UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Glass knuckle

4/15/11 11:20 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Brian McLaughlin
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've had chronic problems with my knuckle (middle finger on my right hand).  First happened when my sparring partner dropped his head down and I punched square on the top of his head. Had it x-rayed twice over the years after it filled with fluid, no fracture, but visibly deformed.

I've taken percautions to protect it (gauze, tape, sponges, extra handwraps, ect) and no matter what as soon as I start hard training the hand falls to pieces.

I've tried grip exercises, ice/heat and supplementing with glucosamine none of which has been effective.  Anything that might help is greatly appreciated.
4/16/11 12:19 AM
OKMike
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You might want to try adding fingertip push ups to your workouts. I have heard of these being useful for recurring hand injuries from boxing. It couldn't hurt to try them.
4/29/11 4:02 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
95 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've had repeated "boxer's break" fractures to my left hand over the years and heavy bag work would aggrivate it. for years I tried to add more padding, heavier gloves, gel pads etc.

Then our muay thai coach suggested that I go old school and stop using such big gloves and instead use old school 9 oz bag gloves.

what happned was that starting out i took some of the power off the hook, began to realize that my form needed work and gradually i just worked back up so that now i'm wailing away on the bag with the gloves and my hand gives me no problem at all.

just my experience fwiw. 
5/3/11 9:22 PM
cdueck
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The shitty thing about boxing-kickboxing-muaythai is that they teach people to punch really hard but not how to hit. I haven't worn hand wraps for years and I wear the smallest bag gloves I can find and as long as my form stays good and I have a tight hand I've had no problems. If I wear hand wraps now I can only get about three rounds in before my hands are to sore to continue.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.