UnderGround Forums

Kickboxing UnderGround >> Sparring sanshou/sanda + knees?

3/30/11 7:54 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
IronMonkey
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hi all,

How would you guys spar for a sanshou/sanda match with knees to the head allowed? I started teaching a small class for a short while and have had a few students competing but this will be first time I have a student competing in sanshou/sanda + knees.

I'm actually from a sanshou background originally before getting into muay thai but we never had knees in sanshou when I competed. Always thought it's a bit risky mixing up knees with throws/ takedowns because of the potential of a knee to the face accidentally against someone attempting to do a takedown.

What do you guys think? Especially interested Bullinachinashop or Lkfmdc's views since you guys have strong sanshou backgrounds?
3/31/11 11:32 AM
Bull_in_chinashop
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The same way you spar in muay thai and MMA where knees are allowed - knee the body, knee the legs, but don't knee the head but you "show intent" but pull the knee instead of hitting him with it, letting him know he was open.

Sanshou is closer to MMA with takedowns involved and as someone who spars like this all the time, I can tell you that there will be the occasional knee to the head, it happens, just try to focus on skill and timing and hopefully it won't be a hard shot. (and it serves as a good lesson to the wrestler about keeping his hands up)
3/31/11 8:04 PM
IronMonkey
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the advice Bull_inchinashop.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.