UnderGround Forums

Hawai'i Underground >> Josh Waitzkin - chess player and martial artist

4/21/11 3:54 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MobutuHari
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've known about this guy for years, and knew about his foray into push hands tai chi with William Chen, but I had no idea he did BJJ and with Marcelo Garcia no less.

Very articulate and introspective guy. A few things that resonate well with me . . esp. the way I've always related to the martial arts and why I guess, I could never think with that sports mentality.

Has couple good videos, but this is the most comprehensive one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTZS3SqpT-o
4/21/11 4:02 AM
FCTV808
280 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

why are you posting videos of greg louganis?

WHY
4/21/11 5:01 AM
MobutuHari

as if. This is the REAL Bobby Fischer. He couldve gotten pussy like when he was 7 if he wanted to.

Greg.... hahahahahaha
4/21/11 5:05 AM
FCTV808
280 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

laugh all you want, but i think he is one in the same...

4/21/11 5:08 AM
MobutuHari

Greggy is gay. We all know gay guys dont do da zhoo zhitsu!

4/21/11 10:59 AM
cypherpunk

I've never heard of him until now, but the first 10 minutes of the interview was fascinating. I'll have to download this and watch it later. Thanks, MobutuHari.
4/21/11 11:12 AM
Wutang
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/21/11 11:12 AM
I remember training with him at John Machados back in the 2004ish? That's where he started before moving back to NY.
4/21/11 2:20 PM
FCTV808

how'd he "feel" wu? lol
4/21/11 5:18 PM
MobutuHari

cypherpunk - I've never heard of him until now, but the first 10 minutes of the interview was fascinating. I'll have to download this and watch it later. Thanks, MobutuHari.

Your welcome CP. I been watching his stuff for a couple of months, but I keep on forgetting to post it. Btw, I just bought his book, "THE ART OF LEARNING" online last night, cause I like reading stuff re: 'pedagogy', (teaching tactics/learning). This kind of stuff relates really well to stuff about FLOW - which is something sports psychologists, game developers, and meditators talk about extensively.

For further reading pick up anything by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi at your local library. Might get kinda complex and if you want shorter versions there are other guys out there that repackage his stuff in more layman's terms, like Daniel Pink and co. (I saw him speak at a conference years ago - AWESOME cat to listen to live).
4/21/11 5:24 PM
MobutuHari

Wutang - I remember training with him at John Machados back in the 2004ish? That's where he started before moving back to NY.

Wow I didn't know he was training that long. I thought he was just doing the push hands competition only then. He's like a 2-time push hands tai chi champ too under the great William Chen. If you have to learn anything practical from tai chi, he's the master to learn something from, and they do san shou competitions as well.

Look on Marcelo Garcia's site - apparently they have an online program teaching BJJ. How'd you like to learn from the original Bobby Fischer?

4/21/11 9:13 PM
Moke
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Give us a report on The Art of Learning when you're done mobu, I've been curious about that book.
4/29/12 2:20 AM
Musashi
250 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's not just a student of Marcelo's. He's a BLACK BELT under Marcelo.
4/29/12 2:31 AM
FCTV808

hey musashi, you're on the HG! welcome
4/29/12 3:56 AM
JIMMYNAKS
300 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Musashi - He's not just a student of Marcelo's. He's a BLACK BELT under Marcelo.
Damn! Legit. Phone Post
4/29/12 3:56 AM
JIMMYNAKS
300 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for sharing Mobutu Phone Post
4/29/12 4:22 AM
Moke
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He wasn't a black belt when this thread started...I think he got it around December.
4/29/12 4:01 PM
MOB U2
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sorry I forgot to give an update. I read about half the book last year during times I waiting for my wife in the truck. I've never finished it yet. He has some pretty interesting things to say. There are about three lessons I recall from reading it last May.

1. Entity-based vs incremental learners. Entity-based learners believe ability is outside of their control; Learning is due to an innate ability that cannot be changed once developed to a certain point. Incremental learners believe hard work develops their ability, and more hard work is key to getting better. Incremental learners under pressure keep with it; entity learners crush under pressure.

From what it seems like entity learners probably were overpraised as a kid, i.e. "you're so smart" etc. etc. Once their belief in their intelligence is crushed, then they cannot adapt and give up.

2. Look for the underlying principles of anything and apply to new scenarios when applicable.

3. Keep a fluid presence and see the bigger picture. He gives numerous examples of people trying to fuck with him while playing chess, and a good example of a dumb broad in NY that yells at a cab that passes her, and b/c she's not paying attention, gets creamed really hard by another card. Basically, don't sweat the small stuff.

4. Learning really involves fearlessness and opening yourself up to being vulnerable. Must think in terms of long-term learning. Coupling it with short term goals within the bigger picture, much easier to be motivated for the longer term.

I guess maybe I'll back to reading it today. For now this guy has a good synopsis apparently - http://sivers.org/book/ArtOfLearning

4/29/12 4:02 PM
MOB U2
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

oops I guess 4 not 3.
4/29/12 4:33 PM
Moke

Awesome, thanks. I'm gonna order from Amazon today.
4/29/12 7:27 PM
FCTV808

agree w/ point 4~!
4/29/12 10:36 PM
MOB U2

Np man. I more ashamed that I can't do a full report b/c I've tabled the remaining half of that book forever. Maybe I should put it on the toilet instead.

Btw, I did get DRIVE (for really cheap) by Dan Pink when Borders was closing. Good book to read alongside this book since both deal with learning and what pertains to us the most . . motivation.
4/30/12 4:19 AM
hackett
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for posting this, I'll check that vid out.

Sam Sheridan's book "The Fighter's Mind" has a chapter focusing on Josh and Marcelo Garcia.

That was the first I heard of the guy. Josh briefly mentions his jiu-jitsu training a few times in another book too.
4/30/12 6:14 AM
MOB U2

^Y'know I read Fighters' Mind once it came out but I totally forgot about that. In fact I think I read Fighters' Mind a few months before I bought Josh's book. I have a habit of reading several books at the same time, and then forgetting what I read b/c I just read too damn much. Knowing this kinda pisses me off now damn. Might have to read Fighters' Mind again as well!

Actually came across Josh Waitzkin's book as a suggested reading on Amazon. Synchronicity I guess. Only reason why I remember those points I think is b/c I read the Art of Learning during wait-times, so like two pages minimum at a time in my truck, about 2x a week.
4/30/12 7:01 AM
Moke

...that's why I just don't read...it's all too much. I only have 56K ram.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.