UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Gil Melendez: Boxing will be great for Nick Diaz

4/17/11 5:22 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1258 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

"I think Nick is the type of guy who just likes to challenge himself personally. He does the Ironman, that's why he did MMA, and that's why he wants to do boxing. He wants something to motivate him. I don't think he cares what anyone thinks, win or lose or what. He just wants to challenge himself and that's what he's going to do. I think he's also put himself in a good situation, where he has that bargaining chip now, maybe they're going to be forced to give him that top opponent to stay in MMA. So I think he’s in a great  situation."

"I respect that he's going to step in and do boxing and go outside his comfort zone and test himself. I think it's amazing and I think Fernando Vargas might be making a mistake.“

“Just the dollar figure (for fighting a major match in boxing) and all that as well, I don't know what the contract says; it's just going to be a lot more persuading and also might evolve the MMA game as well."

"I know I can't hang with … top level pro boxers, I'm realistic, I know I'd get smashed.  Now Nick Diaz … goes spar with Andre Ward who to me he is the best 167 pounder in the world out there and he survives. He has bad days,  he might even have good days and that's the toughest guy in the world. If he can hang with him and have good days against him … I think he will do just fine with someone like Fernando Vargas and a lot of guys out there. He spars a lot of tough guys. He's already doing it, he's already there. He's also not naive about stuff, so I think it will be great for him."

4/17/11 5:40 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Evilzpet
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would love for Diaz to go in and beat a top level boxer. It would shut the boxing trolls up for sure.

Oh wait, no it wouldnt.
4/17/11 5:47 PM
kizzy

This is a tatic that nick and ceaser are doing to get nick in the Ufc n better comp cuz he's right there's is nobody else for him in strikeforce. Woodley is not a worthy challenger. He wants in the Ufc to get the big fights, and if Dana don't bite then I believe he will follow through and box. If he can get a name like mayorga whos promoter is don king I think he could make a million.
4/17/11 6:04 PM
JDSFTW

Any top level boxer abuses Diaz in a ring Phone Post
4/17/11 6:12 PM
H@GG!S

Would be great for MMA if he could do it.......but i dont see him beating any pro boxer.
4/17/11 6:19 PM
HogWatcher
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So boxing with Ward and Omar Henry means nothing? None of the people who think he will destroyed have ever seen him box. I will take the opinion of pros over forum guys. What we have seen is some of the best hands in MMA. I don't know that he could beat anyone that matters, but he wouldn't embarrass himself either imo. Phone Post
4/17/11 10:26 PM
jaseprobst
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It would be interesting to watch, but Diaz is virtually unknown in pro boxing. I don't know what route he would take - build up his record by winning 8-10 fights (and that's no guarantee he can do that - unless he fights total stiffs, as none of us have any idea how his style translates to pro boxing).

That's a lot of time and dedication. Honestly the risk-reward in doing boxing is pretty poor right now. He's in his MMA prime and his stock has never been higher, and time away from MMA wouldn't help him a whit. If it's something he wants to do, great, he should do it, but boxing is a long road and there's a million ways it can go south. There's big money in it for the Pacquiaos and Mayweathers but those guys have been dominant for years.

Even to get perceived as a credible challenger for a beltholder would take two years, minimum, and a hectic schedule. It kinda reminds me of Jordan leaving the Bulls to try baseball. Nick's doing great at MMA, why fix what isn't broke.
4/17/11 11:50 PM
orcus

Nick's doing great at MMA, why fix what isn't broke.

I think because he seems to hate MMA.
4/17/11 11:53 PM
Body Shots
666 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not saying Diaz won't get destroyed in the boxing ring but if he did win against a mid to top level boxer how many of you would change your initial stance? Phone Post
4/18/11 12:09 AM
da Vinci 81
178 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jaseprobst - It would be interesting to watch, but Diaz is virtually unknown in pro boxing. I don't know what route he would take - build up his record by winning 8-10 fights (and that's no guarantee he can do that - unless he fights total stiffs, as none of us have any idea how his style translates to pro boxing).

