UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> MMA's first great movie?

3/30/11 9:50 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

The first thing that pops into someone’s head when thinking of Lynchburg, Virginia may be the city’s beautiful surroundings, the numerous collegiate institutions located there, or perhaps even nothing at all. But it is safe to say that mixed martial arts is probably not very high on that list.

Frazer, a director and writer, has embarked on a unique journey to bring MMA to the silver screen with “The Bam Theory.” And Lynchburg has served as the launching pad.

“In October of 2009, after the Machida-Shogun pay-per-view, I was at Buffalo Wild Wings watching it in Lynchburg. You know, drinking some beers, watching the fights, enjoying the local fight camaraderie,” Frazer told HeavyMMA.com. “I went home that night and I really started to put the pieces together. I started getting all of these ideas and decided, ‘You know what? There’s so many small towns here in America, and every single person who gets involved in MMA, most of them are from smaller towns before they graduate to the bigger stage.’

“I figured, why don’t I just do it here? It’s got a great MMA scene, we’ve got six or seven fight gyms, and there is a local promotion here and there are a few in the area. I decided that this should be the setting, it should be based off the local fight culture.”

The story surrounds the life struggles of Bam (played by real-life mixed martial artist Matt Coleman), as he battles through such adversity as his father’s suicide and a falling out with the love of his life. The tragic happenings continue to come in between the protagonist and his dream of rising to the elite level of the sport of MMA, making this story bigger than simply MMA.

Rather, it involves struggles that happen to real people on a daily basis throughout the United States of America.

read entire article...

official movie site...

3/30/11 9:54 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
forrestfan
339 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

maybe you missed Bloodsport
3/30/11 10:01 AM
crazydave
201 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ that
3/30/11 10:06 AM
Chris Power
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sadly, I don't think 'MMA' and 'great movie' are likely to ever belong in the same sentence together.

MMA culture simply doesn't translate well to screen. The sport is so deeply entrenched in the Tapout, every kid who 'tranes UFC' is a badass mentality that MMA movies always end up trying to either seem like that's ALL there is, or it goes completely reactionary and tries to paint it as exclusively a beautiful, budo-laced sport full of gentlemen and scholars. The end result is both sides feel short-changed and it doesn't end up fully reaching either.

Good luck though!
3/30/11 10:07 AM
romophobia
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/30/11 10:08 AM
He said "Great" Movie.

3/30/11 10:07 AM
RavenFighter
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

List the WORST MMA-related movies.

1. Redbelt (if we can categorize it as MMA-related)
3/30/11 10:08 AM
Jei
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Next time rocky should do some Sprawl training and hit the octagon. Phone Post
3/30/11 10:10 AM
epwar
613 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The story surrounds the life struggles of Bam (played by real-life mixed martial artist Matt Coleman), as he battles through such adversity as his father's suicide and a falling out with the love of his life. The tragic happenings continue to come in between the protagonist and his dream of rising to the elite level of the sport of MMA, making this story bigger than simply MMA.

The film better have a scene of him logging onto the OG to tell his personal tragedies and everyone calling him a troll.
3/30/11 10:10 AM
RavenFighter

Creed with 3 months of sprawl training would destroy Velasquez.
3/30/11 10:11 AM
PatrickFreitas
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RavenFighter - List the WORST MMA-related movies.

1. all of them.
3/30/11 10:42 AM
HokieFighter

Hopefully this movie does well, Matt Coleman is a great guy. I met about a year ago at seminar that was being conducted at the place he trains at in Lynchburg, Team RAM (Jamie Ridgeway-Blackbelt) a Pedro Sauer Association school. He is a very humble guy and knowledgeable of the sport. I believe that if this movie does make it to a more mainstream following, he has the charisma to shine a good light on our sport. Good luck.
3/30/11 10:47 AM
daglord
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PatrickFreitas - 
RavenFighter - List the WORST MMA-related movies.

1. all of them.

anything 'presented by tapout'.
3/30/11 11:30 AM
JimmersonzGlove
526 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

THEY LIVE had the best NHB fight.
3/30/11 12:12 PM
My2cents
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Champions! = GOAT MMA movie. Phone Post
3/30/11 12:29 PM
Brian Rule
281 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Smashing Machine = MMA's first great movie, imo
3/30/11 12:31 PM
1 2 3 ACE
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great documentaries, terrible movies.

That's just the way it is. I've only seen Never Back Down and Redbelt, and they were enough to make me never want to see an MMA film again. Even Cyborg Soldier starring Rich 'Ace' Franklin was better.
3/30/11 12:59 PM
herculestex1

^^ouch!!
3/30/11 1:03 PM
Zedlepln
226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JimmersonzGlove -  THEY LIVE had the best NHB fight.
Sadly, that fight has lost something over time. When it occurred, it *was* awesome. Best evah.
3/30/11 1:33 PM
Ebe5

Never back down was a really good movie but was focused more or street fighting then actual sanctioned mma fights, with the right vision I think an mma movie would do great, but I don't think this is it, only one fight movie comes out a year. Look at the Fighter, was a great movie, but took years to get approval to be able to release world wide. Phone Post
3/30/11 1:38 PM
Schrute Boxe
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RavenFighter - Creed with 3 months of sprawl training would destroy Velasquez.

3/30/11 1:50 PM
epwar
613 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/30/11 1:50 PM
Ken Shamrock already did the first great MMA movie! 
3/30/11 3:10 PM
RavenFighter

"Never back down was a really good movie ..."

*vomits*
3/30/11 3:32 PM
Roger AK47

Brazilian Brawl.
3/30/11 3:35 PM
Winnson

Roger AK47 - Brazilian Brawl.
There was so much awesome in that movie I bought the DVD!  Acting, storyline, believable explosions, more than one room for every scene inside (except with a different tablecloth), the trailer park guy from Trailer Park Boys...

That movie had it all!
3/30/11 3:41 PM
JimmersonzGlove
526 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haha I have Brazillian Brawl on DVD too.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.