UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Judo seminar Chicago

4/18/11 4:40 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
matt murdock
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sorry for the short notice!  www.valkobjj.com

This upcoming tuesday, April 19th, starting at 7pm, Valko BJJ will host a special Judo class!  Teaching the class will be Olympic Judoka Andreas Toelzer and RJ Cohen.

This is an extremely rare occasion and should not be missed!  The cost is $10 for Valko BJJ students and $15 for guests.  Don’t miss the rare opportunity to train with one of the best Judo practitioners in the world!

4/18/11 6:45 PM
judoblackbelt
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Matt, Who is going to be "uke" for Tolzer? This guy is so big for him to demonstrate throws he needs someone thats comparable size. Maybe that Czech guy from Tohkon is available. Knowing RJ he will have an "uke" to help demonstrate. Lets us know how the seminar worked out. Has the knee healed and are you back to training judo? I am making plans for the Senior Nationals next weekend in Orlando.

4/19/11 6:11 PM
matt murdock
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We've got a few big guys lying around the gym that he can throw.

My knee is feeling much better. I've been rolling BJJ for the last week or so, probably another few weeks before I'm doing live judo.

Good luck at the Nationals!
4/19/11 8:17 PM
judoblackbelt
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Glad to hear the knee is doing better. You can do a alot of judo without live sparring. The Nationals is the chance to see all the best US judo players at once. And some of the Masters (30 and over with age brkts and weights). Very competitive. And the winner(s) of the Seniors(29 and under) have a chance to qualify for the World Team Championships and Pan Am Championships. I remember that big guy from Tohkon who is a brute -Peter Babich. Hopefully some of the Tohkon/Cohen guys will participate. Lets us know how the seminar goes.
4/19/11 8:52 PM
judoblackbelt

And there are more good judo schools in the Chicago area I know RJ has passed the info to- Fox Valley judo has a big older (World Masters Competitor) Polish guy and Gurnee judo.
4/27/11 7:28 AM
judoblackbelt

Matt,
How was the seminar, attendance? What did Tolzer each and what did you learn? Did you get the support from the judo schools in the area? Usually when you get an Olympic level player like Tolzer it attracts all the locals.
5/9/11 6:24 PM
matt murdock

It was great. Just my guys in attendance, about 30 people. He showed some great stuff. He's a big guy so it's a little different. Showed uchi mata with a double lapel grip, duck under single leg and my favorite was a throw fake to get the guy to hip forward, then step behind and body slam.

Another German guy named Tony was there, he helps RJ run one of their schools. He has the smoothest rolling throw I've seen. I can't remember what it's called right now, you do a back roll and throw the guy over you.
5/9/11 7:44 PM
jayflo145
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

matt murdock - It was great. Just my guys in attendance, about 30 people. He showed some great stuff. He's a big guy so it's a little different. Showed uchi mata with a double lapel grip, duck under single leg and my favorite was a throw fake to get the guy to hip forward, then step behind and body slam.

Another German guy named Tony was there, he helps RJ run one of their schools. He has the smoothest rolling throw I've seen. I can't remember what it's called right now, you do a back roll and throw the guy over you.

His name is Tony Lettner, he has a killer "Sumi gaeshi". He was a quite the 73kg-er.
5/9/11 8:25 PM
judoblackbelt

It could of been Tomenage also. Just type in on you tube and the technique will come up. Tony teaches at Cohen's. I saw him compete and he does (sacrifice) throws. I heard from Irwin that Richard Trautmann National level/Olympic level player was coming to Cohen's. Don't know any details. All the best and keep training judo.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.