UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Jorge Rivera, Ranger Up CEO talk Michael Bisping

3/29/11 7:58 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kliquid
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/29/11 8:05 PM

This is the article I wrote after interviewing Ranger Up CEO Nick Palmisciano and Jorge Rivera regarding the Michael Bisping fight. I hope everyone enjoys it!

MMA Interview: UFC's Jorge Rivera and Nick Palmisciano Talk Michael Bisping

The UFC 127 fight between Jorge Rivera and Michael Bisping went a lot further than anyone expected. It all started with a few funny YouTube videos, but things quickly escalated prior to and during the fight itself.

I recently had the opportunity to speak with two of the men who helped create the videos that started the controversy, Ranger Up CEO Nick Palmisciano, and Jorge Rivera himself.

If you are still in the dark on the videos that were created by Ranger Up and Rivera to help promote the fight, you can view them by checking out the Ranger Up YouTube Channel.

Jorge Rivera decided that Michael Bisping would make a great opponent for him while sitting in Germany at UFC 122. His fight against Alessio Sakara had just been canceled due to Sakara coming down with flu-like symptoms.

“We were all bummed about it, and Jorge was sitting there and he just kind of goes, ‘I want to fight Bisping’,“ Ranger Up CEO Nick Palmisciano recalled. “He talked to Joe Silva and Joe let him know that he didn’t think that Bisping was willing to take that fight, but he’d pitch it to him.”

Everyone agreed that it was unlikely that the overseas star would want to fight someone who didn’t quite have the same name recognition. So right then and there, they decided to make sure Bisping would take the fight.

“Jorge decided he was going to make sure Bisping took that fight,” Palmisciano explained. “[He] Talked a little bit of crap, which is definitely not who Jorge tends to be, but he wanted to make sure Bisping would take the fight.”

“He would’ve looked for a bigger opponent and I knew that if I’d talk a little smack, that he’d jump at it,” Rivera added.

The plan went into effect immediately, with the group sitting around and brainstorming ideas.

“I have been doing these sorts of things for a long time, as far back as like high school wrestling. I have an affinity for this kind of stuff,” Nick continued, “the more ridiculous, the better.”

“Jorge is hilarious and he has tons of ideas. Matt Phinney, his boxing coach, is an awesome dude and he’s got lots of ideas,” he continued, “We bring in Lex McMahon and Kelly Crigger, and we just brainstorm.”

Jorge Rivera and Michael Bisping hadn’t interacted much prior to their fight and there really wasn’t personal animosity between the two.

“In all honesty, we were cool,” Jorge laughed. “I really didn’t have a beef with this guy. I knew it was going rile people up. I knew it was going to rile up his fans, I knew it was going to rile up people that hated him.”

But Palmisciano recalled Rivera talking about an incident he witnessed from Bisping following another one of his fights.

“Bisping came back into the locker room and made a statement to his coaches and Jorge was there,” Palmisciano relayed. “He said he just ‘Threw away the game plan for the first two minutes because he was just so aggravated with the guy.’ Jorge retained that.”

“We went back and watched every single interview that we could find with Michael Bisping and while we were watching them, we had a few different psychological assessment tools. We just checked off on different aspects of human personality. Things that we thought bothered him.”

The videos were over-the-top and even ridiculous at times, but they were very specifically targeted to get a reaction out of their opponent, Michael Bisping.

“The first one that was kind of just based on statistics. With the cats, the pink gloves. We knew that was going to drive him nuts, and it did,” Palmisciano explained. “The second one, which was our favorite to do, was the interview sequence where we did it up like a UFC interview. It was just incredibly fun to make. We had like four hours of footage on that and ultimately, it went to the cut we had, but we could have made it like an extended movie.”

“We busted his balls, but it was good natured,” he added. “In the third video, it’s a Monty Python parody! You know, that’s just funny! It’s just something that we wanted to do.”

But it was at that point that they started to get a real reaction from their target.

