UnderGround Forums

Michigan Underground >> Amateur fighters are suckers.

4/17/11 8:49 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
StephenL
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i'll single out his income so you can understand it better. suckers.

http://www.mlive.com/sports/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2011/04/the_race_to_regulate_amateur_m.html

Ahrens, whose promotions have included successful series at DeltaPlex in Walker and Wings Stadium in Kalamazoo, said he made about

$500,000

his first year in amateur MMA.

All such shows in Michigan have three things in common: The fighters are unpaid; the shows are conducted outside the structure of any standardized rules, including medical requirements; and promoters have the potential to reap attractive profits.
4/17/11 8:52 AM
StephenL

oh wait, you have the potential of sponsorships and receive free t shirts.

stephen
4/17/11 9:20 AM
glock4life
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't forget you could get your pic on a poster!
4/17/11 9:37 AM
StephenL

and RESPECT!!!!

and the freedom to make yourself into a god on your Facebook page.

RESPECT!!

as an aside, i'm announcing that i will start promoting Ammy MMA. free t shirt in it for you.

can you cut my grass too? there's a chance that a landscaping crew will pass by and offer you a job.

stephen
4/17/11 5:17 PM
mortician
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol.
4/17/11 8:28 PM
ashleigh11
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

so what you're saying is ALL AMMY SHOWS ARE B#@L$H!t?
4/17/11 8:31 PM
mortician
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Promoters take the money, fighters take the pain, they find a new sucker they do it again.
4/18/11 4:48 PM
BigMike77
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

and stephen takes it in the ass.

/end of thread
4/18/11 7:13 PM
mortician

That's was me quoting larry holmes.
4/19/11 8:56 AM
StephenL

BigMike77 - and stephen takes it in the ass.

/end of thread

mike as an NAAFS rep who brought the 1st sanctioned MMA fight in MI, your opinion is skewed.

stephen
4/19/11 8:57 AM
StephenL

Edited: 04/19/11 9:00 AM
dumbass dp is dumbass.

stephen
4/19/11 6:47 PM
Angelo Popofski
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't understand the new crop of ammy fighters that have 15 to 20 amateur fights. I understand taking 2, 3, maybe 4 fights to make sure you can go through with it and it's something you have the desire to do. MMA is not something I'd want to do a couple of dozen times for free. Too much at stake. I feel sorry for these guys that fight, get a nose or orbital socket broken and are left paying the bill. However, what can you expect when you fight for free, have no health insurance and fight for a promoter who has no medical coverage for his event... That's like playing out in traffic and being upset you got hit by a car.

The whole issue about how much $$$ goes straight into the promoter's pocket is a joke, and a totally different topic. That's why the state NEEDS to have amateur MMA regulated. Shows at fair grounds, barns, and bars are a joke and, I feel, an embarrassment to the sport.
4/19/11 9:53 PM
lazybjj

Angelo Popofski - I don't understand the new crop of ammy fighters that have 15 to 20 amateur fights. I understand taking 2, 3, maybe 4 fights to make sure you can go through with it and it's something you have the desire to do. MMA is not something I'd want to do a couple of dozen times for free. Too much at stake. I feel sorry for these guys that fight, get a nose or orbital socket broken and are left paying the bill. However, what can you expect when you fight for free, have no health insurance and fight for a promoter who has no medical coverage for his event... That's like playing out in traffic and being upset you got hit by a car.

The whole issue about how much $$$ goes straight into the promoter's pocket is a joke, and a totally different topic. That's why the state NEEDS to have amateur MMA regulated. Shows at fair grounds, barns, and bars are a joke and, I feel, an embarrassment to the sport.

I agree. I saw a guy who had 30 ammy fight. Far to many to not get paid.
4/20/11 12:32 AM
Train Judo

Perhaps it isnt ammies that are suckers but suckers that are suckers....sponsors are for money at the amateur level...To say ammies are suckers because the promotuion doesnt pay them is to have no fucking understanding of what amateur atheletics is about what so ever..Then again LOpez did start this, so....it's fitting..
4/20/11 1:09 PM
BigMike77
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

StephenL - 
BigMike77 - and stephen takes it in the ass.

/end of thread

mike as an NAAFS rep who brought the 1st sanctioned MMA fight in MI, your opinion is skewed.

stephen

I'm not a naafs rep but I thank you for the complement. I did try to look out for the amateure fighters and still do! I think ammy should be regulated. It only helps the fighters.
4/20/11 1:42 PM
bardahl
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Angelo Popofski - I don't understand the new crop of ammy fighters that have 15 to 20 amateur fights. I understand taking 2, 3, maybe 4 fights to make sure you can go through with it and it's something you have the desire to do. MMA is not something I'd want to do a couple of dozen times for free. Too much at stake. I feel sorry for these guys that fight, get a nose or orbital socket broken and are left paying the bill. However, what can you expect when you fight for free, have no health insurance and fight for a promoter who has no medical coverage for his event... That's like playing out in traffic and being upset you got hit by a car.

