UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Hunt: CBSSports.com not looking at MMA for a while

[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
4/12/11 10:41 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1196 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

Loretta commented on not getting credentialed for the UFC San Diego event.

“Did it hurt me? Yeah, sure. That was my first assignment for CBS Sports. I worked with one of the producers over there who does the NFL and also had done MMA in the past. His name is Denny Burkholder, he’s a big fan of Mixed Martial Arts. CBS Sports, I’m told, hasn’t really covered MMA for the last year or so for various reasons I’m told because they’ve had some difficulty with getting interviews and things like that in the past, so they kind of cooled off from it and then they were coming back in, this was the first show that they were going to do in quite some time. They brought me in, assigned me, and then we were turned down.

"So, CBS Sports decided that they just weren’t going to do any coverage at all of the UFC. They don’t want to be told who they can send to their events and who they shouldn’t send to their events representing them.

“Yeah, I mean that I’m sad this door closed. I mean, a door really did close. CBS Sports is not going to look at MMA for at least a little while.”

“ I don’t want to speak out of turn. I just, I had some conversation with CBS Sports a little bit. They just haven’t really covered Mixed Martial Arts so much because, uh, you know, because like I said I don’t want to speak out of turn but I definitely got the indication that, you know, when they were running the Elite XC events on CBS which was a competitor (to the UFC), you know, I think some of the access that they wanted to get in interviewing certain people and stuff was difficult for them. They felt some kind of restriction, so they kind of backed away from it and this was them kind of dipping their toe back in the water again and, you know, something like this happens again and it just reinforces, you know, the UFC and their take on the Mixed Martial Arts media and them trying to decide, you know, who they want to sent and who they don’t want to send.

"And… you know, there’s no… there’s no secret that, uh… there’s some kind of vendetta against me. You know, I’m not welcome at the UFC shows, I haven’t been for some time. I’ve been in and out of this media ban since October 2005 when I started. You know, I’m obviously not welcome at the events probably for any outlet that I work for. You know, I’m with Sports Illustrated now and still if I apply for a credential with SI I’m not going to be allowed in either.

“But, you know, the bigger picture here is, it’s not just about me, there’s other people involved, too. There’s other media that’s not allowed in. It’s the UFC’s decision that they’re going to do this because, from everything I’ve been told, this doesn’t happen in other sports. Journalists are granted credentials if they work for a reliable media outlet and, you know, are responsible reporters. I don’t think it’s been proven that any of us on this banned/restricted list were ever irresponsible in our reporting, we haven’t been. So, you know, that’s the bigger picture with the media ban for people are kind of stepping into this and seeing this for the first time.”

“(Zuffa) wants to move into being a mainstream sport and a mainstream league at this point, like I don’t think that’s there any argument that UFC is now the league of our sport, right? The thing that we didn’t think would happen but it happened and, you know, I gladly I can admit that and say that about this sport. If they want to be like all the other leagues, you know, the NBA like you know barring whatever Mark Cuban is considering*, the NFL, all these other guys they don’t restrict the media and I bet you they don’t like the media that comes through because they are probably a lot more critical in other sports than the hardest critics are in Mixed Martial Arts. So, what’s happening is extraordinary and makes us seem kind of hokey, you know, Mixed Martial Arts compared to all the other sports. What other big promotion do you know that doesn’t let the media in?”

Read entire article...

*In a CNN.com video interview, Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban said that he did not want to enable internet reporters addiction to writing what he doesn't believe is real journalism. "Look I'm not denying them the chance to do their business. They have every right and opportunity to do that. But I don't have to condone that. I don't have to support it. I don't have to enable it. I don't want to hand the heroin junkie the needle and, in this particular case, giving them locker room access is pretty much the same thing."

4/12/11 10:43 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
phantomknifehand
283 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You know,  You know,  You know,  You know,  You know,  You know,  You know,  You know,  You know,  You know,  You know,  You know,  You know,  You know,  You know,  You know,  You know,  You know,  You know,  You know,  You know,  You know,  You know,  You know,  You know,  You know,  You know,  You know,  You know...

Yeah Loretta, we know.
4/12/11 10:45 AM
PatrickFreitas
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/12/11 10:45 AM
i'm not so sure network TV is where MMA belongs. not even sure its best for the sport.

would be better if MMA ended up with one of the TBS/TNT properties. there's more cross-channel promo opportunity on these cable networks, and less hassle with major network execs who are concerned with the sport's "violence."
4/12/11 10:45 AM
jjj2121
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ugh...UG News...

She's talking about the WEBSITE, not the network.
4/12/11 10:46 AM
MuayTy
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe cbs shouldnt hire people to report on mma who are absolutly not going to get credentials at the big shows Phone Post
4/12/11 10:46 AM
jjj2121

TTT Kirik, here's your example in the last 100.
4/12/11 10:47 AM
PatrickFreitas
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jjj2121 -  Ugh...UG News...

