared toward the average guy and has an anti-meathead philosophy. The JKD angle could help you differentiate your gyms from others. This advice seems obvious, but many MMA gyms fail to differentiate themselves from competitors. Many of the "mma gyms" near my house are really Tae Kwon Do, Hapikido, Shotokan or Kenpo schools that rebranded themselves as MMA gyms, but the instructors lack a strong background in BJJ, wrestling, boxing or Muay Thai...but that's another rant. For business purposes it's good to emphasize that the training will be safe (as much as possible) and free of tough guys with ego issues. It's great to have a competition team if that's something that interests you, but it might be tough to pay the bills without children's programs and weekend warriors.

Besides he business angle, which area would you be happiest in? Where do you have the most friends and family? Would you like the winters in Grand Rapids?

I hope this helps,

Marc
3/29/11 11:03 PM
markijkd

Marc,

Thank you for the advice! I am looking for a business partner and/or investors if anyone is interested!

Thank You
Mark

mark@ijkd.com
www.ijkd.com

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.