UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Feedback on 3 gis

4/8/11 3:08 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
GB Dave Jr
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hi everyone, I am going to be picking up some judo and have been doing a lot of reading about gis for judo. I am 6'1" and 195 lbs (hopefully losing some), but I have read that given my size, it would probably be best to get a double weave. Given my background in jiujitsu, I have never been a fan of double weave. I wanted to get your feedback on the gis Im looking at right now.

Swain/Century Heavy Single weave
Swain/Century Double weave
FUJI double weave.

These choices are primarily from an economic standpoint and seem like they offer the most for the money. Any help would be great, or any other recommendations would be helpful too. I might add that I like to wash my gis with hot water and machine dry. I know this isnt good for longevity, but Ive had staph one too many times.

Thanks for your help!
4/8/11 8:31 AM
croaker
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'll get in here

First, you can rock a single weave if you want. They hold up pretty well...although I've had a few torn off my back from time to time. I'll warn you: if you thought BJJ turn out made you sweat, you are in for an awakening wit a good class filled with rondouri. A double weave can just add to the misery

All of the gi's you've listed will give a good bang for the buck. Moneywise, I've always thought Fuji made an excellent gi. I have one I bought off some corner store in Japan many many years ago in the 80's, and it withstood years of pretty hard training. Finally tore it when I lent it to another BJJ guy lol

Can't go wrong with Fuji as a beginner. Nothing wrong with Swain, they hold up pretty well, too
4/8/11 11:17 PM
GB Dave Jr
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think I might go with the Swain heavy single. Has anyone ever purchased from discountmas.com ? Legit?
4/17/11 3:15 AM
Oldboy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've got a Fuji double weave that has been awesome for both judo/bjj competition and training. Phenomenal gi for the price.
4/17/11 8:02 AM
judoblackbelt
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had (2) Swain deluxe single weaves white/blue. Excellent gi (s) that I donated to one of our juniors. Between a single/double. Fit well and allowed movement and held up well. A favorite of mine. You do not want a gi that is too heavy and stiff. It will wreak your washing machine and feel uncomfortable. I ordered from http://maols.com/ .The pants got too short for me as I am 5'10" 166. Gi size 5.0. I think you would wear a 6.0 and pants would not be an issue. I have no experience with Fuji. I would order a white in one and a blue in the other and make a comparison. I buy better quality Mizuno(s) because Hatashita Sports lets me order a 4.5 in the jacket and a 5.0 in the pants. Give the Swain Deluxe single weave a try. you won't be disappointed.
4/17/11 7:39 PM
JuDoK@
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Your weight and height would probably not be a size 6 bro. That is a huge gi. I am 5'11" and 250 and wear a size 4.5
4/18/11 7:14 AM
judoblackbelt
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

4.5 and 250? My 4.5 Mizuno top is a little big. I possibly could wear a 4.0. I gave my Swain Delux single weaves to our 15 yr old future Star who weighs around 190 lbs. So maybe at least a 5.5 in the Deluxe single weave. There is variation from different gi manufactures. The cheaper gi's tend to shrink more. A selling point of the more expensive gi's is minimal or no shrinkage. So yes my 6.0 recommendation might be too big. thanks. But the gi itself is excellent.
4/18/11 9:23 AM
GB Dave Jr

thanks for all the responses guys! unfortunately most of the sites that carry the deluxe single were out of stock. ended up getting the FUJI single for now. I anticipate getting something heavier after a little while. Still thinking about something between a single/double. The Mizuno Keiko looks interesting. Although, I saw a Mizuno double recently and it didnt feel too heavy. Just on the pocket book I guess. The HCK heavy single looks interesting as well. Thanks again guys!
4/18/11 9:23 AM
GB Dave Jr

Edited: 04/18/11 10:27 PM
double
4/20/11 7:36 AM
judoblackbelt

I see the Mizuno Keiko (1 1/2)on Hatashita's website and this looks like what you could be looking for also. One thing about Mizuno is there is ample supply. Lets us know how the FUJI gi works out. I have never own one but guys at the dojo wear them, Addidas and Mizuno. I don't care for the addidas patch on the shoulder. Just me. Big hit with the younger guys.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.