15 - 20 ammy fights in CA is becoming more common..... but then ammy's fighting under CAMO (and even the CSAC) in CA are getting paid. I've spoken with several who can make $1000 or more per fight, are consistently fed totally unprepared cans, and only have 1/4 of the medicals that local pros have. I know of one that was KO'd cold, suspended by CAMO, and fought 2 weeks later with the promoters/CAMO blessing - no medical testing. Why go pro when you can fight for similar $$, way less med testing, probably no PED testing anywhere near events, no bout scrutiny (cans), etc etc

So figure, it is regulated but its not changing anything - most all ammy MMA in CA are just 'legal' smokers.
4/20/11 2:26 PM
Angelo Popofski
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Train Judo - Perhaps it isnt ammies that are suckers but suckers that are suckers....sponsors are for money at the amateur level...To say ammies are suckers because the promotuion doesnt pay them is to have no fucking understanding of what amateur atheletics is about what so ever..Then again LOpez did start this, so....it's fitting..

TJ... I know what you are saying and I agree. As an amateur it is GREAT to have all these shows, and they should have a "few" fights to test the waters. I'm talking about the same guys that I see at every amateur show fighting. Amateurs have a much better choice of shows to fight in now and that's great. Promoters can and have the right to make money, but they shouldn't do it at the fighter's expense. I remember when we would fight at Kerry Roop's and stuff like that. Now THAT is amateur. Safe, but still gave guys a taste of what fighting is about. Why would a promoter ever want or need to put on a "pro" card when they can use the same cage, same venue and practically the same fighters BUT the only difference being that all the money goes into their pocket? To fans it looks the same as a pro sho, unless it's the UFC. Why wouldn't they put on only ammy shows? Amateur atheletics is about testing yourself, getting experience and building your confidence... not padding your record and making someone else money.
4/21/11 7:47 PM
StephenL

Edited: 04/22/11 7:58 AM
are you aware that amateur fighters' cornermen and schools have been paid by promoters? <br /><br />stephen
4/22/11 8:01 AM
StephenL

Edited: 04/22/11 8:06 AM
jesus this website. trying to add the word 'have.'

i'm most concerned of the concussions. kids have no idea how bad it is to fight or spar after being knocked out cold.

i've been around enough long time boxers to know that brain injury slows a knucklehead down.

kids. wanna see yourself in 10 years? go to the boxing jungle or kronk and speak with an old timer.

stephen
4/22/11 9:21 AM
BigMike77

StephenL - jesus this website. trying to add the word 'have.'

i'm most concerned of the concussions. kids have no idea how bad it is to fight or spar after being knocked out cold.

i've been around enough long time boxers to know that brain injury slows a knucklehead down.

kids. wanna see yourself in 10 years? go to the boxing jungle or kronk and speak with an old timer.

stephen

I agree with you steve. When the state failed to regulate amateur the only thing I can think is someone just got paid. Why else to keep it unregulated,I spoke with Bernie Profato many times and he was urging michigan to adopt ohio's rules and ranking system. Christ they already have the data base set up. To me it was a no brainer.
4/22/11 11:48 PM
Train Judo

Edited: 04/22/11 11:49 PM
Angelo, Im not saying I disagree with your points, merely that I disagree that ammy fighters are suckers..I say suckers are suckers..Ammies can make more than pros if they do it right...

That said, in an unregulated state it isnt the promoters fault for trying to make $$, it's the state's..Ya cant blame the promoters for using a loophole, what business man wouldn't..talk to your government.

My guys will make money either way..because they aren't suckers... Hell, i make money every time they fight now too.
4/24/11 9:23 AM
StephenL

cash money or fightwear from a guy who prints out t-shirts in his mom's garage?

stephen
4/24/11 10:24 AM
Angelo Popofski

Q, I think we are both saying the same thing. There are guys that will fight 15-20 ammy fights just to say they are "fighters". Meanwhile the promoter is the only one making any money. Amateurs need to be a little smarter with their time and safety. If they start demanding more, the promoters will have to give it. I laugh when promoters promise fights in a cage, or pyrotechnics. That doesn't do anything to help or protect the ammy's, yet they jump at the chance because they think it will lead to a bigger opportunity. Unfortunately there'll always be someone who will fight for a free tshirt. Phone Post
4/25/11 6:46 PM
StephenL

oh the coughing i miss at the old csf.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=cc3_1303620690

stephen
4/26/11 2:26 AM
seann123
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

StephenL your a sucker

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.