That's a lot of time and dedication. Honestly the risk-reward in doing boxing is pretty poor right now. He's in his MMA prime and his stock has never been higher, and time away from MMA wouldn't help him a whit. If it's something he wants to do, great, he should do it, but boxing is a long road and there's a million ways it can go south. There's big money in it for the Pacquiaos and Mayweathers but those guys have been dominant for years.

Even to get perceived as a credible challenger for a beltholder would take two years, minimum, and a hectic schedule. It kinda reminds me of Jordan leaving the Bulls to try baseball. Nick's doing great at MMA, why fix what isn't broke.

This is pretty much it. Nobody in boxing gives a shit about Nick Diaz. Thinking he's going to get a high profile fight and a million dollar payday right off the bat is ridiculous.

Like others said, this is likely a negotiation ploy to get more money and bigger fights by threatening to leave Strikeforce for boxing.
4/18/11 12:18 AM
Gullivers Travels
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If this has more to do with bargaining power then it is a dumb move. He has everything to lose and little to gain at the moment. If he goes out and loses badly (which seems very possible) you can pretty much kiss any big UFC contract goodbye. If he wins then yes it puts him on a path for more money and fame, but he is not going to get to the top in boxing immediately, and that's IF he wins all of his fights.
4/18/11 12:38 AM
Greenup
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I doubt Diaz would strike in an mma fight the same as a boxing match. He has the tools to do it and who cares if he loses to a great boxer or even a mediocre boxer he will always be a mma fighter at heart. Let the man make his millions Phone Post
4/18/11 1:00 AM
Evilzpet

bsrizpac - 
Evilzpet - I would love for Diaz to go in and beat a top level boxer. It would shut the boxing trolls up for sure.

Oh wait, no it wouldnt.

This folks is what MMA has come to. Attracting goofballs like this as "fans".

Will.Never. Happen. Retard.

Hehe I was looking for you specifically. Garbage troll all butt hurt over James Phoney. HAHA you should have just pretended you didnt read this post. I think you might just keel over and die if Diaz knocks out some of your boys. Oh and Diaz already has won a proboxing match against someone with a winning record so everyone on here who says Diaz would stand no chance sounds fucking retarded. Especially shitpack.
4/18/11 1:48 AM
Evilzpet

YouCantHandleMyRiddum - 
Evilzpet - 
Oh and Diaz already has won a proboxing match against someone with a winning record so everyone on here who says Diaz would stand no chance sounds fucking retarded. Especially shitpack.

To be fair, Diaz beat a guy who was also making his debut... A guy who ended up being a 7-4 tomato canand who only beat 2 guys with winning records.

Your argument is invalid.

Argument is invalid? Do you even know what argumentation is? Explain what logical fallacy I used. You apparently have not had much, if any, college. Just because you disagree doesn't make my argument invalid.

Everyone on here is screaming like Diaz would last 30 seconds with a pro boxer, but he beat one with a winning record. Im willing to be that you the majority of this thread didn't know that fact, including you. The guy Diaz beat also went to decision with Andre Dirrell, so he can't be that far down the ladder.
I could make the same argument about Mike Tyson with your logic.
Diaz is tough as nails, has great heart, good hands, and world class cardio. Diaz would be also able to use his hands more skillfully with large gloves which he can use to deflect shots with. To say that Diaz would have no chance is utterly retarded. Lol at my "argument is invalid," consider yourself owned.
4/18/11 2:19 AM
taxidriver

Mikey Rourke used to spar with Hearns and Toney. This is his record:

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=29155&cat=boxer

Those two draws were gifts. Look at his opponents quality. Now compare those to Vargas. Sparring is sparring.

4/18/11 8:38 AM
FSMA

Diaz fans need to realize something;

The guy hasn't fought a top 10 opponent in his last 10 fights. He isn't going anywhere in MMA much less boxing, where the talent pool is 1000X times deeper than MMA.

