UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> Breaking question

3/29/11 3:17 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jrrrrr
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who here still breaks? Do many schools still require breaking? Where do you buy breaking materials?

I'm practicing for a test and will be doing multiple patio blocks - no spacers, standard 2 inch thick patio blocks.
I broke 2 old ones a fiend had a week ago for practice. It seems that home depot and lowes have patio blocks that are a mother-F to break.
Any insights, comments?
3/29/11 4:24 PM
Old Red Belt
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have always liked breaking simply because its fun. It has several uses in Karate training. The original Tamawhashri is a form of focus and target practice for perfect technique. It is Kata done with full power. Of course there are many spectacular breaks and a few fake breaks but mostly it should be reasoned that it is not for power, but for perfection of techniques. I do know breaks that are applicable to striking the human body and others that are cool to do but make little sense. A 1X12 pine board is a good target and they make re-breakable boards similar to them. After that it is up to the imagination of the breaker. Just don't get stupid and have fun, because sometime boards and bricks do hit back if you don't do it right.
3/29/11 7:58 PM
jrrrrr
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Totally agree,
Where do you get your patio blocks?
3/29/11 9:14 PM
cdueck
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Breaking is still a pretty major part of grading in Kyokushin here in Canada.
3/30/11 7:37 AM
Old Red Belt
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kyokushinkia is the master breaking style thanks to Mas Oyama. A student of both Funakoshi and Yamaguchi, Oyama insisted on full power practice, tamawashri (test by breaking). If any style ever developed the ikenhisatsu (kill with one strike) it would have been Kyokushinkia. In order to do this, a perfect technique is in order, anything less than perfect is just plain wrong, and the desired effect will not happen. Something else to consider is the execution of a perfect technique may not guarantee success either. The defence against such blows is not only be able to block and parry, but also to condition ones body to be hardened in order to survive such a blow.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.