UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> WTF Paypal!?

4/11/11 8:40 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Enson Yamato Inoue
516 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I got this message from paypal and had to return all donations.  I feel sorry for the people I could have touched up north with the donations.

Dear Enson Inoue,

Thank you for your concern for the people of Japan.
About the donations you are collecting for disaster relief

in this region. It appears that your PayPal account does not belong to a

non-profit organization.

PayPal permits donations to accounts that belong to verified non-profit

organizations. PayPal also permits donations to the accounts of

individuals or organizations that are authorized to fundraise on behalf of

verified non-profit organizations.

To issue a refund, please follow the instructions below:

1. Log In to your PayPal account.

2. Click "History" at the top of the page.

3. Find the payment requiring a refund and click "Details."

4. Click the "Issue Refund" link at the bottom of the page.

5. Enter the refund amount and click "Continue."

6. Confirm the details and click "Issue Refund."

Please send any questions to compliance@paypal.com.

Again, thank you for your concern for the victims of this natural disaster,

and thank you for your understanding and cooperation in helping to keep

PayPal the safest, most trusted on-line payment system.

Sincerely,

David

PayPal Compliance Department

4/11/11 8:41 PM
Enson Yamato Inoue
516 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My response to all who donated!

To my dear friends. It breaks my heart to inform you that I must refund all donations sent in to my paypal. On April 9th, I got a email from paypal informing me that because I wasn't an official nonprofit organization and because I wasn't officially linked to a registered non-profit organization my account was frozen and I would have to return all the money that was donated in order to unlock my account.

I am very discouraged and disappointed at this point but I understand that Paypal has procedures and it is just their standard policy. I was unaware that getting donations for a good cause had all these legalities attached to it and returning all your donations is the proper thing to do. I'm so sorry if this has caused anyone any inconveniences and apologize for my inadequate preparations for receiving donations.

However I would like to reassure you that this will not stop my movement and I will continue to aid the people up north to the best of my abilities. Because of this set back, it will limit the things I can do and the amount of supplies I can purchase, But I will still be there physically to help even though my financial capabilities have been crippled. I still have some personal cash I can use and some cash that is being accumulated from the sales of the Pray for Japan T-shirts and my charity bracelets.

There is pain in my heart knowing that this came at such a bad time when every day, every minute is important because there are thousands and thousands of people suffering and waiting for desperately needed aide. My eyes also fill up with tears thinking of all the smiles we will miss and could have created with all your donations but I believe all things happen for a reason. Although I can't be facilitated with your financial support the gesture you all made to want to help gives me more power and desire to go ahead with what I feel I need to do in my heart, which is aid the people up north. I have faith in God and I know he would never interfere with a cause as good as this, so I believe this is actually a good thing, we just don't know why.... yet!

Yes, 1000 smiles would be better than 100 smiles but 1 smile is better than none. I will fight on no matter the obstacles put in my way. That's the way of the Samurai!! That's Yamatodamashii!

4/11/11 8:43 PM
JohnnyLawrence
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's some serious bullshit right there.
4/11/11 8:46 PM
Scott Rotem
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh man that sucks! Phone Post
4/11/11 8:48 PM
smth416
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Respect. that breaks my heart.
4/11/11 8:49 PM
Morgz
274 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good ole paypal.

They may be following a valid rule here, but if anyone out there is not aware that Paypal appointments themselves "judge, jury, and executioner" in all things disputed, consider yourself forwarned.  To fight paypal is like fighting city hall.  You just can't win.

Too bad too, becuase this is such a good cause.

TTT for the great work Enson is doing.
4/11/11 8:50 PM
TheBear228
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/11/11 8:50 PM
 If there was ever a need for the UG Mob, this is it.

I think the board should flame the fuck out of Paypal's compliance department. I would like to think Enson has enough of a high profile to deem his efforts legitimate, but paypal is too concerned with policy and bullshit and covering their own ass than actually helping people that have been DEVASTATED. 
4/11/11 8:59 PM
mma ray
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PayPal Sucks Enson!