Please, lay down your bongs. He is good yes however, he's a big fish in a small pond.
4/18/11 10:28 AM
kizzy

Oh no doubt I agree mayorga would murder him but I don't Kno if he thinks that
4/18/11 10:45 AM
LittleC
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FSMA - Diaz fans need to realize something;

The guy hasn't fought a top 10 opponent in his last 10 fights. He isn't going anywhere in MMA much less boxing, where the talent pool is 1000X times deeper than MMA.

Please, lay down your bongs. He is good yes however, he's a big fish in a small pond.

True. However, its not like Diaz is out there trying to exploit his opponents weaknesses. Even if his competitions overall game isnt top ten worth, their strengths usually are, and thats what Diaz does, play into their strengths and beat them. I dont think you can simply dismiss his abilities as a big fish in a small pond.
4/18/11 10:47 AM
Theonlyvivid

FSMA - Diaz fans need to realize something;

I believe Boxing having a larger talent pool than MMA is completely false. Theres several shallow divisions in Boxing, where in MMA, theres top flight competition in every division. The shallowest division is the MW, mainly because one fighter has dominated for years. But I dont agree at all with this post. Talent in HW, LHW and Cruiserweight divisions are non-existent.
4/18/11 10:50 AM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Whatever makes him happy. I just hope he gets paid well.
4/18/11 10:52 AM
bodybag76

Evilzpet - 
bsrizpac - 
Evilzpet - I would love for Diaz to go in and beat a top level boxer. It would shut the boxing trolls up for sure.

Oh wait, no it wouldnt.

Hehe I was looking for you specifically. Garbage troll all butt hurt over James Phoney. HAHA you should have just pretended you didnt read this post. I think you might just keel over and die if Diaz knocks out some of your boys. Oh and Diaz already has won a proboxing match against someone with a winning record so everyone on here who says Diaz would stand no chance sounds fucking retarded. Especially shitpack.

If you only had a clue how ignorant you sound, especially when you think youre making some type of valid point. There's real educated mma fans, there's the TUFers and then there's posters like you..
4/18/11 11:14 AM
crowbar
821 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/18/11 11:20 AM
There is a promoter in Stockton that can "build" Nicks boxing record.I know that this can be accomplished,as it was done with a guy I went to High School with in Manteca.Tony "Red" Dominquez.16-0 with 14 KO`s.Tony fought alot of Ham-n-Eggers in Stockton to please the hometown crowd IMHO. 
4/18/11 12:55 PM
Evilzpet

bodybag76 - 
Evilzpet - 
bsrizpac - 

Oh wait, no it wouldnt.

If you only had a clue how ignorant you sound, especially when you think youre making some type of valid point. There's real educated mma fans, there's the TUFers and then there's posters like you..

Every post I read is about how Diaz wouldn't stand a chance with any pro boxer even though he has ALREADY BEAT ONE. If my point is so invalid feel free to post a coherent retort rather than your lame "tenor tuf noob doesnt know shit" argument. Anything can happen in the ring, whether it is mma, boxing, or whatever. All Im saying is that Diaz, if he puts his mind to it, may do well in boxing for the reasons already stated. This isn't like Jordan trying Baseball; crossovers between combat sports can be viable.
4/18/11 1:37 PM
bodybag76

Evilzpet - 
bodybag76 - 
Evilzpet - 
bsrizpac - 

Oh wait, no it wouldnt.

Every post I read is about how Diaz wouldn't stand a chance with any pro boxer even though he has ALREADY BEAT ONE. If my point is so invalid feel free to post a coherent retort rather than your lame "tenor tuf noob doesnt know shit" argument. Anything can happen in the ring, whether it is mma, boxing, or whatever. All Im saying is that Diaz, if he puts his mind to it, may do well in boxing for the reasons already stated. This isn't like Jordan trying Baseball; crossovers between combat sports can be viable.

