UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Pavelich: "Celebrity referees" asking $5k to $10k

[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
4/18/11 4:58 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Card
2027 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mark Pavelich press release:

But I find no rationale out there that is a satisfactory explanation as to why a few particular referees are charging exorbitant fees. They have, in effect, in become “celebrity referees.”
It’s outrageous and absolutely inappropriate. These certain referees are charging anywhere from $5,000 to $10,000 just to show up, bark out a catchphrase, and supervise a fight. But these fees aren’t being paid by any commission. They are paid by a show owner or promoter. And quite frankly it’s sad that some promoters feel obliged to pay them and put them front and center on a poster.

And how can you not call into question the ethics of these referees. Would you not expect their loyalties to be torn when some promoter is willing to pay them 10K, and that same referee is then calling the action when the promoter’s top fighters are in action.

It’s time for the commissions governing MMA to put a pay structure in place for all referees. They would be paid according to their experience, the level of competition they have overseen, and even feedback from notable fighters and insiders. There are a number of very good referees out there, including those that have worked recent MFC events. But even they shouldn’t be allowed to just toss out a price tag, or have a commission toss out one for them. There should be a pay scale in place – here’s what you get paid (plus reasonable expenses) … take it or leave it.
You don’t see referees in the NFL or NHL tossing around numbers, and then getting paid according to their individual requests. They are paid a set price by a league (in MMA’s case, a commission), and the best ones are hired for more high-profile games and playoffs.

I will not be goaded into paying for overpriced referees. Most do a good job, but I will never pay a referee more than a fighter, and I will never pay a referee a ridiculous fee just because he’s been around for a while and has a trademark intro.
And I will not be bullied by a commission who just shoots a number in the air, expecting me to pay what they want to give a referee when it’s not their money. My staff and I have contacted referees first hand and know exactly what they will take as their fee.
4/18/11 5:02 PM
goodandevil
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good for the refs. Get what you can, while you can. Pavelich is not a good person.
4/18/11 5:03 PM
romophobia
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm
4/18/11 5:04 PM
irishrottie
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cecil peoples worked hard to create ad refine his spastic karate chop. deserves the dinheiro imo.
4/18/11 5:06 PM
smoogy
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Aww, poor Pavelich can't afford to put Big John on his poster
4/18/11 5:07 PM
Anarkis
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

goodandevil - Good for the refs. Get what you can, while you can. Pavelich is not a good person.
4/18/11 5:14 PM
ABE FROMAN
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Then you will put in second-rate refs that will call the fight as soon as it hits the ground.

Welcome Cecil Peoples the the MFC.
4/18/11 5:22 PM
CindyO

Edin -  Name them Phone Post

This.

Cindy
4/18/11 5:30 PM
Chris
366 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, COO
I'm very confused. The commission will provide quality refs to an event under their juridstiction.

If you want a ref to fly in and work for your event under that commission's authority, then that ref has the right to ask for any fee he wants. And you have the right to not bring him in?
4/18/11 5:38 PM
asn
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't follow. If you're running a show that's sanctioned by a commission then don't they provide the refs and I assume set the pay?
4/18/11 5:39 PM
CindyO

UltraMagnus - 
CindyO - 
Edin -  Name them Phone Post

This.

Cindy

Wat do you mean "name them?"? Thats the point or is even relevant...

I'm asking him to name the refs that tried to charge him $5,000-$10,000 plus expenses to do their job. If he's going to do a press release to gripe about it then he should be willing to name names, IMO.

Cindy
4/18/11 5:39 PM
PatrickFreitas
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chris - I'm very confused. The commission will provide quality refs to an event under their juridstiction.

If you want a ref to fly in and work for your event under that commission's authority, then that ref has the right to ask for any fee he wants. And you have the right to not bring him in?

and yet the MFC brass cant deduce a "satisfactory explanation."
4/18/11 5:40 PM
Golden Boy
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Big John
4/18/11 5:45 PM
Steps

He's talking about Big John? Who else could it be? Lol. Phone Post
4/18/11 5:45 PM
Steps

He's talking about Big John? Who else could it be? Lol. Phone Post
4/18/11 5:49 PM
TheGARV
301 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAHQ, Click for Sale Price
Chris - I'm very confused. The commission will provide quality refs to an event under their juridstiction.

This.  Unless Canada is different it's up to the commission to supply the refs.  If the promoter is asking for someone from outside the commission, why shouldn't the ref make it worth his while?
4/18/11 5:49 PM
Filo_Beto

Oh pat go f yourself. If you don't want to pay them then don't hire them. Their are maybe 2-3 refs that stand leaps and bounds above the rest. Not to mention those names offer legitamcy to your show.
Problem is that the 10k is not going into your pocket because if it wasn't for the exuberant fees surely out of the goodness of your heart you would give that extra money to the fighters.
4/18/11 5:54 PM
PatrickFreitas
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Filo_Beto - ...if it wasn't for the exuberant fees surely out of the goodness of your heart you would give...

i'm gonna guess you mean "exorbitant."
4/18/11 5:55 PM
TheGARV
301 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAHQ, Click for Sale Price
PatrickFreitas - 
Filo_Beto - ...if it wasn't for the exuberant fees surely out of the goodness of your heart you would give...

If you're the ref it's exuberant.
4/18/11 5:55 PM
PatrickFreitas

TheGARV - 
PatrickFreitas - 

If you're the ref it's exuberant.

lol
4/18/11 6:05 PM
smoogy
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/18/11 6:08 PM
Oh wow. EXUBERANCE!

4/18/11 6:27 PM
2JupitersTooMany
1788 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

[quote]Maximum Fighting - ttt[/quote] 

Who won the exciting MFC contest?
(74) [3612] by 2JupitersTooMany - 1 2 3
4/18/11 6:27 PM
radiobaby
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You dont write blank checks? Good to know.

There are better refs that Big Jon that I'd bet don't charge those numbers.
4/18/11 6:41 PM
CaptainXanax
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Exuberant referee ^
4/18/11 6:42 PM
pervert

[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.