UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Judge: Don't leave it in the hands of the judges

4/19/11 1:42 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1033 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

Saturday night Bellator featherweight champion Joe Warren won a controversial unanimous decision over Marcos Galvao in a non title fight. All three judges gave the bout to Warren, a result that found few supporters outside of Warren's immediate family. Indeed, responses from the MMA community ranged from 'controversial' to 'fix'.

The greatest source of controversy was judge Chuck Wolfe, who, alone, called the second round for Warren. MMAFighting caught up with Wolfe, who defended his decision, although he declined to go into a detailed account of the second round.

"It could be one takedown different, it could be one punch different, it could be one kick different, it could be one attempted submission different."

"I've judged and refereed since the beginning of the sport, I've been head official for over 600 different bouts. If you want to question my credentials, I think I have way more than anyone out there to be qualified to judge. I know fans get disappointed, but I don't think you're going to have Joe Warren fans complain about how the decision went."

"Did he damage Warren in that fight? Yeah, he did, for a short period of time. I remember the bout very clearly. When they are close rounds there's one thing or maybe two things that might put someone ahead. ... You can grade it 10-10 but you might as well not be there if you're not going to score someone to win the round."

"There are a lot of things that a fan will cheer about outside the cage, but each judge has a different viewpoint and a different angle. Unfortunately, judges don't have a replay, don't have a rewind, they just have to judge by what they see."

"He had three rounds to take Warren out if he really wanted to beat him -- he had three rounds to dominate Warren, as well as Warren had three rounds to dominate him. It's up to the fighter. ... Don't leave it in the hands of the judges, especially when it's a close fight."

Read entire article...

4/19/11 1:45 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
caposa
1558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

so pathetic
4/19/11 1:45 PM
Luigipe
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Don't leave it in the hands of the judges, especially when it's a close fight."

is 110 % right
4/19/11 1:49 PM
caposa
1558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As a fighter, leaving a fight in the hands of the judges should not be something you have to worry about. Especially when it is not a close fight.

thats a tagline that is used to give an excuse to judges not performing their jobs properly

its bullshit, especially coming from a judge. Thats essentially saying, "Don't leave it in my hands, I'm not competent at my job."
4/19/11 1:49 PM
RavenFighter

"Do not talk to the press without first having received authorization from the commission and/or the WBC Supervisor."

- World Boxing Council
   Basic Guidelines
4/19/11 1:51 PM
iamblake
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This article is an indictment of everything wrong with judging in mma. Phone Post
4/19/11 1:54 PM
My2cents
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Caposa - 100% QFT Phone Post
4/19/11 1:54 PM
KwikTempah

wow , what a self-indulgent prick , how about just call the fight properly ? Phone Post
4/19/11 1:58 PM
Winston Wolf

Caposa is correct .The judge is curropt
4/19/11 2:08 PM
JimmersonzGlove
475 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fucking pathetic...but props for taking the interview.

I would've much rather had him break down every round though.
4/19/11 2:09 PM
Winston Wolf

i dont care if he judged a million fights he sucks
4/19/11 2:12 PM
KwikTempah

proof, if ever we needed it , that these guys are effectively just flipping a coin . Phone Post
4/19/11 2:14 PM
jjj2121

caposa - As a fighter, leaving a fight in the hands of the judges should not be something you have to worry about. Especially when it is not a close fight.

thats a tagline that is used to give an excuse to judges not performing their jobs properly

its bullshit, especially coming from a judge. Thats essentially saying, "Don't leave it in my hands, I'm not competent at my job."

Bingo.  It's a bullshit line that excuses incompetence.
4/19/11 2:21 PM
dom dom dom

Fuck it, why not get rid of judges? If it goes 3 rounds then it's a draw.
JSMHP
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

okay finishing a world champion class fighter in five rounds is fucking hard depending on style match ups a can't imagine how difficult it would be in a three rounder.

Also Chuck sucks you should see him ref amateurs he lets fights go on way to long
JSMHP
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/19/11 2:21 PM
double post
4/19/11 2:23 PM
Mason Mongiat

Judge: Don't leave it in the hands of the judges, because we WILL fuck up
4/19/11 2:24 PM
4thHorsemen
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really don't get why people/judges/Dana White always say "don't leave it in the hands of judges". No fighter makes a conscious decision to let the judges decide who won that fight. They're all trying to win the fight, and don't intentionally leave it to the judges. Plus, I especially don't understand a judge saying this. That is his job. If he can't see or call the fight for what it is, then he really has no business being a judge. Don't say "don't leave it to judges" when you're a judge yourself. If that were the case, then you might not even have a job. Just do your fucking job. Phone Post
4/19/11 2:26 PM
32Hunter

dom dom dom - Fuck it, why not get rid of judges? If it goes 3 rounds then it's a draw.

yes.
4/19/11 2:29 PM
KwikTempah

"if you want a fair outcome, don't leave it in my hands !" Phone Post
4/19/11 2:33 PM
caposa

I would like to hear our resident expert Uncle Justice's opinion on this matter

I find this interesting too:

"When they are close rounds there's one thing or maybe two things that might put someone ahead. ... You can grade it 10-10 but you might as well not be there if you're not going to score someone to win the round."

Total bullshit as well. Striaght from the Unified Rules:

A round is to be scored as a 10-10 Round when both contestants appear to be fighting evenly and neither contestant shows dominance in a round;

If a round is even, it should be scored that way. He is basically admitting that although a round may have been even, he is looking for reasons to score the round in favor of another fighter.
4/19/11 2:42 PM
aarondramp
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How is it possible that the dumbest thing I've ever read on the UG came from a judge?
4/19/11 2:48 PM
Chris Power
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Didn't you guys read it? If Galvao REALLY wanted to win, he would have finished Warren like a REAL MAN.

Somebody should finish this guy - permanently.
4/19/11 2:57 PM
chuckles1
185 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is awful Phone Post
4/19/11 2:57 PM
GetJimiPosterBoyInTheUFC!
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I feel like this guy may have just fucked up a little bit to much with those quotes, and he'll end up like the dude who was making fun of bj penn fans after the edgar fight.

Also, inb4 Kizer says there's no problem with the judging in MMA.  

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.