Everyone knows he can beat a pro boxer! There are bad pros EVERYWHERE, especially mma, being that its probably the easiest sport to become a "pro" in. What he CANT do id beat an average/good/great boxer and there is NO shame in that. Doing something part time is not the same as doing something fulltime. Its not the same as going up against someone who's been doing it since he was a kid, who has 150-200 ammy fights, who's went through the amatuer ranks and who has conquered his division and has been a champion. If he wants to go up against someone like that, be my fukn guest.

A couple of the most ignorant things that I read on these boards is when ANYONE brings up sparring. FUCK sparring!!! If you belong or have ever belonged to a boxing gym, you would see what sparring is all about. Its practice, its working on things, its going like 60%. The less talented less accomplished sparring partner is most likely going harder than that, while the gym champ is just laying back, countering, working on movement, seeing what he can and cant get away with, basically getting rds in and soaking everything in. If anyone here thinks that Nick Diaz is Andre Ward's SPARRING PARTNER youre crazy! Has he sparred with Ward?? Yes. Is he as good as Ward's real sparring partners? NO. Nick Diaz is not a boxer but I applaud him in his quest, I HONESTLY do, its a very tough sport to get into and I DO think he has the mental makeup to do average. I dont think much of his chin, his punching power, footwork, boxing ablity as a whole but I DO like the way he goes to the body, the boxing has helped him tremendously in MMA, especially his bodywork.

Another ignorant statement that people throw out there and Im not just talking to you, is the old "anything can happen" LOL. Do you really want that as a defense? Is that really an argument?? Shit I guess I can go fight an over the hill Roy Jones Jr right now and give him a run for his money! Why?? Because Ive been in the ring with Montell Griffin and landed a few punches on him (sparring) and everyone knows Montell gave RJJ his first loss, granted it was a disqualification but I think he was up on the scorecards. PLUS I have 13 amatuer fights AND most impotantly ANYTHING can happen in the ring! See how silly that sounds? I know I aint shit but you can use that analogy anywhere at anytime. You have REAL boxers that go up against each other that you KNOW are going to get their asses kicked, ie Klitschko vs Briggs, Pac vs Margarito, Donaire vs Montiel, Gamboa vs Solis, etc etc.. The losers in all those matches and MOSt matches have a small chance to win even though they didnt. Even though they had a punchers chance, even though "anything can happen" it didnt. And these are all real pros, with real careers with real amatuer pedigrees who KNOW boxing. Diaz is still learning boxing. Something that he learnstoday is something that these guys have known, used, learned how to throw it, avoid, counter it etc.. Youi see what Im getting at?

Ask yourself thins, in boxing where theres no takedowns, where its nothing but your fists, your chin, your balls, your footwork, your defense, etc.. what in the hell would Nick Diaz show these midlevel to highlevel pros that theyve never seen before? Thats he going to WOW them with? Whats he going to do when something works once or twice but they adjust to it afterwards? And whats he going to do when they figure him out, laugh at him and say Ok rookie, my turn! And they turn around and bring the offense to him and now HE has to defend? Does he know how to defend? Can he fight going backwards? Does he know how to PROPERLY hold  and survive? Has he been through this type of fire before? Remember he cant go to his back and recover and this aint sparring anymore. You really see things going well for him in this scenario?? I dont. But then again, we have the old "Anything Can Happen" defense LOL.

For the record, I LOVE Diaz
4/18/11 2:42 PM
Allyooken

Nick Diaz would get schooled in the striking department by GSP, forget about what a Pro Boxer would do to him, unless he fights some can.

If he wanted to get paid and make big bucks, he should have tried to sign with the UFC. Why did he sign a 4 fight deal with Strikeforce if he wanted to fight better competition?

Now all of a sudden he realized the WW division in SF is weak?

Seems like Nick is wanting some of that UFC cash now that they own Strikeforce, stop whining and go bitch at your shitting management.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.