UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> Check Out CamelBak Water Bottles...

3/31/11 11:09 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LakerGirl
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have owned a ton of water bottles. Got into buying them in the late 90's to be more Eco. I started on Nalgene, it was the rage, then switched to SIGG. Well my 3 year old SIGG was getting pretty beat, lots of dings and dents, which I dont mind, it adds character. However, the enamel was chipping away at the top and I became worried about aluminum getting into my water so I started to shop for a replacement. I was looking for another SIGG but I came across the CamelBak. Now I already own 2 CamelBak pouch systems. I like them, especially my new backpack. It is an awesome 3-5 day pack that can carry 100oz of H2O in its bladder system. I also have a 4 qt simple system for day hikes. I can stash a couple triangle bandages and a multitool inside with the bladder. I can also stash a couple beers in the bladder and fill it with ice and water so I have some cold brews on the way.

So I bought the bottle for $11 today. I will list the things I like and also how they compare to SIGG and Nalgene.

1. BPA free tough plastic construction. (Just like Nalgene, it wont dent)
2. Rugged Biner Clip (Like SIGG, only its bigger and flexible, also unlike SIGG you dont have to twist the top off every time you want a sip like SIGGs biner top)
3. The top screws into threads on the outside of the bottle, not the inside. (Like Nalgene, my SIGG cap would get real funky and some of that funk could contact my water)
4. Clear (However you can get a really dark one) (Like Nalgene, thats cool because I love making sun tea, especially in the field when coffee is more difficult to make. Just water and a couple tea bags and I can hang it off my pack or vehicle or tree and brew up some pep)
5. Medium Mouth (Its in between the Nalgene and the SIGG so its not some ridiculously girthy bottle like a Nalgene nor a narrow difficult to fill openeing like the SIGG, its perfectly in between).
6. Measurements on the outside (Like Nalgene you can see how much liquid you are putting in, say, if you're making sun tea and want 1 bag/8oz. of water).
7. Straw (A feature all its own. The straw folds into the lid and pops up. Its virtually spill proof, good around the computer:)
8. Replaceable mouth piece (Another feature all its own. If your rubber nipple is looking more rugged than rubber and it isnt cleaning up well you can just replace it without buying a whole new bottle).
9. MOLLE compatible pouch (It is an accessory but you can get a MOLLE compatible pouch if you dont want it boucing around on a biner but want quick access. It can go on my back pack, my LBV or my IBA. Pretty nice)

So, if you havnt heard of them and need a new bottle check them out. My wife just got a new SIGG yesterday but is going to return it and get the CamelBak. This is my new bottle, the price is right and it has the best of my other 2 favorites plus some other good features all its own.
4/1/11 10:30 AM
MoreThanUFC

I'm a Platty guy.  I have had two different Camels fail on me when hiking the AT.  Then there are people who swear by them and hate Plattys.  Too each their own.

But for bottles, I always go Nalgene.  You can boil water in them....
4/1/11 11:25 AM
LakerGirl

How dud they fail? Phone Post
4/1/11 4:15 PM
MoreThanUFC

One mouthpiece slipped off in my pack and wouldnt stay on.  Never had a platty do that.
The replacement that I got in Harper's Ferry, for free, deformed after having boiling water poured into it to make some ramen.  They are supposed to be able to handle boiling water without deforming.  Again, never had that problem with a platty. 

I have two 2L and 2 1L plattys currently.  I've had them all for around 4 years now, no issues at all.

4/1/11 10:00 PM
LakerGirl

The Plautus seem difficult to clean and the opening is narrow. However, they look like good space savers. A possible back up. Especially a big one. Phone Post
3/25/12 12:57 PM
Fudge Cake
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have always used the bottles, whether it's made by Nalgene or Camelbak. I always get the dishwasher safe ones since that's more likely to hold up to putting boiled water when I'm on my trips.

I have a crude system of attaching them to me or my pack so it's relatively easy to access. I'm just too worried about the bladder bags failing in some way on me.
3/28/12 1:15 PM
LeroyJ

I like the stainless steel bottles (kleen kanteen) better than the plastic bladders. You can wrap duct tape around them for a convenient place, and they can be used to boil water in a pinch.
3/30/12 10:15 AM
blushgirl412
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

4L

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.