UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> The truth about fighting friends

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

3/31/11 2:05 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1395 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

If UFC president Dana White has said it once, he's said it a thousand times: MMA is not a team sport.

It's a sport that's all about individual success and failure. It's about two men locked in a violent struggle for money and status, and there's not enough of either to go around.

This, of course, is the inexorable logic of the fight promoter, who stands to profit handsomely if he can convince friends, teammates, and training partners to forego all other loyalties and duke it out in the cage. But then, the promoter doesn't have to actually get in there and knock his best friend unconscious.

As UFC heavyweight Brendan Schaub put it, "This isn't basketball. It's not like Magic [Johnson] and [Larry] Bird playing each other and being all buddy-buddy. Somebody's getting f-cked up."

read entire article...

3/31/11 2:09 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Daverr
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bottom line is most fighters havnt been friends like as kids...

I can def see that if your a friend with someone like for 10-15-20 years.. that would be fucking weird..

but these guys who like meet 5 months ago rashad/jones is a joke, they have no reason not to fight
3/31/11 2:24 PM
MarkRobinson
1512 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I dont think the issue is as easily put to bed as your logic suggest, Daverr.

Another issue is that they have trained with each other to the point that they know each others game plans as well. Meaning they know each others weaknesses.

While i dont typically support fighters not wanting to fight each other, i do see how &why the choice is made.
Personally, I wouldnt want to fight my best friend but i would fight a good friend. Admittedly i wouldnt let completely loose on him unless i felt he was trying to do so.

3/31/11 2:28 PM
Daverr

exactly, I wouldnt be able to hit my best friend like I could hit an enemy..

just seems pretty normal to me
3/31/11 2:28 PM
KneeToFaceKo

If you love to fight, it makes no difference. If you are in competition,  friend or not, somebody is getting an asswhipping.  Alpha's gonna alpha.
3/31/11 2:29 PM
PassnSmash

^^correct^^^ Phone Post
3/31/11 2:36 PM
Nitecrawler
2659 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KneeToFaceKo - If you love to fight, it makes no difference. If you are in competition,  friend or not, somebody is getting an asswhipping.  Alpha's gonna alpha.

This.

We can shake hands before the bell and after the bell but the space in between I am goign to try to fuck you up. Couldn't see this getting in the way of a friendship unless you blatantly cheat during the fight or start low-blowing the dude every round.

Matter of fact I would be more pissed if after the fight I found out the dude took it easy on me because we were friends. If he was a true friend he would want to see me get to the top without taking short cuts, even if that includes hurting me in the short run.
3/31/11 2:37 PM
Daverr

KneeToFaceKo - If you love to fight, it makes no difference. If you are in competition,  friend or not, somebody is getting an asswhipping.  Alpha's gonna alpha.

wrong,

do you have a friend you have had since you were 4?

it would be like fucking up your brother... which of course we do, but in a fight you have to have that killer instinct, like that guy just killed your family..

and i wouldnt be able to hit a friend the same way, and if i did, and i fucking ruined his career or life in some way, that woouldnt be cool
3/31/11 2:39 PM
K-Dub-"T"

And getting your friend and training partner cut from the UFC is no big deal right?
3/31/11 2:41 PM
KneeToFaceKo

Daverr - 

wrong,

do you have a friend you have had since you were 4?

it would be like fucking up your brother... which of course we do, but in a fight you have to have that killer instinct, like that guy just killed your family..

and i wouldnt be able to hit a friend the same way, and if i did, and i fucking ruined his career or life in some way, that woouldnt be cool
lol@you.

3/31/11 2:42 PM
irishrottie
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

its funny how all these couch commentators are like wtf is wrong with you fight. listen to what the pros are saying. there is a reason so many of them dont want to do it.
3/31/11 2:43 PM
Rafael135
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It sucks fighting your friends. But it's their jobs and both of them have one goal, to be the UFC champion. Phone Post
3/31/11 2:43 PM
forrestfan
393 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Forum members and Dana love to say how easy it is, but it almost never happens and almost no high level fighters support it.

Dana has talked about it for years - why haven't Fitch and Koscheck fought? it's only happening with Bones and Rashad because they had a falling out.
3/31/11 2:44 PM
Daverr

irishrottie - its funny how all these couch commentators are like wtf is wrong with you fight. listen to what the pros are saying. there is a reason so many of them dont want to do it.

exactly..

im beginning to think none of you guys have real close friends...

which i guess is possible
3/31/11 2:50 PM
KneeToFaceKo

Daverr - 
irishrottie - its funny how all these couch commentators are like wtf is wrong with you fight. listen to what the pros are saying. there is a reason so many of them dont want to do it.

exactly..

Or maybe some of my lifelong friends might not like FIGHTING  so there is no chance we would be in a match.

3/31/11 2:54 PM
forrestfan
393 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So list some great examples of teammates fighting.
3/31/11 2:57 PM
KneeToFaceKo

forrestfan - 

Huh?

3/31/11 2:58 PM
BigWilliam
375 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can see guys coming up the ranks wanting to avoid each other when they are training partners or friends. But when the title is involved I think you need to evaluate what you are doing in the sport. If you are in it to be the number one guy you have to put everything else aside.
3/31/11 3:03 PM
forrestfan

KneeToFaceKo - 
forrestfan - 

Huh?

Was that hard to understand? You are saying it makes no difference and fighters should just fight, so list some examples of it happening.
3/31/11 3:06 PM
romophobia
274 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This was a great piece.
I like Ben Fowlkes, he is a good writer.
3/31/11 3:08 PM
TheMeatyLegend
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you are afraid of other people knowing your weaknesses, then train with people you are not going to have to potentially fight against. Or, just fucking fight all comers.
3/31/11 3:10 PM
KneeToFaceKo

forrestfan - 
KneeToFaceKo - 
forrestfan - 

Huh?

Was that hard to understand? You are saying it makes no difference and fighters should just fight, so list some examples of it happening.

Yes, I am saying it makes no difference to me. Engrish Motherfucker..............Do you understand it?
3/31/11 3:22 PM
Evilzpet

Daverr - 

exactly..

Why does it have to just be about friends fighting frieds? Is it not fair to factor in that this is for a world title? Think about it; Nobody gives a shit about Overeem vs. Overeem right? Or Tom Lawlor vs Seth Petruzelli?
These guys are not life long pals from elementary school; they just met a year ago. Their passion for MMA is the only reason they even know eachother. Not everything is black and white. Factor in what's truly important here and the belt should come first and foremost. Every man needs to do whats best for his career even if the road to success isn't all roses and lollipops. It's not like the more successful of the two will mail the other any checks when he isn't getting paid.
3/31/11 3:24 PM
Evilzpet

^Correction: by "these guys" I am referring to Jones and Evans, not the others.
Cheers.
3/31/11 3:28 PM
Daverr

i agree that jones and hashad should fight, cause they have been friends for like 1 year or less etc and just met through fighting

im saying if you have a freind you grew up with for like 20 years... thats a fuck of a lot different..

I dont see how anyone could dispute that

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.