They are currently boycotted by a lot of politcal activists.
They are corporatists.
Without a good cause they refuse customers solely on thier on discretion. PREJUDICE!
4/11/11 9:05 PM
armbarring
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

maybe you can sell your beads on ebay?
4/11/11 9:08 PM
Attila
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/11/11 9:08 PM
Unfortunately if paypal didn't do this, they would get implicated in a ton of fraud cases. I wonder if you could get set up as a verified non-profit organization and have paypal transfer the funds to it. Definitely worth asking...
4/11/11 9:12 PM
Ring Girl
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You can set up a non-profit Paypal account - when you create a new account it will actually ask you that at some point as one of the options. You have to be able to prove it, though -- they'll want proof of 501c3 status, so you'll need to get paperwork from the charity you are donating to, but it's completely possible to do.
4/11/11 9:23 PM
Hong Kong Phooey
1132 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No good deed goes unpunished
4/11/11 9:52 PM
xxzygotexx
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT...

Wow, that sucks...Much respect for what you're doing...
4/11/11 10:03 PM
Tahiti Bo
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tax compliance issues.
4/11/11 10:27 PM
dirtymfmoney

What a joke that's not cool wtf Phone Post
4/11/11 11:13 PM
Shane Carwin
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My blog from last month

Pay a Pal but not a Fighter

Posted by Shane Carwin on March 21, 2011 at 3:00pmView My Blog
As most of you know I recently set up a "donate" app on my website to help the people of Japan. We have also been selling some one of a kind gear with proceeds going to Hands on Tokyo.

In a few short minutes we raised hundres if not thousands of dollars The Carwin Army always comes through and this was no exception. I was in the process of setting up a bank account because PayPal requires you to have a bank account on file to accept money. Even if 100% of the money was being donated within PayPal's system.

The other day PayPal emailed me to inform me that I was not authorized to accept donations. I explained to them the intentions and they still will not allow it. It is a violation of their terms of service.

I am going to still send you the 8x10. If you sent a donation it is "pending" and you should cancel it. I will mail you the signed 8x10 as a way of saying thank you for being so amazing. If you want PayPal has a lot of great charities they work with and you can still donate through those channels.

Please do not flame PayPal as they are just trying to protect the people sending money through their system. I understand and can appreciate the fraud prevention they have in place.

I really appreciate how responsive you guys are. We have raised some money and surely raised awareness. We can take pride in that. If you can help the people in Japan they surely need it. You can also check out sites like MiddleEasy.com who have their own Japanrelief efforts underway.

-Carwin
4/11/11 11:21 PM
Jason
353 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC
 I wonder how long it takes set up a non profit?
4/11/11 11:28 PM
KeijiKadekawa
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Typically, IRS 501(c)(3) approval takes between 2 and 12 months, inclusive of likely written follow-up questions.

Sometimes it takes a little less; sometimes a little more. Expedited review can be requested if a new organization is being formed to provide immediate disaster relief or if a promised grant is both 1) substantial relative to the organization’s budget and 2) the grant has a specifically- defined expiration date.

There is no guarantee the IRS will grant expedited review requests.

- Enson

Going to have Toby Imada contact you in regards to the non-profit.
4/11/11 11:33 PM
Badlands Meanie

Really. The Rogue mod deleted my "Paypal hates Japanese people" post. Only one mod posted on here, so that kind of narrows it down doesn't it.
4/11/11 11:41 PM
cluster
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MrHenson -  how does paypal know its a donation account ?

i mean what stands out vs. some account that i might have where i provide some service like web design work or whatever and people are paying me random amounts for different things ?

They will check out sites that they get complaints on/think might be suspicious.

Good luck, Enson!
4/11/11 11:57 PM
Russ
278 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RML -  It makes sense.  It sucks.. but the policy makes sense.  It's to protect people from fraud.

4/12/11 1:37 AM
DeanoBirko

You could always set up a just giving site. Phone Post
4/12/11 2:00 AM
Shane Carwin
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jason -  I wonder how long it takes set up a non profit?

The shame of it was I was just donating through paypal so it would have never left their system.

Allegedly American Red Cross has raised 1 billion for Japan and no money has been disbursed. Wonder if they are having paypal issues too?
4/12/11 6:47 AM
Enson Yamato Inoue

It wasn't a donation account.

4/12/11 7:00 AM
MentaL
528 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Paypal are a terrible company and over the years have held tens of thousands of dollars of my money. Paypal held a red cross account for hurricane katrina with like 50 thousand on there before, they dont give a fuck basically. Paypal suck. Period.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.