She's talking about the WEBSITE, not the network.

i'll admit that i only read the thread headline. not the story.
4/12/11 10:48 AM
jjj2121

MuayTy -  Maybe cbs shouldnt hire people to report on mma who are absolutly not going to get credentials at the big shows Phone Post

Watch the video, she said the website decided that they weren't going to be told who they could or could not send to UFC/SF events and decided to pull out from covering the UFC for the time being altogether.
4/12/11 10:48 AM
romophobia
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know.
4/12/11 10:49 AM
jjj2121

RickMartelsArrogance - A MMA event is nothing Loretta can't cover from her couch.

If I can see pre fight and post fight pressers along with 5/7 prelim bouts, she can too.

There are other things covered on site rather than simply the actual fights.
flesheatingbull

mma belongs on a channel like showtime or hbo. we have that with strikeforce.

also, loretta hunt is an idiot.
Elite Hunting

PatrickFreitas - i'm not so sure network TV is where MMA belongs. not even sure its best for the sport.

would be better if MMA ended up with one of the TBS/TNT properties. there's more cross-channel promo opportunity on these cable networks, and less hassle with major network execs who are concerned with the sport's "violence."

You don't think major network television coverage is best for the sport? Apparently you don't want the fighters to make real money, then. To grow, the sport needs to reach the largest possible audience. That includes major network coverage.
4/12/11 10:59 AM
Kirik
1783 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground, Mayor for Life
jjj2121 -  TTT Kirik, here's your example in the last 100.

Thread title space limitations on the UG were the cause of that. The full thread title in news on the splash page is 'Loretta Hunt: CBSSports.com not looking at MMA for a while'
4/12/11 11:01 AM
PatrickFreitas

Elite Hunting - 
PatrickFreitas - i'm not so sure network TV is where MMA belongs. not even sure its best for the sport.

You don't think major network television coverage is best for the sport? Apparently you don't want the fighters to make real money, then. To grow, the sport needs to reach the largest possible audience. That includes major network coverage.

not as simple as you think it is. i've worked for both ABC and NBC. even if MMA made it on to network TV, it wont receive the promotional push it could on something like TBS/TNT. and its nearly impossible for event broadcasts to conform to the rigid scheduling of major network TV.
4/12/11 11:03 AM
Ron Jamdeen

I knew that Probst was an idiot, but I had no idea he was gay.
4/12/11 11:04 AM
jjj2121

Kirik - 
jjj2121 -  TTT Kirik, here's your example in the last 100.

Thread title space limitations on the UG were the cause of that. The full thread title in news on the splash page is 'Loretta Hunt: CBSSports.com not looking at MMA for a while'

You are on par with CRE and superCalo, Jenness.
4/12/11 11:07 AM
EnderTL
256 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hunt states how CBS wasn't really covering MMA for a bit.. then all of a sudden they feel like covering it again, and are butthurt that Zuffa doesn't just open the doors and let whoever in?

Maybe I didn't interpret that correctly, but from what I gathered they expected to be treated like king-shit just because they were CBS.
4/12/11 11:08 AM
jjj2121

EnderTL - Hunt states how CBS wasn't really covering MMA for a bit.. then all of a sudden they feel like covering it again, and are butthurt that Zuffa doesn't just open the doors and let whoever in?

Maybe I didn't interpret that correctly, but from what I gathered they expected to be treated like king-shit just because they were CBS.

She is saying they were looking to get back in, but will not let the promotion they are covering dictate who is and is not acceptable to send to an event based on childish petty personal vendettas, I assume they would have the same reaction with any real sport.
4/12/11 11:11 AM
slo ko
1044 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No real loss.

I have a hard time believing there is this exclusive group of fans who only read CBS Sports.com and no other media, who wouldn't have heard about Strikeforce or UFC by any other means were it not for Loretta.
4/12/11 11:12 AM
shb
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

everything loretta said is correct. dana is holding back mma from becoming a legitimate sport with his despotic business practices
4/12/11 11:12 AM
jjj2121

Ron Simpson - Media should be allowed to cover an event based on legitimacy rather than whether or not they’re on your good side, period.
CBS Sports is legitimate.

Ding, ding.
4/12/11 11:13 AM
NorthFromHere
306 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is news why?
4/12/11 11:17 AM
Capo Ultra

slo ko - No real loss.

I have a hard time believing there is this exclusive group of fans who only read CBS Sports.com and no other media, who wouldn't have heard about Strikeforce or UFC by any other means were it not for Loretta.

you totally missed the whole point
4/12/11 11:17 AM
Arecsa
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

phantomknifehand -  You know,  You know,  You know,  You know,  You know,  You know,  You know,  You know,  You know,  You know,  You know,  You know,  You know,  You know,  You know,  You know,  You know,  You know,  You know,  You know,  You know,  You know,  You know,  You know,  You know,  You know,  You know,  You know,  You know...

Yeah Loretta, we know.

More you knows than a typical Nick Diaz interview, impressive.
4/12/11 11:18 AM
Magic8

derrrr, Dana no like Loretta Hunt so ME no like her either...
[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.