UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Teaching 13yr old to play chords. Suggested songs?

4/9/11 12:21 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Willybone
397 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/09/11 12:26 PM

Yo...
So, my 13yr old daughter is showing some interest in learning to play guitar. She's happy learning from me too.
I'm trying to get her to learn all the common major and minor open chords at this stage, thinking the easily accessible sing-along possibilities would be good encouragement.
I started with "Hey Joe", which is great for learning ACDEG majors, but she's not completely stoned and Hendrix-obsessed* like I was when that song was useful to me 25 years ago.
Doing some 12-bar too, but she's not as interested in soloing yet as I was.
Any suggestions for cool current songs that're mostly A-G majors and minors? Nothing riff-driven yet.
She loves Avenged Sevenfold, but I'm having a hard time finding songs that don't require some tricky bar chords even when dumbed way down.
She loves that ballad-y, emo-ish, new metal/rock, like Chemical Romance, Avenged Sevenfold, and whatnot. Cute boys apparently lend a lot to a great sound. 

* - Although watching YouTube of him, she was baffled and blown away by his playing like all guitarists are when they see it for the first time. "How does he...? How...? Omg. Wait, what?"

4/10/11 10:50 AM
Willybone
397 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, she's awesome. She's tried before but got a little discouraged. Since then, she picked up some ukulele and that gave her the confidence to move back to guitar.
I got her a really sweet Stagg student scale strat.
4/10/11 8:30 PM
wiley
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Youtube videos such as: (all acoustic versions/lessons)

Greenday
"Good Riddance(Time of your life)"

Social Distortion
"Ball & Chain" , "Story of my Life"

Wreckless Eric
"whole Wide World"

Travis/Fran Healy
"Why does it always rain on me"

Joel Plaskett
"Before you leave"

Rolling Stones
"Dead Flowers" this link is not the Stones but its a good basic version of the tune

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUxFnN3bFCQ

CCR tunes are good.

Most of these songs can be played/strummed with the good ol' universal/folk strum pattern of Down-Down/Up-Up/Down/Up....

Also use www.ultimate-guitar.com and get the songs she likes with the simplest chords for her to use.

I pick a song I want to learn, and I youtube it over and over, then I youtube covers of the song over and over(often simpler), I then use www.ultimate-guitar.com to gets the chords...

Then practice, practice.....

4/11/11 9:21 AM
Willybone

Edited: 04/11/11 9:21 AM
Green Day is an especially good tip.
Thanks.
I'll check the rest out on YouTube. I use Ultimate-Guitar all the time, but I was having a hard time coming up wihtt current-ish music to search on that wasn't taking me in a F#dim6 direction. 
4/12/11 3:04 AM
Invisible Lats Syndrome
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There's a few easy Audioslave songs I don't know if these darned kids still listen to that.

Doesn't Remind Me for one. Verses alternate E and A. Chorus goes E D A E and the bridge is Dm, C, A, Am, G, E.

I Am The Highway - Verse is F C G Am, chorus is C G Dm Am.

Otherwise you could try Arcade Fire - The Suburbs, Capo 2nd fret. Verse runs C Am E G, Chorus C, Am, E, D.
4/27/11 4:25 AM
Ponyboy
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/27/11 4:58 AM
Theme song to "king of the hill" is great exercise for running riffs up and down the neck once she wants to stray away from the nut......and it's recognizable.

Since so many of the emo/screamo songs feature sliding octaves up and down the neck, she might enjoy that as well.

Cherub rock" has octave slurring and plenty of chords at the nut while still being pretty modern sounding and relatively simple.

You could show her "white wedding" and tom petty's "last dance with mary jane" using the exact same fingering position for much of both songs.......as long as you play white wedding near the nut rather than way up the neck.

Relating two songs with similar riffs might be fun.

Try to let her get used to standard tuning rather than drop D until she gains some skills or it could become a crutch that limits her later on.
4/27/11 10:11 PM
Hillbilly
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I say throw her into the muck right off the bat..

Stella By Starlight

Night in Tunisia

Giant Steps

Donna Lee

Salt Peanuts

The Birth of Cool

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.