UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Mauro Ranallo: 'Judges, get your act together'

4/11/11 9:35 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1075 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

In fairness to the judges, it might not be unreasonable for them to go on camera and declare:
'Mauro, get your math together'

Mauro says in the video above that round 1 could have gone to Jardine. Given the point deduction against Mousasi for an illegal kick, that would make Round 1 10-8 Jardine. If Mousasi won the second and third, that would result in a tie score, with no malfeasance what so ever on the part of the judges.

4/11/11 9:44 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ranier wolfcastle
888 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hes right except that jardine lost every round
4/11/11 9:49 AM
MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bad call by Mauro. Jardine won first round 10-8, Mousasi won 2nd and 3rd rounds 10-9. That is a 28-28 draw. I was trying to figure out what Mauro was talking about when he went off a bit. Judging these days is definitely not the best but that was the right call. Maybe Mauro was scoring the whole fight like Pride days and not rounds like UFC and Strikeforce.
4/11/11 9:49 AM
HULKSMASH
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe the judges will get their act together if he stops saying "punches in bunches." Phone Post
4/11/11 10:05 AM
Hypnotoad

MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ - Bad call by Mauro. Jardine won first round 10-8, Mousasi won 2nd and 3rd rounds 10-9. That is a 28-28 draw. I was trying to figure out what Mauro was talking about when he went off a bit. Judging these days is definitely not the best but that was the right call. Maybe Mauro was scoring the whole fight like Pride days and not rounds like UFC and Strikeforce.

there is no fucking way jardine won the first round
4/11/11 10:06 AM
Hypnotoad

MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ - Bad call by Mauro. Jardine won first round 10-8, Mousasi won 2nd and 3rd rounds 10-9. That is a 28-28 draw. I was trying to figure out what Mauro was talking about when he went off a bit. Judging these days is definitely not the best but that was the right call. Maybe Mauro was scoring the whole fight like Pride days and not rounds like UFC and Strikeforce.

there is no fucking way jardine won the first round
4/11/11 10:13 AM
orcus

1) Most of the first round took place standing, which means effective striking was to be the most heavily weighted criteria, and Mousasi won that handily.

2) There is no way in hell Mousasi should have had a point taken away for the very first, entirely unintentional foul that barely even made Jardine blink.

3) Last round should have been 10-8 without a doubt.

The score should have been 30-26 for Mousasi.
4/11/11 10:20 AM
Winnson

No way I subject myself to Mauro unless I get to watch a fight.  For some reason, I don't give a shit what he has to say about anything.

Proverbial
4/11/11 10:21 AM
jjj2121

Why does everyone think having former fighters score fights is the solution?  Mike C. came in this thread and he's got the wrong score too.
4/11/11 10:25 AM
Aadil

Good job Mauro. Love his commentary. Didn't like it much in the pride days but he has really come into his own since then.
4/11/11 10:25 AM
jjj2121

9-9
10-9 Mousasi
10-8 Mousasi

29-26 Mousasi.  Read the fight metric report.  Takedowns don't count for shit if you don't do anything with them and Mousasi beat the piss out of Jardine standing in every round.
4/11/11 10:26 AM
ausgepicht

I'm sure like many people he scored the first round 9-9, and/or scored the last round 10-8 for GM.

Someone remind me why MMA adopted Boxing's shitty scoring system instead of doing what EVERY other sport on earth does?

4/11/11 10:28 AM
HereWeAre

& just watched Mousasi-Jardine again. Scored 1st 10-8 Jardine (due to the point deduction) 10-9 Mousasi in the 2nd & 3rd. 28-28. Good call.

-Ariel Helwani
4/11/11 10:37 AM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Commissions need to get their acts together.
4/11/11 10:43 AM
frederic
622 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hate when people like him or Dana White bitch about the judging on close fights because their golden boy (or the person they saw from their non-judge's eyes as the better fighter) didn't win.

It's hard to commentate and judge.
4/11/11 10:47 AM
jjj2121

frederic - I hate when people like him or Dana White bitch about the judging on close fights because their golden boy (or the person they saw from their non-judge's eyes as the better fighter) didn't win.

Mousasi won, Jardine had literally zero effective offense.
4/11/11 10:48 AM
Radford Martel

Mauro is so clued up, I nearly always agree with what he says.

4/11/11 10:48 AM
BigWilliam
257 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jardine lost every round. He did NOTHING with his takedowns and got whooped on his feet.
4/11/11 10:49 AM
WatchinMMA

Man even my girl was like who is this tool?? It sucks he's canadian cause I like to cheer my fellow countrymen Phone Post
4/11/11 10:50 AM
bradu
192 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I say this over and over again, but it needs to be changed. We as viewers and judges are SOO hesitant to score a round 10-8 that it is absolutely ruining fights.