Read the entire article 
3/29/11 8:02 PM
EvilMaster
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

EvilMasterReport.com
Amateur psychological manipulation 101 tactics. It was like watching children draw with crayons. It was entertaining though.
3/29/11 8:18 PM
nogidavid
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

least funny videos ever.
3/29/11 8:18 PM
nogidavid
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

least funny videos ever.
3/29/11 8:29 PM
Mc6pack

This camp and management are a bunch of tools, they should go manage a pop star or somet.
3/29/11 11:18 PM
Kliquid
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

EvilMaster - Amateur psychological manipulation 101 tactics. It was like watching children draw with crayons. It was entertaining though.

You don't think Phinney was right to yell at Bisping for a blatantly cheap knee?
3/30/11 4:05 AM
Team GDP
392 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

good stuff man.
3/30/11 4:15 AM
KwikTempah

and it ended with Rivera getting the living shit kicked out of him and Phinney getting spat on LOL ,time well spent , CONGRATS ....YOU GUYS NAILED IT !!! Phone Post
3/30/11 4:24 AM
The Count
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

think his so called manager should focus on his next fight or he'll lose that one too, or go manage vanilla ice or something.
3/30/11 4:26 AM
Team GDP
392 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

oh shit ^
3/30/11 4:29 AM
KwikTempah

BISPING !!! what do you make of this long campaign they drew up just try and get under your skin ? "hours of footage" WTF ??? Phone Post
3/30/11 4:31 AM
Team GDP

i think the real question is will bisping be purchasing a meatbiscuit t shirt.
3/30/11 4:47 AM
Smith1234
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bisping is correct
3/30/11 5:08 AM
TheWelshLurker
404 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT for The Count Phone Post
3/30/11 6:11 AM
purist
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

“We sold a ton of that shirt to the U.K. and we will be donating several thousand dollars to Help for Heroes, which is a U.K.-based charity, similar to Soldier’s Angels in the U.S. or the Wounded Warrior Project,” Nick said.

Awesome, fairplay to them for that.
3/30/11 6:27 AM
OzLoco
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FINALLY! The Count has come BACK....home.

Signal flares deployed for Jupes!

* runs towards town*

Jupes! JUPES! 
3/30/11 6:31 AM
Devlyn

lol@Rivera's camp bragging about that shit. They got the fight they wanted, their fighter got the shit kicked out of him and his career is as good as over.

Well played guys.
3/30/11 6:38 AM
Kanye loves fishdicks
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice one Mike Phone Post
3/30/11 6:54 AM
Kirik
1627 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, President
 ttt
3/30/11 7:08 AM
Winnson

Toasting in epic bread!
3/30/11 7:09 AM
Humphrey

Edited: 03/30/11 7:09 AM
Whatever you want to say, they got exactly what they wanted, and Bisping's lack of mental restraint cost him. He may have won the fight, but he lost a shitload of money, even more respect from the fans and actually lost a considerable amount of fans themselves.

Not to mention the fight is tainted anyway, because he blatantly cheated.

But yeah, THEIR antics are the story, right?
3/30/11 7:42 AM
Andymac86

It wasn't the right way to handle it but i was glad comeuppance was served ...fuck them not gonna feel bad when they beg for it
3/30/11 8:02 AM
Bingo`d by the UKTT

Arecsa - 
Bingo`d by the UKTT - Biggest embarrasment to the sport that there is.  Deplorable behaviour, completely unsportsman like and glaringly obvious mental weakness.

Paul Daley?
touche'

3/30/11 8:11 AM
Team GDP

I don' think harlem really hates bisping. I think he hates UKTT and that leads him to hate bisping.
3/30/11 8:27 AM
Devlyn

^Fair enough, but he should know better than to say a fighter is the 'biggest embarrassment to the sport' etc. when said fighter just posted on the thread. Supposed to be keeping that kind of behavior in check, not adding to the problem.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.