UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Roufusport voted America's Best MMA Gym

3/31/11 4:19 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1261 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

After a grueling month of tournament play, Roufusport has defeated Cesar Gracie in the finals to claim the crown of America's Top MMA Gym, as voted on by you, the fans.

Check out the final Top MMA Gyms bracket above to see who Roufusport had to get through to win the title, and to get a full breakdown of all the other fallen contenders.

Gym: Roufusport
Main location: Milwaukee, Wisc.
Founded: 2006
Notable fighters: Anthony Pettis, Pat Barry, Alan Belcher, Erik Koch, Eric Schafer.
Notable coaches: Jeff "Duke" Roufus, Pat Barry, Scott Cushman.

Trending: Roufusport enjoyed its best year ever in 2010 with Pettis, Koch and Downes making strides in WEC. Pat Barry lost a big fight to Mirko Cro Cop, but recently rebounded against Joey Beltran at Fight for the Troops 2. Alan Belcher is expected to make his return to the UFC after a serious eye injury this year. "The Talent" did defeat Patrick Cote at UFC 113.

Notes: Roufus is a four-time pro kickboxing champion ... his brother Rick also competed in boxing, kickboxing and MMA ... the gym gained a lot of notoriety after Pettis landed the "Showtime Kick" against Ben Henderson at WEC 53, which Pettis learned from Roufus ... the gym was also featured on MTV's "World of Jenks."

THE ELIMINATED

Cesar Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy
Founded: 1990
Main location: Pleasant Hill, California
Notable fighters: Nick Diaz, Jake Shields, Gilbert Melendez, Nate Diaz, Daniel Roberts.
Notable coaches: Cesar Gracie, Caio Terra, Shields, Diaz, Richard Perez, Kirian Fitzgibbons, Dan Black.

Jackson's Mixed Martial Arts
Year: 1992
Notable fighters: Rashad Evans, Jon Jones, Nate Marquardt, Carlos Condit, Georges St-Pierre.
Notable coaches: Greg Jackson, Mike Winklejohn, Jonathan Chaimberg.

Renzo Gracie Academy
Main Location: New York City
Founded: 1997
Notable fighters: Renzo Gracie, Georges St-Pierre, Frankie Edgar, Ricardo Almeida, Roger Gracie.
Notable coaches: Renzo Gracie, John Danaher, Daniel Gracie, Igor Gracie, Gregor Gracie.
Note: There are three Renzo Gracie Academies and 32 affiliate schools around the world ...

American Kickboxing Academy
Main location: San Jose, California
Established: 1986
Notable fighters: Cain Velasquez, Jon Fitch, Josh Koscheck, Josh Thomson, Daniel Cormier.
Notable coaches: Javier Mendez, Bob Cook, Dave Camarillo, Ted Lucio.

American Top Team
Main location: Coconut Creek, Fla.
Established: 2003
Notable fighters: Thiago Alves, Thiago Silva, Mike Brown, "JZ" Cavalcante, Jorge Santiago.
Notable coaches: Ricardo Liborio, Howard Davis Jr., Chutiphat Runsgawang, Vitelmo Katel Kubis.
Notes: There are 32 main ATT locations ... Davis Jr. won a gold medal in boxing at the 1976 Summer Olympics ... Kimbo Slice no longer trains at ATT ... the gym was founded by Liborio with Dan Lambert after the Liborio left Brazilian Top Team.

Black House Team Nogueira
Founded: 2005
Main Location: San Diego
Notable fighters: Antonio Rodrigo Noguiera, Anderson Silva, Junior dos Santos, Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante.
Notable coaches: Nogueira brothers, Alexander Palma, Bernard Sfeir, Erin Beach, Vincent Parra.

Grudge Training Center
Founded: 2009
Main location: Wheat Ridge, Co.
Notable fighters: Shane Carwin, Rashad Evans, Nate Marquardt, Brendan Schaub, Duane "Bang" Ludwig.
Notable coaches: Trevor Wittman, Mike Van Arsdale, Alvin Robinson.

Nova Uniao
Main location: Rio de Janiero, Brazil
Founded: 1995
Notable fighters: Jose Aldo, Marlon Sandro, Renan Barao, Vitor Ribeiro, Wagnney Fabiano.
Notable coaches: Andre Pederneiras, Wendell Alexander, Leonardo Santos, Rodrigo "Feijao," Andre Marola.