Ask anyone who doesn't understand the scoring in MMA what they just witnessed, and they'll say "the bald guy with the wirey beard just got the living shit beat out of him." Plain and simple. Mousasi won that fight hands down, no question about it. Why was it scored a draw, then? Because Jardine got a couple takedowns in the first round and some people go "hmmm...well, I guess I'll give him that round." And then Mousasi beat the hell out of him for the next 2 rounds, but those count just the same as a very close round because judges score them 10-9 instead of 10-8!

For one, Jardine should not win the 1st round based JUST on tds. Yes, he had 4 takedowns. If your takedowns are doing any good, you don't NEED 4 of them in a round! If you had 4 takedowns in a round that means your opponent got up 3 times at least! Mousasi took zero damage and got up easily, those takedowns were completely worthless. Mousasi literally did more damage from the bottom than he suffered.

Anyway, probably the worst decision I've seen where it is so glaring that something needs to be done about judging. I understand how fights are judged in MMA. Watching one guy beat the crap out of another guy for 15 minutes and then settle for a draw should be all the evidence we need that the scoring system needs some serious changes. More 10-10 rounds for close rounds. More 10-8 and 10-7 rounds for dominant rounds.
4/11/11 10:54 AM
frederic
622 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jjj2121 - 
frederic - I hate when people like him or Dana White bitch about the judging on close fights because their golden boy (or the person they saw from their non-judge's eyes as the better fighter) didn't win.

I guess I must have missed Mousasi dominating the first round as he was backing up or ending up on his back. The only memorable strike he threw that round was the upkick.
4/11/11 11:11 AM
Flannerz
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bradu -  I say this over and over again, but it needs to be changed. We as viewers and judges are SOO hesitant to score a round 10-8 that it is absolutely ruining fights.

Ask anyone who doesn't understand the scoring in MMA what they just witnessed, and they'll say "the bald guy with the wirey beard just got the living shit beat out of him." Plain and simple. Mousasi won that fight hands down, no question about it. Why was it scored a draw, then? Because Jardine got a couple takedowns in the first round and some people go "hmmm...well, I guess I'll give him that round." And then Mousasi beat the hell out of him for the next 2 rounds, but those count just the same as a very close round because judges score them 10-9 instead of 10-8!

For one, Jardine should not win the 1st round based JUST on tds. Yes, he had 4 takedowns. If your takedowns are doing any good, you don't NEED 4 of them in a round! If you had 4 takedowns in a round that means your opponent got up 3 times at least! Mousasi took zero damage and got up easily, those takedowns were completely worthless. Mousasi literally did more damage from the bottom than he suffered.

Anyway, probably the worst decision I've seen where it is so glaring that something needs to be done about judging. I understand how fights are judged in MMA. Watching one guy beat the crap out of another guy for 15 minutes and then settle for a draw should be all the evidence we need that the scoring system needs some serious changes. More 10-10 rounds for close rounds. More 10-8 and 10-7 rounds for dominant rounds.

Maybe it's because we know judges will give points for takedowns, whether they are effective or not
4/11/11 11:14 AM
jjj2121

frederic - 
jjj2121 - 

I guess I must have missed Mousasi dominating the first round as he was backing up or ending up on his back. The only memorable strike he threw that round was the upkick.

Read the Fight Metric report, they keep record of all the strikes you missed.
4/11/11 11:14 AM
Uncle Justice
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/11/11 11:14 AM
 This is really simple:

1. TDs are counted as effective grappling, meaning that in the unified rules they are indeed on the same level as landing heavy strikes or a higher volume of strikes

2. Orcus astutely points out that most of the fight took place on the feet, meaning the stand-up should take precedence over grappling, but that rule is ONLY in New Jersey's rules, NOT the unified rules

Therefore, the problem is not the judges.  They are doing their job according the unified rules if they follow guidelines that put TDs on the same level as landing heavy strikes without any specification to prioritize grappling vs. striking by how much time was spent.

4/11/11 11:29 AM
jbapk

Uncle Justice -  This is really simple:

1. TDs are counted as effective grappling, meaning that in the unified rules they are indeed on the same level as landing heavy strikes or a higher volume of strikes

2. Orcus astutely points out that most of the fight took place on the feet, meaning the stand-up should take precedence over grappling, but that rule is ONLY in New Jersey's rules, NOT the unified rules

Therefore, the problem is not the judges.  They are doing their job according the unified rules if they follow guidelines that put TDs on the same level as landing heavy strikes without any specification to prioritize grappling vs. striking by how much time was spent.

Even if you say Jardine won the grappling section and Mousasi won the striking...

That's a 10-10 draw round. Point deduction (bad reffing) makes it 10-9 Jardine, Mousasi wins next two rounds and wins the fight. And the last round should be 10-8 Mousasi anyways.

It's been pointed out in a every thread now that there are more problems with the judging then just counting takedowns too much, there's also the misuse of the 10 point system.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.