UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Injured during BJJ

4/2/11 7:55 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
RogerRabbit
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey folks, I've been doing BJJ for about 2 months now, but two weeks ago I was at the start of rolling, and I got taken down, but as I was in the process of being taken down, I posted my arm straight out to the side to try and avoid being put on my back. As I did this, both mine and my partner's weight went onto my straight arm and I felt a sudden sharp pain near my elbow, it only lasted about half a second and it was fine, for the rest of the roll(s). However, the next day I could feel it and whenever I either straightened or bent my arm, it hurt at my elbow, not a great pain, just uncomfortable. I thought I'd just leave it for a few weeks, and wait for it to recover before going back to BJJ, but it isn't really much better than it was the day after.

Anybody know what this could be, and what to do? I'm a student, and don't have the money to go for surgery or physiotherapy.
4/3/11 2:10 AM
Josh Gibson
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Could be a lot of different things. Youre lucky you didnt break your arm. Personally, I would just take tylenol and get a cheap elbow wrap and still train. Learn to breakfall.
4/3/11 11:11 PM
MattB ATC
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Where specifically does it hurt on your elbow? Honestly, there are tons of things that could've happened - could just be a muscle/tendon strain, could be a small fracture in your elbow, could be damage to the ligaments supporting the elbow, could be damage to the articular cartilage in the elbow.
4/6/11 4:24 PM
billygamble
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yeah just try to keep it from flamming up. Ask your doctor for a Flector patch if it keeps hurting. These things are the bomb.

http://www.flectorpatch.com

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.