UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Ricardo Almeida Retires

3/31/11 12:22 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TheGARV
398 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/31/11 11:04 AM
MMAHQ, Click for Sale Price

Ricardo says he's retiring from MMA.  He was always fun to watch, and here's hoping he finds continued success running his school and training others.

Link to article

3/31/11 12:23 AM
madmav
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

april... early fools???
3/31/11 12:25 AM
TheGARV
398 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAHQ, Click for Sale Price
 No.  He wrote it on FB:
Pro Fighting Chapter Comes to a Close, but the Book is Still Being written. Back in 2008 I decided to return to MMA. Since then I have had the privilege of fighting eight times in the UFC. As a competitor I can think of no bigger thrill than to stand in the center of the octagon with my hands raised.

During these almost four years it has been a personal struggle to find balance between my fighting career, caring for my son who was diagnosed with autism soon after I signed a six-fight deal with the UFC, teaching at my growing Jiu Jitsu Academy and the family duties we all have.

MMA is a great sport but also physically and mentally unforgiving. It is a dangerous task to step in the octagon, specially if your focus is not at 100%.

After much deliberation since my fight at UFC 128 I have decided to step away from the sport as a fighter.

I will continue to fully support the UFC as a coach and of course as a big fan. I would like to thank Lorenzo Fertitta and Dana White for their leadership and vision which brought the sport to new heights. I would also like to thank Joe Silva for giving me the opportunity to compete among the best martial artists in the world.

Renzo Gracie, Mark Henry, Frankie Edgar and all my teammates who I could not have gone through this challenge without.

Finally I would like to thank my wife, children and family as well as my students. You will have my integral dedication from here on.

Lastly the fans who make MMA the greatest sport there is.

Ricardo Almeida.

3/31/11 12:30 AM
Crooklyn
822 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TapouT Radio, Redneck=Reality
Damn. That kinda sucks. Still lots of fights for him.
3/31/11 12:33 AM
nofatchicks
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What!?!?! No Marquardt rematch??? I hold Joe Silva responsible.
3/31/11 12:40 AM
ShanTheWoMan
928 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn. Good for him though.
3/31/11 12:42 AM
frontrowbrian

TheGARV -  No.  He wrote it on FB:

Renzo Gracie, Mark Henry, Frankie Edgar and all my teammates who I could not have gone through this challenge without.

Ricardo Almeida.

I didn't know he was friends with Mark Henry

3/31/11 12:43 AM
Pure
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One of the best guys in the entire sport, and out of it for that matter.

3/31/11 12:44 AM
Vicmister
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Has been one of my favorites since he fought Shoji.

Much respect.
3/31/11 12:48 AM
junkyarddogg24

A hardy WELL DONE for Cachorrao! A tremendous career especially before his first retirement as he was a top flight 185 contender. World class grappler and former King of Pancrase. Congrats on all your future endeavors Big Dog. Phone Post
3/31/11 12:48 AM
dirtymfmoney

Man having an autistic son myself you guys have no idea how much of a struggle it is hats off for him for making that decision family first... TTT Phone Post
3/31/11 12:50 AM
KahL
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is a good thing for him. He actually doesn't NEED MMA, as his school keeps him more than comfortable.
Great decision on his part and I support him on it :)
3/31/11 12:53 AM
PwntiusPilate

Dude is a professional and still very competitive. Good luck.
3/31/11 1:13 AM
NorthFromHere
323 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Almeida had a great career in MMA and probably will be even better as a coach. All the best for this classy guy!
3/31/11 1:22 AM
GetJimiPosterBoyInTheUFC!
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good for him that he's putting other priorities first in his life. Even though I was rooting for Pyle, it's pretty cool that I got to see what was his(and potentially Mirko's) last UFC/MMA fights live at 128. Wish him the best in everything that he does from here on.
3/31/11 2:53 AM
VinCenzo
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A true martial artist. Always bowed and respected opponents. No lame trash talk or hype machine. It was a successful comeback Phone Post
3/31/11 3:14 AM
sgotwalks
1682 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow, that was really well written. If he wrote his little farewell message himself I am totally impressed. Always liked Ricardo. All the best!!!
3/31/11 4:03 AM
gaycuckold

I always thought he was fun to watch, and he went on a few really good runs. I bet he can make a small fortune doing seminars and teaching BJJ, so it's good he's retiring before it's too late.
3/31/11 4:10 AM
Ray Elbe
234 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A sad day for the fans...He was my 'first favorite'...wish him luck in the future Phone Post
3/31/11 4:24 AM
Onnie804yamsaki

TTT for ricardo! I hated when people talked shit on him after he lost to hughes. People thought he was a lot younger than he really is. WAR ALMEIDA IN LIFE
3/31/11 4:29 AM
brahmabull81
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Always liked him. Many memories with him. Like Renzo kicking Marquardt in the face after their fight. And that flipping guillotine thing he landed on his return fight to the UFC. His story about his son is inspiring and im glad hes got a very happy life to lead.
3/31/11 5:59 AM
AmericanPsychoMMA

Props to Ricardo. His BJJ school is one of the best in Jersey. Phone Post
3/31/11 7:03 AM
AlmeidaBJJ

DSaint -  BTW A lot of people don't know this but Mark Henry was Ricardo's strength and conditioning coach.

Actually Mark Henry is Ricardo's Boxing coach and has been in his corner since 2009.
3/31/11 8:07 AM
Kanye loves fishdicks

Good luck to Ricardo, if it wasn't for his first retirement I think he could of been a true contender. Phone Post
3/31/11 8:08 AM
EBM
218 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A great fighter. This isn't the first time Ricardo retired - so hoepfully we'll see another comeback down the road.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.