UnderGround Forums

Michigan Underground >> Amateur fighters are suckers.

4/26/11 11:22 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
StephenL
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sean. you are so right.

stephen
5/11/11 6:04 AM
Train Judo

Cash and Product Stephen, we have great sponsors here in Jackson!! We are very proud to have Rapid Refill, Effect Brand Clothing, Jt's Corral and Peak's Premium Meats as sponsors!!! They not only make it feasible for our guys to dedicate themself to fighting amateur MMA by supplying them with gear, food, cash per fight and training fees but also make sure I am taken care of for my time as well...They also always buy vip tables to all the shows our guys fight at and help by sponsoring the shows themselves..They will be in the house may 21st front and center at Hierarchy as well, for example.Feel free to introduce yourself, albeit they may shun you a bit as they tend to respect fighters more than the fans:)...
5/11/11 6:24 AM
David@accu

An ammy fight is simply put money flying out of the fighters pocket. I wouldn't call anyone a sucker for fighting ammy but i think there should be like a limit of 5-10 fights then you are forced to go pro. I don't think anyone would accept if there boss asked them to work without pay, so why would you fight without pay? If some of these kids are looking to be real pro's that have to approach every aspect as a job down to the smallest thing like writing off training equipment on your taxes. 

5/11/11 1:13 PM
Train Judo

"so why would you fight without pay?"

Same reason you wrestle without pay, do judo without pay, do bjj without pay, box and kickbox without pay, etc..Its an amateur sport..

Not everyone is ready to go pro, even after 20 fights.Hell boxers sometimes have 200 fights before they go pro..

Point being, there is a point to amateur athetics and you dont just go pro after 5-10 fights, you go pro when you are skilled enough and it's the right time in your sporting career..

Until that time, this is what sponsors are for..This is not a promoters problem and they arent robbing fighters of anything..Its an amateur sport, just so happens in this amateur sport, unlike others, people enjoy watching it...Hell in other amateur sports people dont and you have to pay to do it..let alone get paid!!
5/11/11 1:16 PM
Train Judo

And btw, if you think some of these ammies out here are going to be ready for pro mma after 5 fights, I question what you see in this sport on the daily..You watching fights Im not? Shoot, some of these guys have 10 fights now and still cant finish a technique properly...
5/13/11 10:35 PM
StephenL

thanks Q, but i'm retired from watching shows.

i am interested in meat from peak's premium though.

stephen
5/14/11 7:19 AM
David@accu

Train Judo - And btw, if you think some of these ammies out here are going to be ready for pro mma after 5 fights, I question what you see in this sport on the daily..You watching fights Im not? Shoot, some of these guys have 10 fights now and still cant finish a technique properly...

I threw a number out there. But do disagree that someone with 25 ammy fights should just move on. I understand there is a skill level difference but at sometime if fighting is what the individual wishes to do for a career, he isn't going to be making much in Ammy.
5/17/11 4:42 AM
Train Judo

Again, I disagree...But what do I know.. ive only been doing this what? 20 years:) Bro, not everyone looks at this as a career. Most just do it for fun...

That said, regradless, ammies can make just as much if not more than pros if they know how to sell themselves...

For example, you have 5 major sponsors, each pays you 300.00 per fight....Thats 1500.00 per fight.Good luck finding that in pay as a par or subpar pro..

Not sure if you think everyones pay is based off chuck liddells, but, it isnt....

So dont assume there is more money in being pro, because it isnt true...
5/17/11 8:09 PM
JASON ANDERSON

ok so ammy s got sponsors take those same sponsors plus a pay check now your talking duh i said the same thing about ammy s beina a joke and a y all wanted 2 do was talk shit dammm what a difference
5/18/11 3:35 AM
Train Judo

^prime example of someone who should ALWAYS be an amateur..Or at least as long as it takes him to learn how to spell it.
5/18/11 7:59 PM
JASON ANDERSON

THATS NEW EVERY CHUMP ON HERE WHO I DISAGRE WITH SAYS THE SAME SHIT IS ANYBODY ORIGINAL KEEP TALKING ON THE COMPUTER AND I LL KEEP BEING A WARRIOR AND FIGHTING PROFESIONALY
5/19/11 11:43 AM
Train Judo

I suddenly feel like George from of Mice and Men.
5/19/11 1:31 PM
dom10
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JASON ANDERSON - THATS NEW EVERY CHUMP ON HERE WHO I DISAGRE WITH SAYS THE SAME SHIT IS ANYBODY ORIGINAL KEEP TALKING ON THE COMPUTER AND I LL KEEP BEING A WARRIOR AND FIGHTING PROFESIONALY

as someone who was an ammy for a long time. I really needed that time to develope my style. going pro is like a reset button and you only get one. as far as sponsors go, does anyone really sponsor a sub par pro?? i mean if you have a long line of losses you don't really represent their product. sponsorship is a sales expense, your a walking billboard, sop if your not doing well you make them look bad. also ammy's have more opportunities to fight, and to fight locally which can also mean ticket sale percentage. which is a great way to earn as an ammy. not all pros can fight in their hometown, so sales and sponsors can be hard to get on the road.
5/20/11 11:46 AM
StephenL

i'll never forget dave knagg's sponsor in a gomez fightzone event.

irv's working crew. or something like that.

stephen
5/20/11 11:48 AM
StephenL

quincy. how bout that meat?

i want it now.

stephen
10/21/11 2:16 AM
closedgaurd

FSF-Fighters Supporting Fighters.......I've pushed hard in the year and now we can see results.....MAMA looks great and appears to be more for the amateur fighters.... Samuel Keith Bussell~ underground advocate...
10/21/11 2:52 AM
closedgaurd

i'll never forget dave knagg's sponsor in a gomez fightzone event.

irv's working crew. or something like that.

Irv's roofing......old school

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.