UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Critique my first tournament

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

4/16/11 9:37 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
PoWdA101
1604 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/16/11 9:37 PM

Me getting ipponed, pretty sure the other guy was in a higher weight class but melded in with mine. I really wish I knew why the ref stopped us when I had a clock choke sunk in deep at 1:20. Either way, this was my favorite match of the day. Not a win but tons of fun. Will do again. 
4/16/11 9:38 PM
PoWdA101
1604 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I won this one. Must admit, the guy was quite a bit older but I got my first W in the books. 
4/17/11 1:00 AM
Missing Glove Tape
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Congratulations!

Eh, I doubt I'd have scored that an ippon since you plopped down (first) onto your buttocks rather than with impetus on your back. But whatever, not every call goes you way. You're definitely still learning, but credit to you on your posture since you kept your head up for the most part instead of staring at your toes when you took grips. Not a bad drop seoi attempt either, imo.

Why'd the ref call matte during the choke? Who knows. Maybe she didn't see how tight you had it in, and by then you'd had 25+ seconds on the ground, so without obvious advance in play to osaekomi or near submission/tapout that would warrant more time the idea is to keep the action going, thus a restart on the feet.

2nd match. Would've been nice to see how you transitioned to newaza. But other than that, the only observations I can make are seeing a lack of hip pressure/laying heavy, especially when you were thinking in between kuzure kesa and yoko shiho in order to beat his arm, and also some confusion in your grips during the holddown. What were you thinking/trying with that lapel grip? Why keep the farside underhook? If it were me, armchair judoing, of course, I'd have opted for the classic under head/neck collar grip with the left hand and either the crotch pin or belt grip with the right hand, off my knees, driving into the holddown as much as possible(laying heavy) with both, as seen in the illustrations below.

http://judoinfo.com/images/osaekomi/yoko_shiho_gatame.gif

https://www.gavle.to/~tommy.selggren/judo/katamewaza/yokoshihogatame.html
4/17/11 7:36 AM
judoblackbelt
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Congrat you performed well. Match 1- Good movement and you got your grip. Do not try to throw a taller opponent rearward. Your drop seionage was good. Even though he almost got a side pin you escaped with your good ground work. The ref was on the side and had a good view so the choke must of had no chance of progression, good try though. When you had the guy in a sort of side control and he turned away 0just before the choke) hook the top arm near the elbow and pull him back for a pin try. You got thrown because he got the grip first and you were reaching trhying to get yours. Only mistake I see is you give up the sleeve grip too easy.

Match 2 - good ground work. When he put his right hand on your hip one transition is to pull up on that arm and transition into kesa gatame. A younger guy would of been more difficult to keep in side control. Like the opponent in your first fight.

Judo is learning these transions. Thanks for sharing your matches. It is fun for us to give our critque in helping you out.
4/17/11 11:23 AM
PoWdA101

Missing Glove Tape - Congratulations!

Eh, I doubt I'd have scored that an ippon since you plopped down (first) onto your buttocks rather than with impetus on your back. But whatever, not every call goes you way. You're definitely still learning, but credit to you on your posture since you kept your head up for the most part instead of staring at your toes when you took grips. Not a bad drop seoi attempt either, imo.

Why'd the ref call matte during the choke? Who knows. Maybe she didn't see how tight you had it in, and by then you'd had 25+ seconds on the ground, so without obvious advance in play to osaekomi or near submission/tapout that would warrant more time the idea is to keep the action going, thus a restart on the feet.

2nd match. Would've been nice to see how you transitioned to newaza. But other than that, the only observations I can make are seeing a lack of hip pressure/laying heavy, especially when you were thinking in between kuzure kesa and yoko shiho in order to beat his arm, and also some confusion in your grips during the holddown. What were you thinking/trying with that lapel grip? Why keep the farside underhook? If it were me, armchair judoing, of course, I'd have opted for the classic under head/neck collar grip with the left hand and either the crotch pin or belt grip with the right hand, off my knees, driving into the holddown as much as possible(laying heavy) with both, as seen in the illustrations below.

Thanks for the post. The reason for the awkward side control is that I was originally trying to transistion for Kesa Gatame but got stopped halfway. The guy was gassed and I could feel it and knew that all I had to do was hang on. 

I keep hearing that that should not have been ippon. I was told the same thing in my first match as well which has no video. Whatever. It was a great learning experience and tons of fun. Again, thank you for reviewing my matches!
4/17/11 11:26 AM
PoWdA101

PoWdA101 - 
Missing Glove Tape - Congratulations!

Thanks for the post. The reason for the awkward side control is that I was originally trying to transistion for Kesa Gatame but got stopped halfway. The guy was gassed and I could feel it and knew that all I had to do was hang on. 

I keep hearing that that should not have been ippon. I was told the same thing in my first match as well which has no video. Whatever. It was a great learning experience and tons of fun. Again, thank you for reviewing my matches!
Yeah when I had that side control on him he tried to roll me and i put my foto back into his guard and posted out to keep that from happening. I was working toward Kesa Gatame when he tried to roll me. 

4/17/11 1:30 PM
mocarroll
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am pretty new to Judo also but I have done a bunch of tournaments over the last year. You learn a lot doing tournaments right? It is funny how nervous you get before you walk out there, but lately I haven't been getting nervous. I like being a little nervous though. Oh well.

You did great for your first time out. One thing I noticed is that you didn't try very hard to get both hands on the gi. The first time you guys walked out and both allowed each other normal kumi kata. In that exchange, you ended up trying a credible seionage. The next two exchanges, he prevented you from getting the grip right away, and you didn't try to get both hands on him after that. He then was the aggressor in tachiwaza. His first attempt I thought was a yuko. The last attempt would not have been an ippon except that you flopped to your back after you fell on your butt. The ref gave him continuation. If you watch high level judo, the guys try to roll completely over on a throw, because even at that level, you will get continuation.

Congrats on your first tournament. You really start to see your progress when you start doing shiai. You learn somethings that you would not necessarily learn if you never did them.

Marcus
4/17/11 2:08 PM
judoblackbelt
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You experienced one of the great "mysteries" of judo and that is the score had different opinions. I have seen throws at the beginning levels of judo where the side judges,ref, head ref and top dog ref all disagreed on a call. And the top dog ref is an A level ref. The head ref made the call that stood. The top dog ref just gave his opinion to me. Welcome to judo.
4/17/11 3:22 PM
PoWdA101

Yeah I need to shut up about the judges just a little frustrating.
4/18/11 7:54 AM
judoblackbelt

Not shutup, just develope ippon judo. The "scoring" will be there all your days of judo. Good thing about judo is the double elimnation format, or round robin format where everyone fights everyone regardless if they loose 2 matches(example 5 man round robin,each has 4 fights) or a true double elimination where everyone fights until they have 2 losses except the eventual winner. If you have an earlier loss and win your remaining fights, you could end up fighitng the guy who had no losses. If you beat him then there would be a rematch since both of you have 1 loss. This format is brutal. In a contest pay attention to all the competitors in your brkt. What they do good//not so good. If you have a bad fight forget it and get ready for the next. Your coach should be helping/instuct you in doing the things you are capable of. Not the time to experiment.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.