UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Diaz vs. Lacy, not Vargas

4/14/11 11:22 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1050 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

In fact, a trip to professional boxing is still on Gracie's radar, and he said he's working to book Diaz on a fight sometime in the fall, possibly against former IBF champion Jeff Lacy.

That could be a possibility now that Diaz has reworked his MMA contract.

"These guys get to the point in their career where they want the big fights," Gracie today told MMAjunkie.com. "That's what Jake Shields is wanting. That's what (Dan) Henderson wants. They don't have to prove themselves."

"We were talking about Vargas, but the thing is, I just came under some information that Vargas apparently has some kind of medical issue where he's not able to pass the test any more, and he could be retiring," Gracie said. "Vargas was very interested, but unfortunately, if he can't pass the test, he can't pass the test."

read entire article...

4/14/11 11:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TheRealJoker
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UltraMagnus - Jeff Lacy was a one hit wonder....

Had power and had a powerful jab...

Left hook too... Shoulder surgery and Joe Calzaghe took that weapon away though.
4/14/11 11:39 PM
MillhouseMMA
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Really, Martinez? Wtf.
4/14/11 11:40 PM
PrettyBoy
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Daley almost put him out twice with his left hook. Lacy will obliterate Diaz. And Martinez would show Diaz what stamina and work rate is in the big leauges. He has no chance against any of those names but hopefully he would make some bucks. Phone Post
4/14/11 11:41 PM
chroniccomics5
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd rather see him fight Mayorga in MMA
4/15/11 12:19 AM
caposa
1574 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm a huge fan of Diaz, but I wouldn't even want to watch Nick against Martinez. This entire thing just sounds like bullshit. Phone Post
4/15/11 12:22 AM
leftlcoastinit
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Really, Martinez? Wtf.-Millhouse. Lmfao
4/15/11 12:23 AM
BradGluckman
576 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who the hell would sanction that bout an 0-0 record against a former champ sorry but I don't buy the story I think somebody is just negotiating for more leverage I guess there is nothing wrong with that
4/15/11 12:26 AM
leftlcoastinit

Yeah man. I think he should stick to mma. Too late to hang with the top dogs like martinez in boxing. His conditioning is made for boxing though.
4/15/11 12:36 AM
Roger AK47

As far Diaz and pro boxing, first for Gracie to even mention Sergio Martinez is completely humerous. He wouldn't last two rounds with Mayorga. I have no clue what he is talking about with Vargas. Vargas has a come-back fight in two days. He might consider taking a fight with Diaz if he is back and looking for some wins. Reading about it Vargas in walking around at 200 pounds, and dropping 30 for the fight against Henry Buchanan, who has lost to Andre Ward. Vargas has also been trained for this come-back since 2009 by Mayweather Sr. Lacy career has tanked big time, not mention seeing that his brother is a notorious cop killer now. Diaz might be able to get through a fight with Lacy.
4/15/11 12:37 AM
norcalmma
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

now that zuffa owns strikeforce will they allow nick to box? i remember scott cocker saying that nick can box as long as they give him permission.
4/15/11 12:40 AM
bodybag76

Lol! Martinez or his people wouldnt even think about a fight like that. Its an embarassment. No offense to Nick but youre talking about one of the top pound for pound fighters in the world whos coming off wins against Pavlik and Paul Williams and just won Fighter of the Year for 2010.
4/15/11 12:47 AM
TexDeuce
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol. Diaz will get fucked up by those guys including Lacy.
4/15/11 12:54 AM
ADAMantium
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Get that paper Nick!

I mean he stands to make some serious money for this boxing match.

I could see the Diaz/Mayorga fight.
4/15/11 1:06 AM
PrettyBoy
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why not sanction it? Didn't a 0-0 Toney in MMA have to debut against the most decorated UFC fighter in history Randy Couture in his first fight? A guy who is still fighting the MMA's elite like Machida. I mean that fight was proof to most of the tards on here that MMA was superior to boxing... Why not have it the other way around. Phone Post
4/15/11 1:09 AM
Roger AK47

Yeah. I think your giving boxing too much credit, or some state sanctioning. Diaz is a champion in a fighting sport. Guy like Lacy, his career has gone to hell. I could see that happen. Martinez is laughable. Mayorga would murder him within two rounds. If Vargas is on a comeback, not sure Diaz would mean shit to him.
4/15/11 1:17 AM
nni
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BradGluckman -  Who the hell would sanction that bout an 0-0 record against a former champ sorry but I don't buy the story I think somebody is just negotiating for more leverage I guess there is nothing wrong with that

Yes, he's clearly a beginner when it comes to striking.

The guy fights with 4-ounce gloves for a living, I'm sure he can handle a boxing match.
4/15/11 1:21 AM
leftlcoastinit

Vargas still has that discus problem with his back no? Fought
most his career with it too and couldn't take it no more.
4/15/11 1:35 AM
dogfb
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is win win for MMA fans. Either nick wins and it makes MMA look good or he loses and doesn't have these crazy idea's of making millions boxing and can focus 100% on MMA.
4/15/11 1:51 AM
Lt SmackaBitch

I'm down for Diaz vs Vargas. But Sergio Martinez? I think Mr. Gracie has his hopes too far up..
4/15/11 1:57 AM
Idsmashit

Depending how the fight plays out he could destroy Lacy. Similar style to Calzaghe high work rate would bust him up.
4/15/11 1:58 AM
Idsmashit

Depending how the fight plays out he could destroy Lacy. Similar style to Calzaghe high work rate would bust him up.
4/15/11 1:59 AM
Camel Killer
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nick wouldn't have to defend against kicks or takedowns so his pure boxing would be better than is seen in his mma fights. Phone Post
4/15/11 2:03 AM
Squared Circle
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOLMARAVILLALOL!
4/15/11 2:09 AM
taxidriver

Lacy would kill him. Even if he's considered a flop, he's had like 200+ amateur fights, boxed in the Sydney Olympics and was a (minor) world champ with 3-4 defenses.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.