Team Quest
Founded: 2000
Main location: Portland, Ore.
Notable fighters: Dan Henderson, Matt Lindland, Randy Couture, Chael Sonnen, Krzysztof Soszynski.
Notable coaches: Lindland, Henderson, Robert Follis, Heath Sims.
Notes: There are currently six locations in Oregon and California ... Couture is no longer a Team Quest member ...  ... Lindland won a silver medal in Greco-Roman wrestling at the 2000 Summer Olympics.

Read entire article...

3/31/11 4:22 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
romophobia
214 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT for the man!
3/31/11 4:32 PM
CapnsavemIsDead
791 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hmmmm... Phone Post
3/31/11 4:36 PM
BigWilliam
321 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That seems a little off.
3/31/11 4:40 PM
kindofawesome
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bullllllllllshiiiiiiittttt, I'm sorry I had to say it. Phone Post
3/31/11 4:40 PM
wpipes
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They're all good but if the we$t$ide was taken away from me here in little rock...I would be on a flight to Milwaukee. Hope to get to travel with Roli up there when he goes. Phone Post
3/31/11 6:10 PM
radiobaby
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Perhaps they asked their students to.. get out the vote.
3/31/11 6:36 PM
minotauro11
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol @ Ceasar Gracie beating Blackhouse and Aka. Phone Post
3/31/11 6:37 PM
minotauro11
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cesar* Phone Post
3/31/11 7:20 PM
Str4nger D4nger
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This does seem peculiar... perhaps we are still feeling the effects of the showtime kick. Phone Post
3/31/11 7:24 PM
CapnsavemIsDead
791 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ya.. I'm gonna call shenanigans. Phone Post
3/31/11 7:49 PM
Marco808

Congrats to Roufusport, but am I looking at the tourney bracket right? It looks like Cesar Gracie's gym was listed twice in the first round. 
3/31/11 7:55 PM
Fibonacci

Who the fuck decided the winners of this tournament team bracket? Roufusport, really? This is worse than that list of 100 “greatest” MMA fights of all-time that was posted last week.

I would without any hesistation take these ten MMA gyms/teams over Roufusport:

In no particular order:

-Xtreme Couture
-Black House
-AKA
-Jackson’s MMA
-Nova Uniao
-Chute Boxe
-Team Quest
-Caesar Gracie Team
-Tristar
-Grudge

Roufusport is a quality gym, but at this point, RS should not be anywhere near a top ten MMA gym list. TUF/WEC noob probably decided the winner of this bracket.
3/31/11 8:02 PM
Combat Corner
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Roufusport is where alot of the young new school talent is coming from. Expect to hear the name alot in the future. Don't get all the hate for Roufusport.
3/31/11 8:04 PM
kindofawesome

Yes, it's bull. Phone Post
3/31/11 8:06 PM
Fibonacci

Combat Corner - Roufusport is where alot of the young new school talent is coming from. Expect to hear the name alot in the future. Don't get all the hate for Roufusport.

RS is no McDojo and is a quality MMA gym that will certainly be growing in the future, but I don’t see how at this point in time you can rank RS in front of any other MMA gym in that bracket objectively.
3/31/11 8:15 PM
Combat Corner
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fibonacci, Click on my name and you will see why I think so. lol. Im kind of biased
3/31/11 8:23 PM
Fibonacci

Combat Corner - Fibonacci, Click on my name and you will see why I think so. lol. Im kind of biased

I see...Lol.
3/31/11 8:27 PM
Matt Phillips
831 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I went to Roufussport in Feb to check it out, its a great facility. There is a lot of talent there, be on the look out for Sergio Pettis, Anthony's little brother.
3/31/11 8:34 PM
Str4nger D4nger
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't doubt that it's a beastly facility nor do I doubt the quality of fighters and prospects. It's the fact that other gyms have multiple champs and top contenders in their ranks that are already established. That's what many are calling bullpuckey on. Phone Post
3/31/11 8:37 PM
Tractor
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

its a great gym. it would be my first choice if i was high level
3/31/11 8:39 PM
Matt Phillips
831 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What Duke charges to train there is an absolute steal. I almost couldn't believe it when I saw the price list.
3/31/11 9:02 PM
Hypnos
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No disrespect to Roufusport, but who voted for this? Phone Post
3/31/11 9:05 PM
Fibonacci

Matt Phillips - What Duke charges to train there is an absolute steal. I almost couldn't believe it when I saw the price list.

What's the price list? I didn't see any details listed on the RS website.
3/31/11 9:05 PM
ABE FROMAN

What was the voting criteria and who voted?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.