UnderGround Forums

PhilosophyGround >> Stoicism

4/21/11 3:09 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
VKX
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hello! I'm interested in learning more about Stoicism. I've been told to look at Marcus Aurelius, but I was wondering if there were any other useful authors out there. With regards to Aurelius' Meditations, is there a particular translation that is more useful than others? I've noticed multiple translations being sold for that book. Thanks ~ XKV.
4/22/11 11:25 AM
Joe Ray
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seneca

I like what stoicism has to say about pity and suffering.

About reason and other ethical matters not so much.
5/24/11 12:49 PM
vermonter
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh hey, hope you see this even though i'm a bit late to the party...

My first reading in philosophy was The Handbook by Epictetus, which is a stoic work (Epictetus was Aurelius's teacher) and was written with the layperson in mind. Awesome intro philosophy work in general and especially for stoicism in particular.
7/18/11 5:12 PM
LukeCranson
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does stoicism encourage us to renounce part of what makes us human? To discard our passions, desires and emotional attachments?
7/24/11 1:39 AM
HoldYerGround
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2x Seneca.

LukeCranson, who's work are you talking about?
11/25/13 2:47 AM
scaredy cat
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTTing an old thread just to let interested parties know that Stoic Week 2013 starts today. It's an opportunity to explore Stoicism and its value in the modern world.

http://blogs.exeter.ac.uk/stoicismtoday/stoic-week-2013/

I'm taking part. It should be an interesting experiment.
1/6/14 5:50 AM
duckrabbit
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Read about the cynics first, particularly Diogenes of Synope (contemporary of Aristotle roundabout). Stoicism is basically cynicism combined with the humourlessness of platonism.
1/6/14 10:34 AM
HoldYerGround
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Diogenes, now that's a character. Phone Post
1/6/14 10:34 AM
HoldYerGround

^if I'm thinking of the right guy Phone Post
4/10/14 2:52 AM
The Fella
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

good thread - I'm in the same boat OP. - Love this Quote by Marcus Aurelius

"Say to yourself in the early morning: I shall meet today ungrateful, violent, treacherous, envious, uncharitable men. All of these things have come upon them through ignorance of real good and ill... I can neither be harmed by any of them, for no man will involve me in wrong, nor can I be angry with my kinsman or hate him; for we have come into the world to work together..."

4/20/14 1:08 PM
VKX
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can't believe this thread is still alive! Thanks for all the suggestions.
4/23/14 9:54 AM
duckrabbit
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Stoics are under-read generally in philosophy. I wish I could have done a course on stoicism alone. There are two 'modern' books that very much embrace the spirit and are eminently easy to read, if I may,

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Evil-Great-Minds-Series/dp/157392752X/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1398261172&sr=8-13&keywords=good+and+evil

http://www.amazon.com/On-Basis-Morality-Arthur-Schopenhauer/dp/0872204421/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398261217&sr=8-1&keywords=on+the+basis+of+morality

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.