UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> Kyoukushin near DE?

4/4/11 4:06 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
CSWrestler
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey TMA forum, I had a question. I've been doing kickboxing for a few years along with some bjj and enjoy the hard training when I go. Lately though I've been missing the traditional styles I was interested in when I was younger, and have thought about getting back into it. I'd really like to study kyokushin or one of the other knockdown styles, but I live in Delaware and can't find anything even close to nearby. I was just wondering if anybody knew of any schools that fit the bill anywhere even nearby, including south jersey, south PA, or MD somewhere. Thanks
4/5/11 8:10 AM
khd29
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

check out kyokushin4life.com but not a lot listed in the dojo directory.

There is a Kyokushin organization called Phoenix Way(?) that's around the south Jersey area. If that doesnt work, check out other kyokushin organizations, World Oyama, Seido, Enshin, etc. to find a dojo list. Try to find independent dojos that teaches knockdown karate and follow links to other dojos.

I know Seido has a branch in Towson, MD and other parts but not familiar with the area.

4/5/11 11:57 PM
Missing Glove Tape

Yeah, you might be shit out of luck. Pretty much blows, too, because kyokushin/offshoots are definitely worth training. Much like savate, a style I'd love to train myself, it always seems like the really interesting and functional styles, at least in terms of standup, are next to impossible to find.

Once upon a time I had a brief opportunity to train kyokushin and was competely stoked! But then, like a month after it opened(and probably 2wks after I found out about it), the damn place closed down for unexplained reasons and didn't reopen again(in a different location) until like 2yrs later...when I'd moved away! ;(
4/6/11 9:58 PM
khd29

Seido has a dojo in Philly if its close by. In Maryland 3 dojos. Seido is interesting because you are not allowed to spar until mid-level and lots of meditation. I've seen some of their students compete and do well.

Directory:

http://seido.com/about-seido/worldwide-dojo-directory
4/8/11 6:10 PM
CSWrestler
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the replies amigos. The seido in towson is at a ymca and is seido juku, which isn't the bare knuckle/knockdown style I'm looking for. I'd consider philly if its seido kaikan. I've been going to a straight up kickboxing/bjj gym and miss the traditional style training, so I wouldn't mind having to prove myself before I can spar, as long as it's not foam dipped gear point sparring.
4/8/11 6:13 PM
CSWrestler

Yeah the philly one is seido juku as well and is ran out of a ymca, so I don't think it's what I'm looking for. Lame. I'm hoping to start a new career within the next year maybe I'll move somewhere a bit more multicultural that has access to styles like that. Sigh...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.