UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> attn ridge - what denomination...

4/2/11 7:51 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
5pointer
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

or sect of christianity most resembles the early church in ur opinion. thanks.
4/2/11 8:57 PM
Ridgeback
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

5pointer - or sect of christianity most resembles the early church in ur opinion. thanks.

Eastern Orthodoxy, although it isn't a sect or denomination.  If you read the earliest Christian documents, including the epistles of Paul, the Gospels, and the early extra-canonical books, they all make the most sense in terms of Orthodox theology and worship.  Some things may appear diferent, and doctrine certainly develops over time, but that is the difference between a small tree and a full grown tree, not something radically different.  It was several years of study that led me to this conclusion and compelled me to join the EO Church, despite many inconveniences and a general lack of acceptance from our extended families.  I only mention that because I don't want it to come across as simply rooting for my home team.  I left the traditions I was raised in for EO.

4/2/11 9:13 PM
5pointer

Thank you. I appreciate it.
4/2/11 9:23 PM
Ridgeback
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just as an example, if you are interested, here is a description of early Christian worship from Justin Martyr written circa 150 CE.  

http://silouanthompson.net/2008/05/justin-martyr-describes-christian-worship-c150-ad/
4/2/11 9:48 PM
5pointer

very interested - checkin that out now. thanks!
4/3/11 10:34 AM
TheHawker

CE? Ridge, have you gone secular? ;)
4/3/11 3:32 PM
Grendelplata
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Check out "Pope Forgives the Jews" thread for more of Ridgeback's learned exhortations. Phone Post
4/4/11 4:10 PM
Ridgeback

TheHawker - CE? Ridge, have you gone secular? ;)

I've always been secular in the traditional sense of the word.  The last thing in the world that would interest me is being employed by the Church.
4/4/11 4:17 PM
Ridgeback

Grendelplata -  Check out "Pope Forgives the Jews" thread for more of Ridgeback's learned exhortations. Phone Post

My fans follow me everywhere these days.  Beat a man in an argument and he never forgets it.
4/4/11 5:55 PM
Grendelplata
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ Yeah, you didn't just repeat yourself ad nauseum and hurl petty insults. Phone Post
4/4/11 6:07 PM
Grendelplata

If you're half as witty and knowledgeable as you claim to be, why not respond to what I wrote in the thread? After all, you're the one who took it upon yourself to accuse me of "Internet learning," "using a website that contributes to my intellectual degradation," and best of all (I really love this one) "not using critical thinking." How about you stop projecting your insecurities onto others and actually take up the mantle that you pretend to? In any case, I know you're not going to. When you challenged me to provide academic sources for my ideas, I knew that as soon as I did so you'd be nowhere to be found. There's nothing quite like making blanket statements about academia and then turning tail. I bet you're next in line for tenure in whatever discipline you studied in uni. Phone Post
4/4/11 6:10 PM
Grendelplata

^ It's true that I spent too much time thinking about that stupid thread and the absolute filth that you sputtered in it, but that's your calling. It takes a jackass of the highest possible order to elicit the following that you've earned. Phone Post
4/4/11 7:31 PM
5pointer

Grend - whats the closest denomination to the early church in ur opinion?
4/4/11 8:33 PM
Ridgeback

You know you are reaching a new level when you start to get forum stalkers.  

For context, this guy claimed that the Bible was anti-semitic.  I pointed out the flaws in his argument and he has seethed with humiliation from the merciless beating he took ever since.  He had to cut out the eye that wouldn't look at my posts and is now trying to rise up with a full heart.

The religious haters on the OG represent some of the most angry individuals I have ever come across.  
4/4/11 8:46 PM
Grendelplata

^ anti-Judaic in parts, actually. "Critical reading is your friend etc etc" Phone Post
4/4/11 8:49 PM
Grendelplata

"He had to cut out the eye that wouldn't look at my posts and is now trying to rise up with a full heart." ~~ Once again eliding my entire argument with a straw man that he takes such pleasure in accusing others of employing. The insults I've posted here have been returned in kind after Ridge started the mudslinging competition. Nice bible quotation, though. Phone Post
4/4/11 8:53 PM
Grendelplata

"The religious haters on the OG represent some of the most angry individuals I have ever come across."~~It was the ad hominem bullshit that pissed me off, actually--not to mention that I took the time and effort to respond intelligently to your invective, only to have you blast out a bunch more repetitive, pointless shit and then disappear. Phone Post
4/4/11 8:57 PM
Grendelplata

"The religious haters on the OG represent some of the most angry individuals I have ever come across."~~I don't "hate" on any religion, but I do prefer to analyze it rather than assume that Christ is our savior and go from there. Here's a better quotation: "The Christian apologists on the OG represent some of the most pretentious, yet misinformed individuals I have ever come across." Phone Post
4/4/11 8:58 PM
Ridgeback

Is this the mark of an obsessed person or what?
4/4/11 9:00 PM
Grendelplata

"he has seethed with humiliation from the merciless beating he took ever since." Ridge thinks that using a couple $10 words means he has won an argument. Phone Post
4/4/11 9:04 PM
Grendelplata

So what does quoting a bunch of cryptic/vague bible phrases suggest about you? I suppose it means you're so well-versed in Christianity, and such. When someone else quotes the bible or Augustine, however, it's completely irrelevant. Phone Post
4/4/11 9:09 PM
Grendelplata

"Is this the mark of an obsessed person or what?" You attacked me for no good reason, spewed a bunch of crud, and then left. I'm only here to finish what you started. Phone Post
4/4/11 9:31 PM
Grendelplata

5pointer 1 hour ago Grend - whats the closest denomination to the early church in ur opinion? ~~~I'm not so knowledgable about Christianity after 1660, but TBH I think that some of the hardline fundamentalist sects in the US actually come closest. For one thing, the early Christians railed bitterly against their enemies, especially the Jews (who were an entirely separate group after Jesus claimed to be the Messiah, even if Christianity does incorporate a lot of Judaic scripture). Not only this, but several parts of the NT target the Jews specifically as being guilty of murdering Jesus, of being the spawn of the devil, etc, and so it's altogether unsurprising that the NT scriptures were used by the early Christians to vilify the Jews and to justify all manner of atrocity to be perpetrated against them (and vice-versa, also). So, because anti-Judaism was so firmly entrenched in early Christian thought, it seems to me that the denominations that also perform exegeses in this manner actually come the closest (one interesting thing about both groups is that their hatred for the Jews went/goes far beyond the usual politico-religious objectives--they literally define/identify themselves in terms of anti-Judaism). Phone Post
4/4/11 9:39 PM
Grendelplata

Also, it should be noted that thinking about stories from the bible as purely symbolic is a modern conception that "evolved" as a response to Darwin et al (pun intended). The early Christians thought of the Temptation etc as actual events that occurred in history, so the fundies that claim that Adam and Eve existed, that the world is only 5000 years old, etc, are actually far closer to the early Christians than many of the modern faiths that take the "God guided the hand of evolution" view of things. Phone Post
4/4/11 9:54 PM
Ridgeback

Like fish in a barrel...

Reply Post

This thread has been frozen.