UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> Orthodox Catechism (Russian): Ridge a ?

4/18/11 6:39 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Grakman
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ridge,
Can you take a look at this and tell me whether it's worth a look? It's only 47 pages anyway so I will probably read it tonight but I'd like to know your thoughts.

An Online Orthodox Catechism
4/18/11 6:42 PM
Grakman

From Page 2:

Christianity does not aim to dot all the i's by answering all the questions the human spirit has to ask. But it does open up another reality which transcends all that surrounds us in this earthly life. Once this reality is encountered, the human person leaves behind all his questions and bewilderment, because his soul has come into contact with the Divinity and falls silent in the presence of the Mystery which no human word can convey.
4/18/11 8:09 PM
Ridgeback
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Grakman,

While there isn't anything like an official Catechism of Orthodoxy like Catholics have, that is a pretty good one.  It was written by Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev whose writings I always find enlightening and representative of Orthodox thought.  
4/18/11 8:18 PM
Ridgeback
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here is the link for the article on the descent into Hades written by the same author.  I figured I would put it all in one place so it is easier to find it.  

http://orthodoxeurope.org/page/11/1/5.aspx
4/18/11 8:22 PM
Ridgeback

Here is a more direct link to Bishop Hilarion's page.  He wrote a book on my patron saint Isaac of Nineveh, who is counted among a handful of definite believers in Universal Salvation.  While CU is not a teaching of the Church (because we can't know for sure the final outcome of all things) it is perfectly acceptable for an Orthodox Christian to hold to a personal believe in CU and certainly most Orthodox agree that it should be a hope of all Christians.  

http://en.hilarion.orthodoxia.org/6_6
4/19/11 11:43 AM
Grakman

Thanks for the info Ridge, you're always spot on with the resources. I didn't finish the catechism last night as I intended, hope to do so today.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.